Is the LR4 good for daily highway travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnation

Reaction score
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on on LR4. After test driving the vehicle I fell in love with it but was wondering if some of you could help me out here. I do a lot of highway travel every day and am wondering if this is the right vehicle for that type of travel. Is the LR4 a good choice vehicle for me? I realize that's a very broad question but is anyone using the vehicle for that type of travel on a daily basis?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is an excellent road vehicle. Very comfortable, substantial feel on the road. All the creature comforts in the upscale interior without being overly fussy about the trim and tech. You will also feel very safe and secure in an LR4 regardless of the road or weather conditions. In fact, some of my most enjoyable driving has been at the wheel of my LR4s during really nasty weather. The obvious tradeoff to all of this heft, safety, and capability is that these are thirsty vehicles. They also call for a disciplined approach to scheduled maintenance to keep them running smoothly. But to your primary question, yes, the LR4 is a fine vehicle for regular highway travel and in fact you will probably be looking for excuses to hit the road (paved or otherwise) once you have one.

Donnation

Reaction score
The LR4 is an excellent road vehicle. Very comfortable, substantial feel on the road. All the creature comforts in the upscale interior without being overly fussy about the trim and tech. You will also feel very safe and secure in an LR4 regardless of the road or weather conditions. In fact, some of my most enjoyable driving has been at the wheel of my LR4s during really nasty weather. The obvious tradeoff to all of this heft, safety, and capability is that these are thirsty vehicles. They also call for a disciplined approach to scheduled maintenance to keep them running smoothly. But to your primary question, yes, the LR4 is a fine vehicle for regular highway travel and in fact you will probably be looking for excuses to hit the road (paved or otherwise) once you have one.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. I was really sucked in with the test drive. I guess the only thing that's holding me back now is the reliability of the vehicle. I need to do some research on how to properly maintain one. Thank you again.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What model year did you test drive? (just curious) For the most part the maintenance items are the same between the 8-cylinder (2010-2013 and prior) and the 6-cylinder (2014-2016).

Some people suggest that you budget $2K/year for maintenance of an LR4. I think that's a little high but then again maybe I'm not paying close attention. Early models had issues with failing water pumps but most of the ones on the preowned market had that fixed under warranty. Wear items include tires and brakes of course, as well as lower control arms. The rate of consumption of these parts is a function of the fact that the LR4 is a 3-ton beast! Many of us have invested about $100 in shop gear so that we can change our own oil which is a very easy preventive maintenance task. There are also a couple of idiosyncratic Land Rover glitches that create weird symptoms but are relatively easy to fix: brake light switch and hood latch assembly come to mind. More expensive repairs would include timing chain service which can be a $3K-$5K+ project but then again you may never need it (conventional wisdom is that frequent oil changes can minimize the likelihood of this repair).

All of these topics have been discussed in detail on this forum. There are also plenty of DIY guides to the more common maintenance and repair tasks, especially oil/filter changes and brake service. If the vehicle you are considering is out of factory warranty it pays to develop a good relationship with an independent Land Rover shop for advice and repairs. You might even consider getting an indy shop to do a pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle you are thinking about buying. This would give you some peace of mind and would also be a great way to start that relationship. Good luck!

Donnation

Reaction score
What model year did you test drive? (just curious) For the most part the maintenance items are the same between the 8-cylinder (2010-2013 and prior) and the 6-cylinder (2014-2016).

Some people suggest that you budget $2K/year for maintenance of an LR4. I think that's a little high but then again maybe I'm not paying close attention. Early models had issues with failing water pumps but most of the ones on the preowned market had that fixed under warranty. Wear items include tires and brakes of course, as well as lower control arms. The rate of consumption of these parts is a function of the fact that the LR4 is a 3-ton beast! Many of us have invested about $100 in shop gear so that we can change our own oil which is a very easy preventive maintenance task. There are also a couple of idiosyncratic Land Rover glitches that create weird symptoms but are relatively easy to fix: brake light switch and hood latch assembly come to mind. More expensive repairs would include timing chain service which can be a $3K-$5K+ project but then again you may never need it (conventional wisdom is that frequent oil changes can minimize the likelihood of this repair).

All of these topics have been discussed in detail on this forum. There are also plenty of DIY guides to the more common maintenance and repair tasks, especially oil/filter changes and brake service. If the vehicle you are considering is out of factory warranty it pays to develop a good relationship with an independent Land Rover shop for advice and repairs. You might even consider getting an indy shop to do a pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle you are thinking about buying. This would give you some peace of mind and would also be a great way to start that relationship. Good luck!

I test drove a 2016 with about 30K miles on it. It was in perfect shape and is certified by the Land Rover Dealership. I just really love the style of the vehicle and have always been drawn to them.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove a 2016 with about 30K miles on it. It was in perfect shape and is certified by the Land Rover Dealership. I just really love the style of the vehicle and have always been drawn to them.

You would be in good shape with a late model CPO vehicle like that. Just keep hanging out in this forum to stay on top of the things to keep an eye on and you'll get the most out of the warranty period.

And 100% agreed on the LR4's styling and overall vibe (including pride of ownership). I'm on my 2nd one and they have both been by far the favorite vehicles I've owned. The fact that they've stopped making this model just adds to the mystique. Hope it works out for you.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my LR4 over 30K miles a year, most of them on highway. This car is a fantastic highway cruiser, as long as you can put up with the fuel bills, which will be substantial I'm afraid. The heft of the car in a relatively compact footprint makes it as stable as a freight train at high speeds, despite the brick-like aerodynamics you will always feel safe regardless of speed, even in fairly strong crosswinds. And you will absolutely love the command driving position to scan the road ahead for hazards, especially in heavy traffic. The seats are most comfortable to me (that's subjective), not too mushy and just supportive enough. Watch your speedo as it is very easy to reach illegal speeds in a hurry in this vehicle, thanks to the strong engine and quiet interior.

The longer wheelbase soaks up most potholes and road imperfections with minimal fuss and keeps the ride smooth and serene for you and up to 6 passengers, they'll all have enough room and never feel claustrophobic on long trips. And, the upgraded sound system in my MY2013 (Harman Kardon Logic 7 - don't know much about Meridian but the consensus seems to be that you should stay away from the base sound system and opt for the upgraded one if you are an audiophile) sounds excellent to my ear.

I can think of few vehicles I'd rather be in for highway cruising than the LR4. The fact the same car is so capable when you get to your off-road destination is all gravy, and what makes most Land Rovers so special and unique in the automotive world.

Last edited:

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do a lot a miles a year increase your expected yearly maint costs for oli changes, brakes and tires. It takes a lot of expensive oil per change and the heavy weight means brakes/tires tend to wear faster. Rear brakes will go first. The CPO you drove should have had the rears done by now with 30k miles.

Last edited:

Donnation

Reaction score
I drive my LR4 over 30K miles a year, most of them on highway. This car is a fantastic highway cruiser, as long as you can put up with the fuel bills, which will be substantial I'm afraid. The heft of the car in a relatively compact footprint makes it as stable as a freight train at high speeds, despite the brick-like aerodynamics you will always feel safe regardless of speed, even in fairly strong crosswinds. And you will absolutely love the command driving position to scan the road ahead for hazards, especially in heavy traffic. The seats are most comfortable to me (that's subjective), not too mushy and just supportive enough. Watch your speedo as it is very easy to reach illegal speeds in a hurry in this vehicle, thanks to the strong engine and quiet interior.

The longer wheelbase soaks up most potholes and road imperfections with minimal fuss and keeps the ride smooth and serene for you and up to 6 passengers, they'll all have enough room and never feel claustrophobic on long trips. And, the upgraded sound system in my MY2013 (Harman Kardon Logic 7 - don't know much about Meridian but the consensus seems to be that you should stay away from the base sound system and opt for the upgraded one if you are an audiophile) sounds excellent to my ear.

I can think of few vehicles I'd rather be for highway cruising in than the LR4. The fact the same car is so capable when you get to your off-road destination is all gravy, and what makes most Land Rovers so special and unique in the automotive world.

Thank you for the reply. Is the gas mileage for the 2016 really that bad? I’ve heard that it was a little improved over the previous models (what salesman told
me).

Anyone have an estimation of how far you can go on a full tank?

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize that's a very broad question but is anyone using the vehicle for that type of travel on a daily basis?

If you are fine with the fuel consumption of any of the motors offered it is by far one of the most comfortable casual cruisers one could purchase. It is far from agile, nimble or even sporty but if your average highway speed is in the 50-70mph range you'll never notice. If you live in a region where you find yourself in a decent amount of accumulation of snow or rain and or live in an area where the roads are not groomed as often as the cities then this is the vehicle for you. We have owned various SUV/SAV over the years some far more expensive than the LR4 (new or used) and it is the one my wife grabs the keys for the most often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM