Differential (F&R) and Transfer Case Fluid change OEM equivalent recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ahsen Khan

Reaction score
I'm owner of Range Rover Vogue SC 2015 (L405) which has completed approx 130k kms (80k miles) in a hot weather environment (UAE).

Its now due for Differential and Transfer case fluid change. After doing research and checking some YouTube videos , I've reached to conclusion to use RP Synchormax for Transfer Case fluid (approx 3 litres) and RP Max Gear 75W90 for Front and Rear Differential (Approx 2 lites)

My question is, would RP gear oil do well for the above application? Do they last as good as OEM recommendations , Shell Tf-0753 & Castrol BOT 720 ?

Share you're experience with other brands. Many thanks

The Dealership is charging approx $700 dollar to do it all for me which is way crazy knowing I can buy the oils at approx US $40/litre from Amazon.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the tools, and can dispose of the old fluids, it isn't a hard job. Just remember to loosen the fill hole before draining. If you can't fill it don't drain it :) As far as fluids go I have used RP in several vehicles over the years it is expensive, but seems to be good. I have also used cheaper fluid/gear oil and it works as well.

Ahsen Khan

Reaction score
That's the plan :D

I did a bit more research into this. Found out that apparently supercharged versions have electronic rear differentials which require special gear oil, Castrol BOT 720 (available only at dealers). The only equivalent to that is Ravenol MDL.

I'm just waiting for the oils to arrive and then would DIY it. I will share the results and experience with changing the oils

alldazed

Reaction score
Just did mine on a 2011 SC. Easy job. I used new crush washers on the transfer case. Hardest part was getting the skid plate off as the bolts were corroded badly due to the Canadian climate.

Ahsen Khan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, in the end had to take it to garage as the bolts for the shield plate were tightened by pneumatic wrench.

Regarding my original post, if someone is planning to do the same, then RP Max gear 75W90 are not recommended for Rear electronic differentials.

I ended up purchasing Ravenol MDL for both front and rear differential. The rear needs about 1.2 liters whilst front needed half (0.5) a liter.

For the transfer box I've used RP Synchromax based on reviews and needed about 1.5 liters

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA