I love my truck, but I hate my truck...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You should hang out on the forum for the 2014 Acura MDX that I have been on for the past 8 months. This forum is a breath of fresh air after the constant venting and anger and frustration on that Acura forum. It got so bad over there that I simply don't go there anymore. Many of us who spend what we do on vehicles like this (my MDX was just under $60K) have pretty high expectations. But the experience with the Acura has prepared me for for the LR4. To be fair, my particular Acura dealership took good care of me whenever they could. And now that they replaced the voice/radio unit and upgraded the software (could not do the latter without the former) it does work as "designed". But I know I'll find myself much more forgiving after that Acura experience. Then today my wife reminded me of a couple of things that drove me nuts about my previous RX350.

So I get it if you need to vent. But I most certainly hope this forum never becomes like that Acura forum. So far this forum has been nearly all about helping people do DIY or learn from other's experience and to share insights from experience and to share what people are doing with their Lr4's. That is what makes this forum so worthwhile.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You should hang out on the forum for the 2014 Acura MDX that I have been on for the past 8 months. This forum is a breath of fresh air after the constant venting and anger and frustration on that Acura forum. It got so bad over there that I simply don't go there anymore. Many of us who spend what we do on vehicles like this (my MDX was just under $60K) have pretty high expectations. But the experience with the Acura has prepared me for for the LR4. To be fair, my particular Acura dealership took good care of me whenever they could. And now that they replaced the voice/radio unit and upgraded the software (could not do the latter without the former) it does work as "designed". But I know I'll find myself much more forgiving after that Acura experience. Then today my wife reminded me of a couple of things that drove me nuts about my previous RX350.

So I get it if you need to vent. But I most certainly hope this forum never becomes like that Acura forum. So far this forum has been nearly all about helping people do DIY or learn from other's experience and to share insights from experience and to share what people are doing with their Lr4's. That is what makes this forum so worthwhile.
I am very happy you are leaving Acura for the Land Rover ranks. There are so many MDXs in my town and I can't even imagine actually driving one. :) Just kidding, I know they drive pretty darn well, but it's not my thing at all.

I agree, this forum is great - lots of helpful people and lots of us actually use it for its intentions.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, $71k for a tahoe land barge. That is insane. Even the new one coming out looks pretty cheap inside and the seats fold to an angle, they raised the floor so they could call it 'flat', but it isnt.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, $71k for a tahoe land barge. That is insane. Even the new one coming out looks pretty cheap inside and the seats fold to an angle, they raised the floor so they could call it 'flat', but it isnt.
I have a Tahoe and I can tell you it's very cheap inside. My girls drive it back and forth to UT from CA, or it just mostly stays in UT. It has decent power and it's comfortable, but it's quite different than the LR4. It never goes off road, but does see a LOT of dirt roads.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very happy you are leaving Acura for the Land Rover ranks. There are so many MDXs in my town and I can't even imagine actually driving one. :) Just kidding, I know they drive pretty darn well, but it's not my thing at all.

I agree, this forum is great - lots of helpful people and lots of us actually use it for its intentions.

Dave, I probably shouldn't do this but if anyone wants to feel better about their LR4, even with the issues you may have, you can peruse the 2014 Acura MDX forum below. Especially the thread on software bugs. But there are others as well.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-2014-acura-mdx/

I only show this because it show that even manufacturers with reliability records like Honda can screw up their first model year. I expect they will get many of these issues worked out. But this is why I wouldn't want to buy an overhauled LRx model. Also, these 2014 MDX issues made me realize that I shouldn't avoid Land Rover simply because they have had reliability issues.

This forum made a huge difference in my decision to go with an LR4 not only because of what was shared here but also what sort of dialogue did not happen here. ;-)

Last edited:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your bimmers! My husband has the '09 335xi and has had no issues. It is a catch 22 with vehicles. I wasn't impressed with the x5. We have two kids, and the LR is perfect. The 3rd row is great because it seats adults, not toddlers like most suvs. Thanks for the luck, I will need it!

That's the rub with the BMW's. We already had two 3 series and they were trouble free. Then we went to the 5's. UGGHHH. Wish we had driven the 3's into the ground. Frankly, I'm convinced that the more electronics and equipment you add to a vehicle the worse it will become as time goes on. As an example, all our police vehicles were relatively "bare bones" with the exception of added equipment after manufacture and most went 100K miles trouble free even considering the beating many took. The "upper crust" or "brass" vehicles with all their extra goodies spent considerably more time in the shop as the fancy additions went awry. Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM