75k mile service - diff and transfer case fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly clarify oil volumes for front and rear diff and Tcase? Some say to oil filler plug level and others say an exact volume is required and to fill plug level is over filling. Owners handbook states approx. total capacity but then says use precise volume. Not v helpful.
Thanks!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly clarify oil volumes for front and rear diff and Tcase? Some say to oil filler plug level and others say an exact volume is required and to fill plug level is over filling. Owners handbook states approx. total capacity but then says use precise volume. Not v helpful.
Thanks!
T case is to fill plug. Diffs are specific volume. I can’t remeber what volume is, but I’d fill what was drained (unless you have a leak).

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front diff was less than a quart(.6 maybe?). Xfer case was 1.5, rear was also 1.7 or so(big rear pumpkin, mine is a locker though. Open diff is smaller). I just filled them to fill holes.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling to the fill holes is an overfill on these.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling to the fill holes is an overfill on these.

This is from an older thread and the volumes I used...

BE1EF170-CB5D-479B-B04A-1D8A7563DE40.png

quirozson

Reaction score
Just completed this maintenance. All fluids looked amazingly clean. Probably could have waited, but hiendsight is 20/20. Used owners manual volumes for front and read Diff. (non locking). Transfer case filled to the fill hole. The amounts listed by Pfunk951 look similar to my manual but off by a few 1/10ths. or 1/100ths. 2011 LR4

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent.. If the fluids looked good, then you can rest assured you didn't wait too long.. I can show you no evidence of drivetrain component failure due to preemptive maintenance, and I could fill your inbox with instances of failure due to delayed maintenance.

Log the service, and roll on.:biggrin:

Mike

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, I installed the dampener on the transfer case to quell the vibration/humming that was noticeable in a narrow rpm range(2500-3000rpm). There is a vacant hole in the transfer case housing. It appears unthreaded but I think it was threaded at one point and got oxidized over time, since there was nothing in there for so long. The re-threading was easy and now the vibrations/humming is gone.

Where did you buy the dampener from ? was it the dealer ? I plan to have mine done this summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi