Looking at LRs at around 100'000 miles - I'm planing to change the following....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IanSR

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been looking on autotrader and Motors in the UK and have seen some LR4s at 100'000 miles ish.
The following is what I'll be changing myself.
Alternator.
Oil pump.
Water pump.
Oil change & filter.
Oil sump filter
Belts
Battery

This may seem OTT, but I just want to make sure everything is working. I'm planning on keeping this a long time and doing a lot of travelling up and down the UK and into Europe.
Is there anything I should also look at for future replacements or at least be aware of?
I have a garage and a lot of the usual tools.
Kind regards

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine has to be removed to replace the oil pump and screen.

alldazed

Reaction score
What engine/engine choices are there in the UK ? I’m assuming different from N. America ?

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would add front and rear cross over coolant pipes to the list for sure. They go brittle and can self detonate resulting in catastrophic coolant loss. Would consider doing hoses at same time.

Front lower control arm bushings fail every 50k km or so. You will hear clunking, but you can drive quite a while like that. Normally a pita to replace as bolts sieze due to lack of antisieze applied by garages.

FYI Front brake wear is heavy with these. Expect to replace front disc's every other pad change.

Another FYI, make sure rear handbrake shoes are properly adjusted, otherwise you will have issues with electronic handbrake says he that has had an inoperative one for 2yrs. $$ for new module and another pita to reset the system, even if new module not required (access issues).

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can probably add the air suspension compressor to the list. Either rebuild old one or buy aftermarket. Mine just went at 100k miles. Not that pricey (aftermarket) and straightforward to replace, although bolt access a bit fiddly.

IanSR

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has answered.
I've made a spreadsheet with all the tips.
On Autotrader, there seem to be some pretty nice models at my price at around 70,000 mark.
Will get back to the UK first, and have a great long look.
Kind regards

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72