Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheaper of the two transmission kits appears to be Britpart.

Knowing that Britpart can be hit or miss in quality, I'd probably go with the OE kit if I was ordering today. It's not enough to make me want to swap it out now, though. I imagine the transmission pan probably comes from the same factory. And I can't imagine Britpart gearing up to make the filter themselves--there's got to be only a few places out there that make the parts, and I just can't see one being a crap factory.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheaper of the two transmission kits appears to be Britpart.

Knowing that Britpart can be hit or miss in quality, I'd probably go with the OE kit if I was ordering today. It's not enough to make me want to swap it out now, though. I imagine the transmission pan probably comes from the same factory. And I can't imagine Britpart gearing up to make the filter themselves--there's got to be only a few places out there that make the parts, and I just can't see one being a crap factory.

Thanks! I think I will wait two more years to do the transmission work. I got my diff/locker kit last night as well as new air filters (since I have never changed them).

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm doing the fluid changes for the diffs and transfer case.

First, transfer case:

First thing I noticed is that the drain/fill plugs they sent do not match and I could not use them. I had to re-use the old ones. Not happy about that at all.

xfer case plug sizes.JPG

Beyond that, all was well besides the fact that at just over a quart I first noticed some dripping and thought it might be filled. I waited and kept going and it took nearly another 1/2 quart before I got a real thin drip and then it was full. The photo below shows the color of the old stuff as well as how much was left on my second bottle when the job was done.

Old vs new xfer case oil.JPG

Next, rear electronic diff:

Here is the dirty fluid along with the old plug with the filings wiped off on the side:

dirty rear diff.JPG

Here is the new fluid:

clean rear diff.JPG

It took pretty much exactly 1.6L.

Now the front diff, and here is where I am annoyed. This is the drain plug they sent, and this is the drain plug on the diff (which looked exactly like the rear one):

front diff wrong plug.JPG

I have removed the fill plug but hesitate to drain the fluid because I'd have to reuse the drain plug, and I really rather not do that.

I think I might put on the new fill plug, and call them and have them send me the right drain plug and a new fill plug.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I decided to use the new fill plug to close up the diff and make it usable until I get the proper plugs from Atlantic British.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that the service above was done at 38,878 miles. No off-roading and not much towing except for a 300-mile round trip towing a (U-haul car trailer with a car on it), but it is a Boston-area LR4, so it sees plenty of snow.

Fluids look pretty dark. We'll see about the front diff when I get the right drain plug.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just about to do the trans/diff/TC fluid swap as well, and am curious if anyone knows if there’s a torque converter drain on the LR4s?

I found one thread that said there wasn’t, but another thread that says there is...sooooo....I bought enough fluid to do a full replacement. That said, if I can’t get all the old out, I’ll just save whatever is left for the next fluid swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just about to do the trans/diff/TC fluid swap as well, and am curious if anyone knows if there’s a torque converter drain on the LR4s?

I found one thread that said there wasn’t, but another thread that says there is...sooooo....I bought enough fluid to do a full replacement. That said, if I can’t get all the old out, I’ll just save whatever is left for the next fluid swap.

nope, there’s not

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, that sucks...oh well, half change it is! Thanks!

you’ll get more out than 1/2. If you leave it open for 24 hours, you’ll be amazed at how much more will drip. Also, highly suggest new seals on mechatronic if you are changing transmission fluid

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve got all the seals coming for the mechatronic as well. I figure if I’m dropping the pin, I might as well take care of it all while I’m in there. We’ve got about 150K on the truck...so she’s probably due....next up....timing chain and electric water pump conversion! (As soon as I can afford the $4K to buy all the parts!)

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.

I'm fairly disappointed with this guy at Atlantic British. He seemed to not care at all that the kit has the wrong hardware. Despite implying he would contact the tech group to resolve the issue, nothing happened. I told him the specific parts that seem to be wrong via the photo on their website for the kit. He did no homework on it to figure out what was what, so I had to do the work for him. I hope to get the two plugs I think I need shortly.

Here is the summary of my issues with that kit, at least with my late-build, 2013 LR4 HSE LUX with the HD pkg (with the electronic rear diff).

The kit, https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DTCM100B, has all the correct fluids. The issue is with the plugs. For what is worth, their photo of the kit is accurate in the sense that you will get exactly what is on that photo even though some items are incorrect.

Transfer case: As you can see from the image below, on the left is one of the two plugs that came out of the LR4. On the right is one of the two plugs that came with the kit. The kit has the wrong size (too small). Atlantic British says that is all they have and tough luck. All they were willing to do is issue a refund on the small plugs.

xfer-case-plug-sizes-jpg.10208

Rear, electronic differential: Both plugs, fill and drain were correct. No issues.

Front differential: Correct fill plug (same as rear diff), but wrong drain plug. See photo below. The one they sent is way off. It has a shoulder, no thread-locker compound, the size is smaller, and has a smaller hex drive instead of the 3/8" square drive. It also has no built-in magnet.

Though I cannot confirm it yet, it appears that drain plug on the front differential is the same as the one used in the rear differential. Again, Atlantic British was unwilling to sort out the error saying there was nothing they can do besides issuing a credit for the plug that doesn't work.

front-diff-wrong-plug-jpg.10213

At this point, I've simply asked them to send me the fill and drain plugs for the rear diff and I hope they will work on the front diff.

I'd like to know for sure what the part numbers are on my 2013 LR4 for:

1) Transfer case plugs and washers
2) Front differential drain plug

Can anyone help with this? I'm sure others will run into this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA