Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this what people have purchased? I have the locking rear diff.
Has anyone had to change out the bearings and do an overhaul of the front or rear diff?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM100B

This is the list and the combined cost is $239.95

Genuine Differential Fluid: Rear Electronic Locking Differential 1 Liter Castrol Bot 720 2 $95.90
Differential / Axle Oil 75W90R GL5 Fluid 1 Quart 2 $43.90
Transmission Fill Plug 1 $11.95
Fill Plug Rear Diff 2 $5.90
Drain Plug Differential Rear 1 $3.95

Plug Transfer Case Drain/Fill 2 $9.90
Washer Drain/Fill Plug Transfer Case 2 $1.90
Genuine Transfer Case Fluid 1 Liter / 1.05 Quart By Land Rover 2 $79.90

Well, I think it's time. I'm just past 6 years and at nearly 39k miles.

I'm placing an order for the kit above from roverparts. This is still the right collection of item, correct? It seems lo list for $197.95 now, so I guess the price went down a bit.

I also plan on changing the transmission filter and fluid.

Did LR come up with an OEM split filter?! Note that roverparts now has TWO kits:

The kit we were aware of:
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKWFL

A similar kit with an OEM filter. (???) I thought the OEM filter was all one unit with the snorkel sticking out, which was the whole point of the new kit.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKOMEWFL

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think it's time. I'm just past 6 years and at nearly 39k miles.

I'm placing an order for the kit above from roverparts. This is still the right collection of item, correct? It seems lo list for $197.95 now, so I guess the price went down a bit.

I also plan on changing the transmission filter and fluid.

Did LR come up with an OEM split filter?! Note that roverparts now has TWO kits:

The kit we were aware of:
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKWFL

A claimed "OEM" kit with a split filter.
https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ATFCKOMEWFL

On the differential fluids, just make sure you order the correct fluid if you've got the rear e-locker. Rear diffs with the rear e-locker use the same synchro fluid as the center diff; rear diffs without the rear e-locker use a more standard diff fluid.

Regarding the transmission fluid, I saw that when I ordered my kit earlier this year. If the "OE" one is Land Rover branded, I'd be kinda surprised if it wasn't just a Land Rover branded version of the cheaper kit.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the differential fluids, just make sure you order the correct fluid if you've got the rear e-locker. Rear diffs with the rear e-locker use the same synchro fluid as the center diff; rear diffs without the rear e-locker use a more standard diff fluid.

Regarding the transmission fluid, I saw that when I ordered my kit earlier this year. If the "OE" one is Land Rover branded, I'd be kinda surprised if it wasn't just a Land Rover branded version of the cheaper kit.

I have the HD pkg with e-locking diff, so I think I have the right one linked.

On the kit, It's an additional $80 for the OEM one. I wonder if I should just pay it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HD pkg with e-locking diff, so I think I have the right one linked.

On the kit, It's an additional $80 for the OEM one. I wonder if I should just pay it.

It doesn't help that Atlantic British used the same description for both items, stating that "this kit includes the Original Equipment Land Rover filter."

If the cheaper one was a ZF branded filter, I'd go with that, considering that's who made the transmission. But it's hard to tell. I can look for you when I get home (I haven't used my kit yet) and see what brand is on the filter.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that Atlantic British used the same description for both items, stating that "this kit includes the Original Equipment Land Rover filter."

If the cheaper one was a ZF branded filter, I'd go with that, considering that's who made the transmission. But it's hard to tell. I can look for you when I get home (I haven't used my kit yet) and see what brand is on the filter.

That would be great if you don't mind.

Also, I know this is t-case & diff thread, but should I change the mechatronic sleeve and valve body sleeves? My car shifts fine and has less than 40k miles, so I am thinking no.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be great if you don't mind.

Also, I know this is t-case & diff thread, but should I change the mechatronic sleeve and valve body sleeves? My car shifts fine and has less than 40k miles, so I am thinking no.

That’s a toss up. I’d say you’re probably good for another 60k miles at least on the sleeves and valve body. Seems like you’re doing a more aggressive service schedule so if you’ll be in there in another 40k, I’d say no.

Your transmission is probably due for its first oil swap and new filter at 70k. Is there a reason you’re doing it sooner? Sounds like no problems and no reason to do it yet. If you hold on the oil til 70k, I’d say definitely do the bridge and sleeves at that point.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a toss up. I’d say you’re probably good for another 60k miles at least on the sleeves and valve body. Seems like you’re doing a more aggressive service schedule so if you’ll be in there in another 40k, I’d say no.

Your transmission is probably due for its first oil swap and new filter at 70k. Is there a reason you’re doing it sooner? Sounds like no problems and no reason to do it yet. If you hold on the oil til 70k, I’d say definitely do the bridge and sleeves at that point.

I have considered waiting two more years until 50-55k miles. Maybe I should do that and just do the t-case & diff fluids for now.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you break open the slushbox, go ahead and do the bridge/seals. It's a messy job regardless, you might as well make the most of making a mess.

IIRC it is simply 13 more torx screws and 40 bucks. You can also then drain the fluid out of the mechatronix so you get a more complete fluid replacement.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered waiting two more years until 50-55k miles. Maybe I should do that and just do the t-case & diff fluids for now.
That’d be my approach. It’d be worth replacing them with a bit more time and mileage. That fluid should be replaced at about 70k, especially if you do some towing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi