Is the Days to Service indicator reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Days to Service indicator is at 29. Is is calculated as per the state of the vehicle or just a manual calculator from last service? Thanks

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually let my counter go and after 5000 miles or so (it was not 5000 on the nose) the display actually started a 2nd countdown.

When I started the LR3 it would flash something like -5127 and then -267 after that.

oh wait, maybe that second number was days and not miles? obviously I don't pay too much attention to the service reminder.

Last edited:

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same countdown clock running down the days for the last month. I'm at 2006 / 106k miles. I've youtubed how to reset it, some show steps to follow for a reset, some say it requires a dealer. The steps do not work in my case. Has anyone done this without going to the dealer or without buying a diagnostics device? If yes please send a link or details for how to find the answer.

z1234567890

Reaction score
It's only a reminder, stick to your service interval manual, most important things to be changed is oil and oil filter, depend on oil you are using could be very 5K, 10K, 12K or even 15K

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same countdown clock running down the days for the last month. I'm at 2006 / 106k miles. I've youtubed how to reset it, some show steps to follow for a reset, some say it requires a dealer. The steps do not work in my case. Has anyone done this without going to the dealer or without buying a diagnostics device? If yes please send a link or details for how to find the answer.

Only MY2008-09s can be reset manually. Earlier model years require a diagnostic tool, either a dealer's or your own (IIDTool, Faultmate, etc.) to extinguish and reset the Service Interval Indicator.

djkronik57

Reaction score
Somehow my days/miles countdown on my 2008 disappeared (it no longer shows up when starting up) after a service and the reset procedure online doesn't seem to work at all. Does it show up consistently or only if you go over the service interval? Mine was negative when I bought the truck.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new tires installed this weekend (General Grabber AT2-nice!) and asked the shop to clear my service indicator with their diagnostic tool. I watched them do it, and the indicator cleared but came back on the next time I started the car. Is there a special trick to clearing this or do I need to bite the bullet and bring it to a dealer (which I hesitate to do because I recently had a feud with the LR service manager over horrible customer service).

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: 1 attempt at the tire place and 2 attempts at the auto store and none of their diagnostic tools did the trick. Gave up and forked over $60 to the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM