Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Discussion in 'LR4' started by RBA, Jan 20, 2014.

1. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

@atlanticbritish will hopefully care...I’ve had similar experiences with them in the past. Unfortunate that this issue still persists. I have not ordered from them in some time as there are others that are more than happy to provide exceptional customer service when things are not right...

2. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

Just to close the loop...

I had to virtually beat the guy over the head but eventually got what I asked for the front diff: the same fill and drain plugs as the rear e-locking diff. As I suspected, I was correct. See image below. I knew the fill plugs were the same, but I can confirm the drain plug is the same as well.

Not sure why they sold me 2 quart bottles of fluid since the diff took about 2/3 of a bottle. Fluid was by far the cleaner of the 3 items serviced but still had gotten a bit dark. I lifted the container off the ground so you could see the real color. On the ground it would have looked too dark. Again, this is at a bit over 6 years and 39,378 miles.

Finally, the transfer case is not leaking despite having had to reuse the plugs and copper washers.

By the way, the only reason I used that old m&m container is because I can mark with a sharpie the fill level, dump the old fluid and clean it, and then refill with new fluid to the exact level. Reminder that this has to be done for the front & rear diff, unlike the transfer case.
    IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. Azoo

Azoo Full Access Member

I'm planning to change both differential fluids and the transfer case as well and i'm wondering how do you know if you have an electronic rear locking differential ? My LR is 2012 HSE Luxury limited edition.

4. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

The electronic rear locking differential takes the same fluid as the center transfer case/differential.

5. Quijote

Rear locking diff uses different fluid. At least that is what AB sold and I confirmed it with manuals.

Transfer case fluid:

[​IMG]

Rear e-locking diff fluid:

[​IMG]

6. Quijote

You can google this but there is an electric motor on/next to the diff. But to have it your vehicle would have had to have been optioned with the HD package (which also came with a full-size spare).

7. Azoo

Azoo Full Access Member

Google didn't help and i dont have a full size spare. I will look under there to see if i have this so called electric motor next to the diff.

8. Quijote

[​IMG]

the black vertical cylinder is the motor.

[​IMG]

9. equalizer

equalizer Member

On AB the kit
    https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM100B
    shows it is for LR4 V8 up to 2013.
    How about SCV6, I have a 2016 LR4 HSE with HD option (SCV6 engine) ?

I did some search, but no post I could find talks about SCV6 or >=2014 MY LR4.

I presume the transfer case, diffs are the same as the V8 MY up to 2013. Correct?

Thanks!

10. equalizer

equalizer Member

Atlantic British replied to my info request on transfer case/diffs oils for a SCV6 2016 LR4 HSE with HD package with a "we don't have a kit available for yours at this time".
    I.e. they only carry the kit for LR4 for V8 not the SCV6.

Still wondering if the diffs and transfer case are the same though. If anyone has that info, please share below. Really appreciate any help.