I love my truck, but I hate my truck...what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are making me feel really old, fat and lazy. I can barely handle Deer Creek/High Grade down this way! And that was before I took most of last year off.

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are making me feel really old, fat and lazy. I can barely handle Deer Creek/High Grade down this way! And that was before I took most of last year off.

LOL! Deer Creek canyon is no picnic and it's a Denver classic. Get back on the :bike: I'm heading out in 5mins for a ride:wavey:

Mare'sLR4

Reaction score
Hi,
I can understand your frustration. We love our 2010 LR4 HSE. We aren't happy with the issues of the truck and dealer. Every time its at the dealer, its gone for a few days. I have had the rotors and brake pads changed numerous times, and still sounds loud in reverse and coming to a stop. Im told they can't do anything about it. Its embarrassing at this price range. (we call it squeeky) RH A Pillar snapped off while on the highway. Oh and the passenger bottom trim comes loose all of the time. Always smells like there is coolant leaking, from day one. Im told no detection of any leaks. Engine light has come on last year and they reset code and moved the sensor. Has been serviced throughout the year. Last week my truck was brought in again and kept for 3 days, on the way home the engine light came on last week. They took it back and was told they don't know what could be wrong. The code was reset. The killer is we have 48000 miles and warranty is about to expire. The dealer said they would cover the engine for an extra 3000 miles after warranty but after that we have to pay out of pocket. The sad thing is the dealer asked "what do you want us to do?" We can take apart the engine to find the problem. Between the constant loud brakes, lack of heated steering wheel, vibration through the gas pedal, smell of coolant, and questioning of the engine, we are not sure if we want to keep it. I love my beast, but I am tired of being on pins and needles. Test drove the X5, nice but seemed small. The Mercedes GL is really nice, but I think its way overpriced. Not sure what to do...Thanks!

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
Hi,
I can understand your frustration. We love our 2010 LR4 HSE. We aren't happy with the issues of the truck and dealer. Every time its at the dealer, its gone for a few days. I have had the rotors and brake pads changed numerous times, and still sounds loud in reverse and coming to a stop. Im told they can't do anything about it. Its embarrassing at this price range. (we call it squeeky) RH A Pillar snapped off while on the highway. Oh and the passenger bottom trim comes loose all of the time. Always smells like there is coolant leaking, from day one. Im told no detection of any leaks. Engine light has come on last year and they reset code and moved the sensor. Has been serviced throughout the year. Last week my truck was brought in again and kept for 3 days, on the way home the engine light came on last week. They took it back and was told they don't know what could be wrong. The code was reset. The killer is we have 48000 miles and warranty is about to expire. The dealer said they would cover the engine for an extra 3000 miles after warranty but after that we have to pay out of pocket. The sad thing is the dealer asked "what do you want us to do?" We can take apart the engine to find the problem. Between the constant loud brakes, lack of heated steering wheel, vibration through the gas pedal, smell of coolant, and questioning of the engine, we are not sure if we want to keep it. I love my beast, but I am tired of being on pins and needles. Test drove the X5, nice but seemed small. The Mercedes GL is really nice, but I think its way overpriced. Not sure what to do...Thanks!

I just bought my wife the new ML63 and love it! The dealership treats us like they should at this price point and brand. I have owned many different brands including Land Rover. I have always had pretty decent service with LR but after reading all the negative reviews and my past experience with Land Rover I decided to not buy one. I love them but I just can't come to terms with having to worry constantly about breakdowns, etc. I have a 2008 Land Cruiser that I added a Suspension lift and ARB and it has 102k miles on it. Not one single issue since new. I like the GL but to me it's more soccer mom and less serious off roader. The GWagen is the only Merc serious off roader but won't trade in my Cruiser for it. If you off road at all and don't want to worry about it breaking down go with the 200series LC. If you're not going to be climbing rocks and just want something with a classy interior and feels great pulling up to Valet or an awesome long distance tourer with the best possible service, go with the GL550 or diesel version. It still handles well in moderate terrain and is great in the snow.

Last edited:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A tough decision. We have two 2013's and have had zero problems, other than a slight glitch with the backup camera on one that was fixed with one dealer trip. As with most vehicles, you can get a bad one or a good one. We dumped two almost new 2010 and 2011 BMW 535i GT's within the past 2 years because they were horrible cars. Price points being way beyond the LR4 HSE and HSE LUX's we now own. Electronics were so bad the dealer's couldn't figure out how to fix them. No parts available except from Germany, Cars so new no spare parts yet available. XDrive problems were more of a ghost than real yet showed the unreliability of the electronics system. Nothing like being out in the 130 degree desert and being told your vehicle is breaking down and to stop immediately 200 miles from nowhere, when in fact the vehicle is perfectly fine. Yet if after several false alarms you decide to ignore the warning and you drive it and it's not fine, BMW will not cover the blown engine, stating the system told you there was a problem. Catch 22. Low voltage problems plagued the vehicles, dealers stated they needed to be kept on maintenance chargers even after 800 mile round trips. ***? And BMWNA is hard to deal with until AFTER you dump the cars! Then they want you back.

Best of luck in whatever you do.

Last edited:

Rockymtnjoy

Reaction score
A tough decision. We have two 2013's and have had zero problems, other than a slight glitch with the backup camera on one that was fixed with one dealer trip. As with most vehicles, you can get a bad one or a good one. We dumped two almost new 2010 and 2011 BMW 535i GT's within the past 2 years because they were horrible cars. Price points being way beyond the LR4 HSE and HSE LUX's we now own. Electronics were so bad the dealer's couldn't figure out how to fix them. No parts available except from Germany, Cars so new no spare parts yet available. XDrive problems were more of a ghost than real yet showed the unreliability of the electronics syatem. Nothing like being out in the 130 degree desert and being told your vehicle is breaking down and to stop immediately 200 miles from nowhere, when in fact the vehicle is perfectly fine. Yet if after several false alarms you decide to ignore the warning and you drive it and it's not fine, BMW will not cover the blown engine, stating the system told you there was a problem. Catch 22. AND BMWNA is hard to deal with until AFTER you dump the cars! Then they want you back.

Lol! My turbo went out in my Bimmer. I've owned a few and will never buy one again. I aways had electrical issues. They seem to be built just for leasing. The X5 looks horrible...like a bubble and a shoe and the 2014 model looks worse

Mare'sLR4

Reaction score
A tough decision. We have two 2013's and have had zero problems, other than a slight glitch with the backup camera on one that was fixed with one dealer trip. As with most vehicles, you can get a bad one or a good one. We dumped two almost new 2010 and 2011 BMW 535i GT's within the past 2 years because they were horrible cars. Price points being way beyond the LR4 HSE and HSE LUX's we now own. Electronics were so bad the dealer's couldn't figure out how to fix them. No parts available except from Germany, Cars so new no spare parts yet available. XDrive problems were more of a ghost than real yet showed the unreliability of the electronics system. Nothing like being out in the 130 degree desert and being told your vehicle is breaking down and to stop immediately 200 miles from nowhere, when in fact the vehicle is perfectly fine. Yet if after several false alarms you decide to ignore the warning and you drive it and it's not fine, BMW will not cover the blown engine, stating the system told you there was a problem. Catch 22. Low voltage problems plagued the vehicles, dealers stated they needed to be kept on maintenance chargers even after 800 mile round trips. ***? And BMWNA is hard to deal with until AFTER you dump the cars! Then they want you back.

Sorry to hear about your bimmers! My husband has the '09 335xi and has had no issues. It is a catch 22 with vehicles. I wasn't impressed with the x5. We have two kids, and the LR is perfect. The 3rd row is great because it seats adults, not toddlers like most suvs. Thanks for the luck, I will need it!

Mare'sLR4

Reaction score
I just bought my wife the new ML63 and love it! The dealership treats us like they should at this price point and brand. I have owned many different brands including Land Rover. I have always had pretty decent service with LR but after reading all the negative reviews and my past experience with Land Rover I decided to not buy one. I love them but I just can't come to terms with having to worry constantly about breakdowns, etc. I have a 2008 Land Cruiser that I added a Suspension lift and ARB and it has 102k miles on it. Not one single issue since new. I like the GL but to me it's more soccer mom and less serious off roader. The GWagen is the only Merc serious off roader but won't trade in my Cruiser for it. If you off road at all and don't want to worry about it breaking down go with the 200series LC. If you're not going to be climbing rocks and just want something with a classy interior and feels great pulling up to Valet or an awesome long distance tourer with the best possible service, go with the GL550 or diesel version. It still handles well in moderate terrain and is great in the snow.

Thanks for your response. We test drove the ML Bluetech, loved it, just a little small for us with the kids. Liked it better than the x5. We don't go off road, so maybe I should look into the GL Diesel again. It is soccer mom looking though, and that's why I loved the LR since its not the typical soccer mom vehicle. The Landcruiser is a great vehicle though, definitely reliable! The Audi Q7 wasn't impressed with. I definitely will not buy another Landrover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM