Installed 275-55-20 tires on 20x9.5 +32 wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am your resident sand expert here in the desert. You need to first identify what surface you are most frequently driving on. Sand and Mud patterns are pretty much exact opposite, so if you are good in one you are typically bad in the other. Mud, you need wide blocks to eject packed mud out of the treads. These tires dig for traction, as designed. Sand tires are all about float and digging is the last thing you want. More surface area, the better. With that said, you want as much surface area as possible so the wider 285s are going to be your best option.

In regards to airing down, 20 psi is really conservative. I typically run 16-18 myself and I know others running down 12-15 (typically on lighter trucks). If you had beadlocks you can go down further! The whole issue with rolling the tire off the rim is 95% down to driver error. You simply can't take corners at speed! It's all about learning new driving habits for the sand. I can't stress this enough. There are a lot of YouTube videos out there to get you started with some great information.

@Surfrider77 @VTBike Let's just clarify that all sand is not created equal, desert sand is not the same as coastal sand, and coastal sand is not the same as sandbar coquina sand....therefore the tire type is also dependant upon the type of sand you are driving on. Where I live, the sand is more coquina based but has patches of black, sticky sand...but there are also pockets of soft sugar sand near the areas which are dredged (i live on a sandbar for the most part so every mile is different and sketchy) --- I have have a county permitted pass to go on a strip of beach that requires a special vehicle inspection and the few miles of coastline has all different types of sand, all of which I have found myself stuck in and also found ways to get out...I found that the best tire for me is a chunky baja tire....I ran mickey thompson baja atz p3s on my last vehicle but they don't make them in my current rim size for the LR4 so I chose the GY wrangler duratracs because I found that using more "sugar-sand" friendly tires just doesn't work for multi purpose sand, especially the sticky chunky black coastal sand.

I totally agree with @Surfrider77 on learning how to drive in sand (driver habits), but I would suggest learning how to get unstuck first and foremost....in other words, get stuck a lot and learn to get out! I am so surprised that more people don't purposely go out and get stuck....that's how you learn, and it really freakin' fun! Buy yourself a set of maxtrax or treds and completely forget about airing down your tires...having a set of these recovery tracks is SOOOO CRUCIAL IN SAND!!! Once things start slowing down for me I plan on creating a youtube series on how to get out of these different sand types with my LR4 with duratracs and my neighbor's single speed LR4 with conti tires...so I can put an end to this "single speed" vs "low gear" LR4 conversation and show it has everything to do with driver and their habits and less to do with a low gear...well, at least in variations of sand (I won't disagree with the need for low gear in rock climbing situations)

But more importantly....is that a soft top board??? C'mon man!!! lol ;)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Once things start slowing down for me I plan on creating a youtube series on how to get out of these different sand types with my LR4 with duratracs and my neighbor's single speed LR4 with conti tires...so I can put an end to this "single speed" vs "low gear" LR4 conversation and show it has everything to do with driver and their habits and less to do with a low gear...well, at least in variations of sand (I won't disagree with the need for low gear in rock climbing situations)...

Good overall post! As you said, conditions will vary results massively. This also goes for low range. I am literally in the desert scaling 100-150ft sand dunes. That extra torque grunt makes life a hell of a lot easier when you are trying to maintain momentum. While doable without low gearing, I personally would be looking for HD pack on the newer trucks to have it.

However, I do realize 99% of the posters on this forum will never see this kind of terrain, let alone try and wheel their LR4s on it! I do love the community experience on this forum though. Lots of great tips!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good overall post! As you said, conditions will vary results massively. This also goes for low range. I am literally in the desert scaling 100-150ft sand dunes. That extra torque grunt makes life a hell of a lot easier when you are trying to maintain momentum. While doable without low gearing, I personally would be looking for HD pack on the newer trucks to have it.

However, I do realize 99% of the posters on this forum will never see this kind of terrain, let alone try and wheel their LR4s on it! I do love the community experience on this forum though. Lots of great tips!

150ft sand dunes sound like no joke, what kind of sand are you driving in out there? I just seen some pics on the MAXTRAX instagram page of them tacking through some steep thick sand, looks pretty gritty and appears they needed to use the tracks on the steep incline. When I think of desert sand (though I've never been) I think of the very fine, dry, powder like sand which I have yet to experience. I think the softest sand I drive through is white sugar sand but in general I'm roaming through the coquina which has big chunks of shell deposits which can provide grip but also unfortunately creates large air pockets of doom, lol. I think we max out in the 30ft range around here as far as dunes, and typically they are from the shifting seas and contain a bunch of air...damn near impossible to crawl through slowly even in the most capable vehicle, usually you need a good fast start to get the momentum or you'll just sink. I'm fascinated with sand driving, mostly because the ease of recovery compared to the mud...a shovel and recovery tracks have always got me out of a pinch. Plus I am more confident going about it alone in the sand whereas mud I've had one scary experience and won't go without another rig anymore.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should make a sand driving thread and stop hijacking this one! :D

I am from Florida and know exactly what sugar sand is. Stuff is no joke. Here it can vary greatly in certain spots, which you try and avoid. I am contracting in Qatar in the Middle East, hence the crazy sand dunes. US coastal "dune" hills are quite different. Tons of YouTube vids out there if you just search Qatar dune bashing, etc. The biggest issue I deal with is some crazy tidal flooding. We tend to get pretty far off the beaten path to an area called "Inland Sea" and in the right conditions can completely swap vehicles overnight. Some of the flat areas can be deceiving and look relatively firm but are actually a muddy soup. As you said.. only time behind the wheel can prepare you for this. (or any 4 wheeling)

Yudkin

Reaction score
275/55/r20
Nitto Terra Grapper
20"/9.5" wheels with ET18( Et58 wheels with 40 mm spacers)
A lot of rubbing- need to install bigger outlet or lift a car

20190518_185057.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72