I love my truck, but I hate my truck...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you driven the 2014 V6? I'm also worried it will not be as powerful as the 2013 V8 and it doesn't appear to do that much better on fuel. Your thoughts?

Rocky,
No, I haven't driven the 2014 LR4 with V6, but I have driven a couple of Jaguars (the XJ and XF) with the same supercharged engine over the last 12 months or so. At the time, I had no idea that they would put that engine in the LR4, but was already thinking to myself, "what a mismatch for a car like a Jaguar." To have a good amount of power, I felt like I was having to wring out the engine. That's in a vehicle weighing over 1,000 lbs less than the LR4. To be fair, I should say that in an acceleration test, a forced induction vehicle can usually compare well with a naturally aspirated vehicle having slightly more power because the forced induction may give it a broader band of power. However, we are talking full throttle acceleration. While I'm not a serious off-roader, I can't imagine that there are many people taking their LR4 off road and using full throttle or even redlining them. It's just not consistent with picking your lines, treading lightly, etc... On the other hand, the V-8 is more tractable, easier to control and linear in its power delivery. I guess it just boils down to personal preference. I suppose since that's the only choice we get in the U.S., it's a take it or leave it proposition. I wouldn't say to leave it if you are wanting an LR4, but I think Land Rover could have done better for their customers.

Oh, the comment I made about the lack of pep- I should have qualified that. Between the LR4 and the Land Cruiser, it seems like the LR4 has more pep and likes to rev a little more. Part of it could be just a throttle mapping issue because if you drive the LR4 in the snow mode, you get a similar experience in partial throttle driving. I meant no negatives towards the LC or LX570- I think it's an awesome vehicle with an impeccable history of reliability, but as you mentioned, it isn't quite as refined in regards to interior design and construction. If I could improve only 2 things on it, I would give the LC a better stereo and better leather. Neither of them are becoming of a $75,000 vehicle. The third row design on the 200 series is just a byproduct of the sturdy, solid rear axle design. I could live with that.

If you get an LR4, please come back and let us know (or PM me) how they compare after a few months of ownership. Wishing you the best.

PS...
I quoted just a few comments I picked out from a review of a 2013 Jaguar. Other comments (not listed here) gave the V6 glowing reviews.

"For the 2013 model year, Jaguar has killed off the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 and fitted a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 with an eight-speed automatic in its place . That all sounds perfectly well and good, but a week behind the wheel of this British Racing Green sedan just left me missing that V8. And then some."

"The other gain for the V6 – fuel economy – looks great on paper. Jaguar reports EPA fuel economy figures of 17 miles per gallon city, 28 mpg highway and 21 mpg combined for this new XF 3.0, which represent increases of 1/5/2 mpg (city/highway/combined) versus the 5.0 V8 model.
The bad news is that, after my week of driving, my combined fuel economy number of 18.6 mpg was slightly less than the old rating. I put the XF through a pretty even mix of city and highway driving, so I was certainly expecting better. Colleagues have expressed disappointment with fuel economy here, as well, so I don't think I'm alone."

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Rocky,
No, I haven't driven the 2014 LR4 with V6, but I have driven a couple of Jaguars (the XJ and XF) with the same supercharged engine over the last 12 months or so. At the time, I had no idea that they would put that engine in the LR4, but was already thinking to myself, "what a mismatch for a car like a Jaguar." To have a good amount of power, I felt like I was having to wring out the engine. That's in a vehicle weighing over 1,000 lbs less than the LR4. To be fair, I should say that in an acceleration test, a forced induction vehicle can usually compare well with a naturally aspirated vehicle having slightly more power because the forced induction may give it a broader band of power. However, we are talking full throttle acceleration. While I'm not a serious off-roader, I can't imagine that there are many people taking their LR4 off road and using full throttle or even redlining them. It's just not consistent with picking your lines, treading lightly, etc... On the other hand, the V-8 is more tractable, easier to control and linear in its power delivery. I guess it just boils down to personal preference. I suppose since that's the only choice we get in the U.S., it's a take it or leave it proposition. I wouldn't say to leave it if you are wanting an LR4, but I think Land Rover could have done better for their customers.

Oh, the comment I made about the lack of pep- I should have qualified that. Between the LR4 and the Land Cruiser, it seems like the LR4 has more pep and likes to rev a little more. Part of it could be just a throttle mapping issue because if you drive the LR4 in the snow mode, you get a similar experience in partial throttle driving. I meant no negatives towards the LC or LX570- I think it's an awesome vehicle with an impeccable history of reliability, but as you mentioned, it isn't quite as refined in regards to interior design and construction. If I could improve only 2 things on it, I would give the LC a better stereo and better leather. Neither of them are becoming of a $75,000 vehicle. The third row design on the 200 series is just a byproduct of the sturdy, solid rear axle design. I could live with that.

If you get an LR4, please come back and let us know (or PM me) how they compare after a few months of ownership. Wishing you the best.

PS...
I quoted just a few comments I picked out from a review of a 2013 Jaguar. Other comments (not listed here) gave the V6 glowing reviews.

"For the 2013 model year, Jaguar has killed off the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 and fitted a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 with an eight-speed automatic in its place . That all sounds perfectly well and good, but a week behind the wheel of this British Racing Green sedan just left me missing that V8. And then some."

"The other gain for the V6 – fuel economy – looks great on paper. Jaguar reports EPA fuel economy figures of 17 miles per gallon city, 28 mpg highway and 21 mpg combined for this new XF 3.0, which represent increases of 1/5/2 mpg (city/highway/combined) versus the 5.0 V8 model.
The bad news is that, after my week of driving, my combined fuel economy number of 18.6 mpg was slightly less than the old rating. I put the XF through a pretty even mix of city and highway driving, so I was certainly expecting better. Colleagues have expressed disappointment with fuel economy here, as well, so I don't think I'm alone."

Thanks for the reply and answering my questions. I agree with you on the stereo and leather seats of the LC. I wish they were on the Windsor side the lux pkg. comes with. One thing however is they will take a serious beating and shine right up. Very easy to clean. I may hold out and search for a 2012-13 LR4 LUX but will test drive the 2014 this weekend to form an accurate opinion if my dealership has one to drive. My wife is pushing to get the new RRSC. I never like buying 1st gen. models. Thank god she doesn't like the new sport. It just doesn't look right.

If the LR4 v6 fuel mileage were to increase by a "claimed" 2-4mile per gallon it's just not worth it to me if it means I'm getting less overall power and still have to use premium.

I will let you know how my test drive goes. If it wows me I'll place my order that day. I have always loved the utilitarian look of the LR4. I almost bought the new G63 but the misses nixed it because it rode to rough for $150k. I guess I like boxy vehicles that could careless about aerodynamics. Lol!

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how the test drive goes. In my mind that is absolutely necessary with the 2014 if the engine is a concern. Hopefully it will be a longish one. I was able to take one for a few hours in Denver and drive up into the mountains and on long freeway inclines. So much of this comes down to preference and driving style. For some the difference may not be that noticeable if at all. For others they may notice it right away and it will not be something they can get past. For others it will not necessarily be the power difference (and of course there is one because we know the HP and torque are less) but rather the knowledge that it is less and the perception that it matters to them. These are all important and valid reasons for choosing to go with the LR 4 or not. And in my mind a test drive is the best way to sort this out.

When I drive my 2014 Acura MDX, which can do 0-60 in 6.1 and hold corners almost as well as an X5 and gets 27MPG highway, my driving style changes. I drive more aggressively and faster. The fun kicks in when I am exceeding the speed limit - especially on curvy, mountain roads. And it only has a naturally aspirated 6!

But when I switch to the LR4 (or LC or LX if my patience runs out while I wait 4 months for it) I am looking for a very different experience. I couldn't care less how fast I get to 60. I tried passing on the long climb out of Denver and did not have a problem given my driving style when driving a "truck" like this. I started at 65 MPH and got to 75 MPH no problem. And, on an incline such as that the performance was good enough for me. But I am not an aggressive driver and I don't jump out in front of oncoming traffic hoping I can accelerate in time. (Not a knock on "aggressive" drivers as I certainly have been one in my MDX and years ago when I drove an Acura Legend.)

I thought about just going with an 2013 model but the difference in power was not enough (I didn't even notice it) to offset the fact that I value the Vision Assist option with adaptive headlights, auto-high beams and blind spot monitoring much more than I will the engine power difference.

Would I have turned up my nose at the V8? Of course not. Its just not a big deal to me. But will be to others. And if there is a disappointment with Land Rover it is that they did not give you all an option. It would be been better if they had at least given you an option. Or if they had waited until they introduced the lighter body style.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Great points. My driving style is pretty relaxed these days. Not nearly the aggressive driver I once was. Having kids makes you slowdown a little. I'm heading over to Flatirons LR as it's close to me and give the LR test drive and lengthy look over and I'm sure they will let me have it overnight. They offered the 2013 RRSC as an overnighter when it hit the dealership as a demo. I declined as I probably would have not returned it. Lol! It was a blast to drive but I'll wait 'till next spring to purchase it when all the excitement has dwindled a little. Flatirons has the V8 LR so I will test drive both for a true comparison.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Rockymtnjoy, when you go to Flat Irons ask for Mark Manniko. He is great to work with. Tell him Dan Higgins sent you. If they have one you can drive that would be awesome. But, to be honest, there 2014 stock has been pretty low on the LR4s. Since I am down in Highlands Ranch I used the LR store down here for my test drives. They do have a lot more inventory. If you schedule a test drive you may be able to at least get it long enough to drive up I70 to Floyd Hill. That should give you a sense of whether or not it has adequate power. Let me know what you think.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Hey, Rockymtnjoy, when you go to Flat Irons ask for Mark Manniko. He is great to work with. Tell him Dan Higgins sent you. If they have one you can drive that would be awesome. But, to be honest, there 2014 stock has been pretty low on the LR4s. Since I am down in Highlands Ranch I used the LR store down here for my test drives. They do have a lot more inventory. If you schedule a test drive you may be able to at least get it long enough to drive up I70 to Floyd Hill. That should give you a sense of whether or not it has adequate power. Let me know what you think.

Fantastic. I will mention your name to Mark. Floyd hill is a great climb. But today I-70 is packed with everyone heading to the slopes for the deep powder. I will contact Mark today for a test run tomorrow. I have Flagstaff near me that will test LR ;-) I bike it and some serious grades that punish cars.

Last edited:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Flagstaff near me that will test LR ;-) I bike it and some serious grades that punish cars.

Flagstaff is awesome. I busted out the Fearsome Foursome last summer, and Super Flagstaff was the last climb we did. I almost died, haha.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Flagstaff is awesome. I busted out the Fearsome Foursome last summer, and Super Flagstaff was the last climb we did. I almost died, haha.

Kudos to you! That's allot of climbing in one day. On Strava?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90