75k mile service - diff and transfer case fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
Regarding fluids for tranny, diffs and transfer case - Fancy $$ fluids required from dealer or Atlantic British or the like, or are there alternative aftermarket options?
Pentosin ATF1 is made to oe spec for transmission (what I’m running now). 5 quart jug will run you $80 on amazon. Drain and fill is about 5.5-7 quarts. AB sells lifeguard 6 from zf for about $27 a quart plus shipping. They sell a kit for the filter change (including 7 quarts of fluid) for north of $300, if I recall correctly. I’ve used this kit and it was pretty hassle free. If feeling adventurous, also swap out the mechatronic sleeve (additional purchase)...sometimes these develop a leak and only way to replace is by dropping the pan. AB has a great video outlining the repair.

Some say Mercron SP is ok (ford zf fluid for same transmission), but my experience with that fluid was not great. Mercron SP did not cause issue, just caused Trans to hold gear a bit longer and harsher than desired 2-1 shift after about 1000 miles.

Last edited:

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend getting and paying for the best. In the long run... I waited till 80k to do the big fluid change - was happy to spend the $$$ at that point.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most have discovered that following Land Rover service recommendations on fluid changes is a great way to need a new Land Rover a lot sooner.

I've seen streets as well driveways of LR owners being marked territories with no need to change fluids as new is constantly added due to their massive but considered normal oil leakage......~~=o&o>......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="scott schmerge,
"Some say Mercron SP is ok (ford zf fluid for same transmission), but my experience with that fluid was not great. Mercron SP did not cause issue, just caused Trans to hold gear a bit longer and harsher than desired 2-1 shift after about 1000 miles.[/QUOTE]"

If you run Mercon ATF as to Ford's spec and it shifts a little too firm or harsh, switching to GM's ATF fluid will result in softer and smoother shifts due to their fluid having slightly more lubricity properties.
Same opposite results replacing GM's fluid in a GM vehicle by adding Ford's spec Mercon ATF this will firm up too soft of shifts plus make more aggressive shifts. Called fine tuning especially with rebuilt and modified automatics......~~=o&o>......

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
Regarding fluids for tranny, diffs and transfer case - Fancy $$ fluids required from dealer or Atlantic British or the like, or are there alternative aftermarket options?

"Fancy $$ fluids required from dealer". That's a joke as LR changed their "required fluid" in the R380 5 speed THREE TIMES within a two year time period. They didn't know but one thing of having their head UP AND LOCKED.
Same with anti freeze requiring phosphate and silica free anti freeze by LR. A couple weeks to a month later their bulk coolant barrels went from a pink tint to orange to green then a light red color coolant. Coolant color changes depended on the best bulk barrel price they can get including changing brands of bulk engine, diff and transfer case gear oil in drums. I always made a note of what flavor of the month in oil brands they had on tap at a given time stopping by to chew the fat B S N with the mechanics and service (Tech) writer friend.
With LR was constantly changing brands of fluids you can guess just as good as they with what brand flavor you want to run in your LR just as well as the dealerships.

Nitrogen in your tyres a must have people are told that pay extra for, wait doesn't plain air already contains 78% nitrogen, air is damn near 21% oxygen? We do use 100% nitrogen in our aircraft tyres (love Limey for tires) at United Airlines.....~~=o&o>......

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run Mercon ATF as to Ford's spec and it shifts a little too firm or harsh, switching to GM's ATF fluid will result in softer and smoother shifts due to their fluid having slightly more lubricity properties.
Same opposite results replacing GM's fluid in a GM vehicle by adding Ford's spec Mercon ATF this will firm up too soft of shifts plus make more aggressive shifts. Called fine tuning especially with rebuilt and modified automatics......~~=o&o>......[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Pentosin ATF1 was about 1/2 the cost of the zf life guard 6, so a full 10 quarts is ~$160. Much more budget friendly and looks, smells, and functions exactly like the lg6. I’m happy with the fluid I’m running now. Some people say zf just puts their label on the Pentosin, but I have not verified.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75w-90 on my LR3

I bought from autohausaz . com - no tax, free ship if you spend $48+

Castrol diff oil is $19, genuine LR TC fluid is $32, LifeGuard 8 is $26

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trinidad- I have the Febi in mine, also bought from RM.. I spoke with one of their techs, and he stated that chemically it was near identical to ZF.. 23k since I installed the new pan and it is running smooth as ever.. I am going to do another drain/refill in 7k more..

Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when you do the refill process. If you choose not to, you will remember me when your forearm touches the exhaust..

Good luck!

Mike

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple is the only one I've found to have a suitable replacement for the transfer case or the rear (if fitted with a locker).

Regarding transmission fluid, my opinion is that it's best to stick with OE or the stuff Atlantic British sells.

I am assuming you put Synchromax in the xfer case? What did the rear locker take?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut