I love my truck, but I hate my truck...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. We test drove the ML Bluetech, loved it, just a little small for us with the kids. Liked it better than the x5. We don't go off road, so maybe I should look into the GL Diesel again. It is soccer mom looking though, and that's why I loved the LR since its not the typical soccer mom vehicle. The Landcruiser is a great vehicle though, definitely reliable! The Audi Q7 wasn't impressed with. I definitely will not buy another Landrover.

No problem. Audi q7 feels boring to drive and sits in a weird spot between BMW and Mercedes. In the past I wasn't much of a Merc fan but in the last couple of years they have become much better looking, interiors are more upscale and infotainment is finely much more intuitive. To me BMW design has taken a backseat. Checkout the 2014 GL. It looks great in White...the corner panels and front end look more muscular vs previous year model. Huge cargo room as well

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2011 with almost 28,000 miles and had no problems at all - did not even need brakes. My 2013 only has 5,500 miles on it, so hopefully it will be rock solid as well. I took a LONG break from Land Rover (had a couple Mercedes - including an ML350) when my 2000 Discovery was such a horrible vehicle. The dealership actually bought it back since it was so terrible. I leased my 2011 because I did not want to get "stuck" with another lemon, but it won me back to Land Rover. I bought my 2013, so I (hopefully) plan to keep it long term.

I do not see myself buying another Land Rover, except for MAYBE a new style Range Rover (doubtful), or more likely a Defender in 2016/2017 - DEPENDING what it looks like and if it sticks to the heritage.

If I were to jump ship from Land Rover, I would get a G wagen or a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is considering something other then Land Rover and is OK with not buying from the typical luxury brands, the new 2015 Chevy Tahoes were just released. I like what they did with it and they are marketing to a more upscale clientele. Keeps the v8 engine, with good (not great) HP and torque and decent MPG. The only beef I had with it was that at near fully equipped you are right at $70k, which I thought was a bit pricey.

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv.html

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just visited side by side Land Rover and Lexus dealers. Sat in the LR4 and the LX. The LX is clearly not for us. But we are not large people and the LX just feels too big for us. My wife said, "It is like those Suburbans and Expeditions." We're just not big-vehicle people. The LR4 isn't small but it doesn't feel nearly as large as the LX. For the $30K difference in price I can do a lot of maintenance.

In talking with the LR sales person we also heard that at the Scottsdale, AZ dealership people are putting down a $5K deposit to be on the waiting list for orders of a new Ranger Rover. He also said, as many of us know, that they can't get LR4s fast enough in AZ. All they have on the lot is older, used models. He said part of the issues is a rapid uptick in demand in Asia (e.g. China) which is putting a strain on demand everywhere.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
My wife and I just visited side by side Land Rover and Lexus dealers. Sat in the LR4 and the LX. The LX is clearly not for us. But we are not large people and the LX just feels too big for us. My wife said, "It is like those Suburbans and Expeditions." We're just not big-vehicle people. The LR4 isn't small but it doesn't feel nearly as large as the LX. For the $30K difference in price I can do a lot of maintenance.

In talking with the LR sales person we also heard that at the Scottsdale, AZ dealership people are putting down a $5K deposit to be on the waiting list for orders of a new Ranger Rover. He also said, as many of us know, that they can't get LR4s fast enough in AZ. All they have on the lot is older, used models. He said part of the issues is a rapid uptick in demand in Asia (e.g. China) which is putting a strain on demand everywhere.

Hey Dan, I love everything about the LR4, granted it needs more hp as an option at least and 18" wheel options for those like me who would take it offroad and want more meat protecting wheel damage. I'm test driving a G63 on Monday but doubt I'll buy it. Just to dang expensive to beat up. Maybe I'll wait for a year old one. That loaded white '13 still keeps me interested. It's pretty bad a--

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If LC and Lexus still had the body type of what was the LX470 then that might be more appealing to us. They are awesome vehicles and I can't ignore the reliability ratings. But just "feel" too big for my 5' 2" wife (most in her legs) and myself. The LR4 just feels like a good fit. The service I had at Lexus was always awesome. But for non-warranty stuff it seems like none of the luxury brands are "inexpensive" when it comes to maintenance/service. As I said, I'll use the difference in price to pay for the extra maintenance I may need. I can change the oil myself. But I'm not too sure about doing the pads and rotors like others here on the forum. I still remember when, 34 year ago, my wife and I were going to drive from Northern Virginia to the Jersey shore to visit her mom in our Honda Civic hatchback. I was changing the plugs in the evening. Got one in wrong and stripped the threads. It was dark an hour later when I finally got it out. Found a mechanic that would put in a helical if I could get it to him before 10PM. Drove 20 miles with 3 cyls working and one wide open. You can imagine the racket. So I am a bit leary of DIY. ;-)

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is considering something other then Land Rover and is OK with not buying from the typical luxury brands, the new 2015 Chevy Tahoes were just released. I like what they did with it and they are marketing to a more upscale clientele. Keeps the v8 engine, with good (not great) HP and torque and decent MPG. The only beef I had with it was that at near fully equipped you are right at $70k, which I thought was a bit pricey.

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv.html

That's funny, I was waiting for the redesign to come out to buy one for my wife. Having seen the interior or lack of interior upgrade for the same or greater price over other vehicles (namely the LR4), I'm completely put off by it. She'll either get a leftover model or we'll get another LR4.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Test drove the X5, nice but seemed small. The Mercedes GL is really nice, but I think its way overpriced. Not sure what to do...Thanks!

I agree with you on the size of the X5. Also, like someone else on here said, they do remind me of a Converse Chuck Taylor high top gym shoe.

On the GL, I'll agree that for a fairly loaded up GL450, $86K sounds kind of crazy at first, but when you compare it to a loaded up Tahoe that's now going to be just over $71k, it doesn't seem that bad- in a relative sort of way.

If I had to do if over again and needed to save a few bucks, I could have spent about 8K less on my wife's GL and we'd have been just as happy or nearly so. You could drop off the split screen, pano roof, diamond paint and a couple of other items that would not likely be missed and save about $6K right off the bat. Then we'd only be talking about $9k difference between a v-8 powered chevy and a twin-turbo V-8 MB that was originally designed to replace the ultra tough G Wagon and subsequently massaged enough to produce an SUV with an S- class refinement.

Nothing wrong with a owning Chevy, I've had them- probably will again some day. However, if you are strictly looking at value, I don't see how you could justify spending 90% as much on a Chevy when you could spend 10% more and have arguably one of the best large SUVs on the road. If you want value, go with the GL350 diesel- you'd have better fuel mileage, more torque, better trailering ability, etc... for less than the cost of the loaded up Tahoe.

Will the GL replace the LR4 on a tight, off-road trail? No, but in reality, there's only a handful of 7+ passenger vehicles that might. E.G. Land Cruiser / LX570, Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero Limited (my personal backup vehicle) and that's really the only one's I'd say would equal it in off road ability. Not that the GL couldn't get close, but the approach / departure angles would hurt it. Order the $1,600 off-road package that raises the MB to a full 12-14 inches and you might prove me wrong, but really, how many of us are going to push a 60-90K vehicle to it's limits through mud, ruts, rocky overhangs, etc..?

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
I agree with you on the size of the X5. Also, like someone else on here said, they do remind me of a Converse Chuck Taylor high top gym shoe.

On the GL, I'll agree that for a fairly loaded up GL450, $86K sounds kind of crazy at first, but when you compare it to a loaded up Tahoe that's now going to be just over $71k, it doesn't seem that bad- in a relative sort of way.

If I had to do if over again and needed to save a few bucks, I could have spent about 8K less on my wife's GL and we'd have been just as happy or nearly so. You could drop off the split screen, pano roof, diamond paint and a couple of other items that would not likely be missed and save about $6K right off the bat. Then we'd only be talking about $9k difference between a v-8 powered chevy and a twin-turbo V-8 MB that was originally designed to replace the ultra tough G Wagon and subsequently massaged enough to produce an SUV with an S- class refinement.

Nothing wrong with a owning Chevy, I've had them- probably will again some day. However, if you are strictly looking at value, I don't see how you could justify spending 90% as much on a Chevy when you could spend 10% more and have arguably one of the best large SUVs on the road. If you want value, go with the GL350 diesel- you'd have better fuel mileage, more torque, better trailering ability, etc... for less than the cost of the loaded up Tahoe.

Will the GL replace the LR4 on a tight, off-road trail? No, but in reality, there's only a handful of 7+ passenger vehicles that might. E.G. Land Cruiser / LX570, Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero Limited (my personal backup vehicle) and that's really the only one's I'd say would equal it in off road ability. Not that the GL couldn't get close, but the approach / departure angles would hurt it. Order the $1,600 off-road package that raises the MB to a full 12-14 inches and you might prove me wrong, but really, how many of us are going to push a 60-90K vehicle to it's limits through mud, ruts, rocky overhangs, etc..?

Well said!

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess since I'm the original poster, I should probably reiterate that despite my frustrations, the extended warranty has helped me to decide to keep the LR4 as long is it doesn't start stranding me. I think that for so many of us, the issues that we've had are at worst, frustrating if we are honest with ourselves. If I were even just slightly less fiscally responsible, I'd have traded in the LR4 a long time ago and felt good about it. However, I'm going to officially be in my early 40s this year and I feel it's time that I should start letting patience reward me rather than impulse or emotion.

Of course, I'm still young enough to be fickle- so don't be surprised if you log in this summer and I'm back ranting about the !@$#$%^& piece of $@&* that I mistakenly thought deserved another chance a few months ago! :)

just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM