I love my truck, but I hate my truck...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 Lux that I bought new, pretty much loaded up except HD package and vision assist.

I love the way it drives, rides and looks. It is as solid of a vehicle as I've driven. The problem is, I'm disqusted with the reoccuring problems I've had with it. Some were just a fluke from the factory, while others have been "dealer inspired".

A few days after I purchased it, I noticed that the rain sensing wipers didn't work correctly because it wasn't affixed to the windscreen properly. Since it would require removing the windshield out of an otherwise perfectly fine vehicle, I opted to wait, with the reassurance that they could fix it at any time and it would be no problem.

Then, I noticed that the HD Radio was not activated. It required a trip (300 miles round trip, thank god they come and get it) to the dealer. They also fixed the rear hatch opening button because it was bad as well.

A few months later, the compressor for the suspension went out and it had to be replaced. After I received it back, I started getting vibration in during braking. Back to the shop and it had a recall or some other known issue with the calipers and rotors.

I got it back and they were good for a while, but started back up fairly soon.
Went back, brakes were worked on, rotor turned.

There were a few minor issues fixed in the interim, but I don't recall what they were at the moment. Then, at around 30K, I decided to go ahead and have the rain sensor fixed. It required a new windshield because they have to be ordered attached form the factory.

I got it back and all seemed good until it rained. I had a wet headliner near front windshield.

Back to the dealer for a remove and reinstall windshield. When I got it back, I noticed that there were greasy hand prints on the headliner. Upon further examination, I also found a cut in the headliner that came from the glass man cutting the seal on the window in order to replace it.

Back to the dealer for a new headliner.

When it came back, headliner was new and perfect.. yeah right.... sunscreen would not close on rear sunroof. Back to the dealer.

Upon receiving, there was severe wind noise/vibration at speed. Upon exam, the windshield cowling was half an inch from the windshield.

Back to the dealer for reseal of window. They also replaced A-pillar clips, molding and cowl molding.

Upon return, wind noise was gone. Everything was good.... until

It rained... Now my new headliner was soaked again, much worse than before.

Back to the dealer.

Headliner partially removed to allow for rerouting of sunroof drains. Inside a-pillar trim removed to adjust tubing.

Upon return, headliner, windshield and drains repaired and functional.

With the exception of the windscreen heating element. Only one side worked.

Back to the dealer to fix that and maybe one other minor item.

Upon return, windscreen worked and all was good for a couple of months.

Then, the cooler box went out that required a trip back.

Then, engine reduced power light. It required partial engine disassembly to replace cam sensor. It also had a coolant hose at back of engine leaking.

The truck was sent out to dealer and then received back just soon enough to take on vacation.

On the road to vacation and kids complain that DVD screens are not working.

Back to dealer upon return from vacation to look at DVD screen.

Initial call from service advisor, "DVD screens working as expected, they were just turned off." I called bullcrap on that. Tell them to drive it. Next call back, "What do you know, you were right. They aren't working properly. Diagnostics show rear screen module faulty."

After waiting for the module to come from England, it was discovered that module would not repair screens. A wire in the drivers seat that goes to the driver's side screen had rubbed and become bare, grounding out the system. Wire was repaired and protected and vehicle was returned to my office this morning.

30 minutes later my dad comes into my office and says, "Hey, how did you get that huge scrape in the front?" I laugh and say, "yeah, real funny dad!"

Turns out, he wasn't joking. Sometime during the past two weeks, it looks like someone backed into the front bumper. Most of the scrape (12") is superficial, but an inch or two is about half inch wide and one and one half inch long where all paint is gone and black plastic of bumper is exposed.

Do, driver was called back and the truck is gone again!

Without looking at the paperwork, I may have an error in the order of occurrence over the past 2 years, but you get the idea. It's one issue after another.

Here's the problem. I like the truck. I actually like the service manager. Even worse, I've driven just about everything else I thought I'd be interested in - Lexus LX570, Mercedes ML, Mercedes GL 450 (ended up with a 2014 GL for the wife), Grand Cherokee, Toyota Land Cruiser, Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5. Nothing really gives me the same feeling as the LR4 (notwithstanding the list of crap associated with it). If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the LX570 or Land Cruiser, but compared to the LR4, they don't have the pep, are cumbersome and are louder going down the road. The Cayenne and X5 aren't what I consider "rugged" trucks, although the X5 M is fun for the power.

I just can't believe that every or even a very few other Land Rovers have this much trouble. They simply would not stay in business. The problem with buying a new one is that I don't care for gas power v-6 engines, supercharged or not.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the rambling rant.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first question is where do you live and who is your dealer? I most definitely DON'T want to go there! If it is in Colorado please let me know as I am trying to decide between two dealers and if this is one of them then that makes my decision easy.

I have not owned a Land Rover but have an 2014 on order. I can still back out. Seeing things like this scare me. But, like you, I can't quite convince myself that a Land Cruiser or LX570 with its 15-year old interior layout is going to work for me. There are too many things I like about the versatility and functionality of the interior of the LR4. And since Land Cruiser and LX are solid axle vehicles they won't change any time soon.

My 2014 would not arrive until June so I have some time to back out. I'd lose my deposit but if I get cold feet and something better comes along I have time. I certainly don't want these sorts of headaches.

Last edited:

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan,

To play nice with dealer, I'm withholding the name right now. I'm in Kentucky, so 150 miles of travel includes quite a few Land Rover dealers, but certainly not any in Colorado.

If the Mercedes GL were just a little more "rugged", we'd have his and hers GLs, but they just aren't. You hit the nail on the head concerning the Toyota derived pair. The solid axle means that the third row seats are never going to be comfortable and are not going to fold flush with their current design. I could live with that and may still yet, but the other issue I have with them is that the leather seems cheap and the sound system is just mediocre.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I struggle sometimes when I see posts like this as I've had zero issues with my '12 in two years. I do have a crack in my roof glass that is about to be repaired next week but that is clearly due to impact of a rock or something else. That is it.

What about trading yours in on a different year - LR4?

JMC08

Reaction score
Wow you have had more than your fair share of issues with your LR4. I was in a similar situation as you last fall with our 2011 Range Rover. My wife and I loved the truck, but I was tired of having it at the dealer every few weeks. It seemed as if half the issues I would bring it in for would not get repaired the first time and every time I turned around, there would be a new problem. Mostly accessory/electrical functions. We too looked at every other SUV out there, but nothing was a "Range Rover" to us. We had contacted Land Rover for help buying the vehicle back, and in return we would order a new 14 Range Rover. The best they would do was give us an additional 2,000 over what the dealer would give us as a trade-in and zero off of the new vehicle. The dealer low balled us, so the 2k was nothing. So, no new Range Rover for us. This was all my wife wanted. We ended up trading it in and ordering a Maserati Quattroporte. We are still waiting for our Quattroporte to come in (its now finally on a boat heading over here) and miss our Range Rover dearly. In the end, I think we made the right decision. We still have a 13 Range Rover Sport that we bought last summer, and we will buy another Range Rover in a couple years. Something about Land Rover keeps drawing you back. When working properly, there is nothing I like better than Land Rover. I can fully understand your frustration, and it does not hurt to check with Land Rover to see if they will help you get out of it. I have driven plenty of LR4's (and almost bought one last summer, and may pick up a 14 LR4 this year) with no issues. Maybe you just happened to get the lemon of the bunch. First, if you can, attempt to get another LR4 (since you are clearly very passionate about Land Rover) if you cant get a good deal, I would then think the Toyota Land Cruiser is your next best/most similar option outside of Land Rover.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was painful to read. (The story, not the writing).

I had to go out and give my LR4 a hug after that.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about all your issues - that is tough. This was the reason why I leased my 2011, as I had a terrible experience with my Discovery back in the 2002. With that said, I had almost 25,000 miles on my 2011 when I traded it in last June for a 2013 (which I custom ordered and bought). During the 2 years I had my 2011, it had no problems except they had to update the computer once. When I traded it in, the brakes were still great, etc. I think a lot of folks on the board who bought their LR4s in 2010/2011 still have them and they are going strong, with minimal non-wear issues. Then, sadly, there are a few folks who have been riddled with problems. I just turned 5,000 miles on my 2013 and have had no problems at all. Then again, I should not expect problems on such a new car - right?

I plan to keep my 2013 long term (at least 5+ years), as I have no interest in any of hte new Land Rover vehicles available in the US. Of anything, I'd likely go with a new Range Rover, but even that, still not sold on the design. A lady at work has a new white Range Rover Sport and the more I see it, the more I dislike the exterior style. The inside is great, but I just can't stand the fact that I have to take a double take and go up close to figure out if it's an Evoque or a Range Rover Sport. I was walking with my other co-worker and she said, oh, it looks just like the other two cars near it, both were Lexus RXs. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess it's a tough situation and I know how you feel. I am 100% planning on buying an extended warranty, the best possible option I can get, I don't care how much it costs. That's probably dumb, but I don't want to own my LR4 after 4 years/50,000 miles unless I have a decent warranty for a few more years. I think if I had that much trouble, I'd get rid of it. I previously wrote about my desire to get a Land Cruiser, but I just couldn't pull the trigger.

Good luck and keep us posted.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 35K miles already. Zero issues other than a prematurely failing battery. Not gonna make you feel any better, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Also, at least half of the issues listed seem to have materialized due to your dealer's poor workmanship and/or plain bad luck. Your Service Advisor may be a wonderful guy, but he must have a bunch of untrained moneys working for him there. Sucks when you don't have choices.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your troubles. No one should have to go through all that. It seems that most of your major issues are more problems with your dealer doing dumb things vs. the car itself breaking. I would try out another dealer if possible.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 35K miles already. Zero issues other than a prematurely failing battery. Not gonna make you feel any better, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Also, at least half of the issues listed seem to have materialized due to your dealer's poor workmanship and/or plain bad luck. Your Service Advisor may be a wonderful guy, but he must have a bunch of untrained moneys working for him there. Sucks when you don't have choices.
I have to agree, so much of the service experience is tied to the advisor and technicians. I am lucky, I live within 30 miles of four (4) Land Rover dealerships (in CA) and the one I go to is really good.

Not related to Land Rovers, but to untrained monkeys working on cars, my friend who has a 2013 BMW X5 recently told me a story about what happened to him at a major BMW dealership in the SF Bay area. My friend owns a dashboard camera business (has several discreet cameras inside and outside his X5). His X5 has had a LOT of issues since he got it, in and out of the dealership. Well, he got his X5 back and notice that things were kind of messy inside and the glove compartment was all re-arranged. So, he looked at his dashboard camera that points to the driver and passenger, with sound, and found that 2 technicians took the X5 joy riding on their lunch, speeding, going over curbs, etc. He even caught them stepping on the seats and climbing out the sun roof!!!

Anyway, my friend brought the tapes (all in HD, with sound) to the service advisor and they were so embarassed. The two guys were fired and they gave him a loaner X1 for a week while they completely detail the car inside and out. He will also get this service for the life of the car.

I love when these stupid people get caught.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM