Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.

I'm fairly disappointed with this guy at Atlantic British. He seemed to not care at all that the kit has the wrong hardware. Despite implying he would contact the tech group to resolve the issue, nothing happened. I told him the specific parts that seem to be wrong via the photo on their website for the kit. He did no homework on it to figure out what was what, so I had to do the work for him. I hope to get the two plugs I think I need shortly.

Here is the summary of my issues with that kit, at least with my late-build, 2013 LR4 HSE LUX with the HD pkg (with the electronic rear diff).

The kit, https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM100B, has all the correct fluids. The issue is with the plugs. For what is worth, their photo of the kit is accurate in the sense that you will get exactly what is on that photo even though some items are incorrect.

Transfer case: As you can see from the image below, on the left is one of the two plugs that came out of the LR4. On the right is one of the two plugs that came with the kit. The kit has the wrong size (too small). Atlantic British says that is all they have and tough luck. All they were willing to do is issue a refund on the small plugs.

xfer-case-plug-sizes-jpg.10208

Rear, electronic differential: Both plugs, fill and drain were correct. No issues.

Front differential: Correct fill plug (same as rear diff), but wrong drain plug. See photo below. The one they sent is way off. It has a shoulder, no thread-locker compound, the size is smaller, and has a smaller hex drive instead of the 3/8" square drive. It also has no built-in magnet.

Though I cannot confirm it yet, it appears that drain plug on the front differential is the same as the one used in the rear differential. Again, Atlantic British was unwilling to sort out the error saying there was nothing they can do besides issuing a credit for the plug that doesn't work.

front-diff-wrong-plug-jpg.10213

At this point, I've simply asked them to send me the fill and drain plugs for the rear diff and I hope they will work on the front diff.

I'd like to know for sure what the part numbers are on my 2013 LR4 for:

1) Transfer case plugs and washers
2) Front differential drain plug

Can anyone help with this? I'm sure others will run into this.

@atlanticbritish will hopefully care...I’ve had similar experiences with them in the past. Unfortunate that this issue still persists. I have not ordered from them in some time as there are others that are more than happy to provide exceptional customer service when things are not right...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to close the loop...

I had to virtually beat the guy over the head but eventually got what I asked for the front diff: the same fill and drain plugs as the rear e-locking diff. As I suspected, I was correct. See image below. I knew the fill plugs were the same, but I can confirm the drain plug is the same as well.

Not sure why they sold me 2 quart bottles of fluid since the diff took about 2/3 of a bottle. Fluid was by far the cleaner of the 3 items serviced but still had gotten a bit dark. I lifted the container off the ground so you could see the real color. On the ground it would have looked too dark. Again, this is at a bit over 6 years and 39,378 miles.

Finally, the transfer case is not leaking despite having had to reuse the plugs and copper washers.

By the way, the only reason I used that old m&m container is because I can mark with a sharpie the fill level, dump the old fluid and clean it, and then refill with new fluid to the exact level. Reminder that this has to be done for the front & rear diff, unlike the transfer case.
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG

Last edited:

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to change both differential fluids and the transfer case as well and i'm wondering how do you know if you have an electronic rear locking differential ? My LR is 2012 HSE Luxury limited edition.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electronic rear locking differential takes the same fluid as the center transfer case/differential.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electronic rear locking differential takes the same fluid as the center transfer case/differential.

Rear locking diff uses different fluid. At least that is what AB sold and I confirmed it with manuals.

Transfer case fluid:

old-vs-new-xfer-case-oil-jpg.10210

Rear e-locking diff fluid:

dirty-rear-diff-jpg.10211

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to change both differential fluids and the transfer case as well and i'm wondering how do you know if you have an electronic rear locking differential ? My LR is 2012 HSE Luxury limited edition.

You can google this but there is an electric motor on/next to the diff. But to have it your vehicle would have had to have been optioned with the HD package (which also came with a full-size spare).

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can google this but there is an electric motor on/next to the diff. But to have it your vehicle would have had to have been optioned with the HD package (which also came with a full-size spare).

Google didn't help and i dont have a full size spare. I will look under there to see if i have this so called electric motor next to the diff.

equalizer

Reaction score
On AB the kit
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM100B
shows it is for LR4 V8 up to 2013.
How about SCV6, I have a 2016 LR4 HSE with HD option (SCV6 engine) ?

I did some search, but no post I could find talks about SCV6 or >=2014 MY LR4.

I presume the transfer case, diffs are the same as the V8 MY up to 2013. Correct?

Thanks!

equalizer

Reaction score
Atlantic British replied to my info request on transfer case/diffs oils for a SCV6 2016 LR4 HSE with HD package with a "we don't have a kit available for yours at this time".
I.e. they only carry the kit for LR4 for V8 not the SCV6.

Still wondering if the diffs and transfer case are the same though. If anyone has that info, please share below. Really appreciate any help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA