It's here, now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a really good video comparison of the Defender vs a D4.

It really does puzzle me - where did the Defender space go? The wheelbase is longer than the D4 but the boot space is significantly smaller. With the rear mounted spare, it appears to take more length to park.
Overall there seems to be less interior width, length and height. That mini van shifter is a real interior styling turnoff; I do not like the rotary dial but it probably would have been less negative to look at.

The Defender is lighter yes, but seems to me, less engine and real world fuel economy will at best be effectively the same.

Yes, the radio technology is perhaps better, but it should be impossible to go backwards or that - well we will see as it has to actually work.

I guess it will sell to those who have never had a 3, 4 or real Defender prior.

Perhaps the question is how does it compare to a Hilux or 4Runner - they are not perfect either?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there must be more rear seat leg room taking some of the cargo space. I'm way more interested in this that the Disco 5 and as others have said it seems more of a logical replacement for the LR3/4. My stepson has a stock 4Runner TRD Pro and IMO the LR3 is more capable off road. On another note, bbyer where was your avatar pic with the Defender taken?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in my 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD off-road premium for a 2013 LR4. The LR4 is a better vehicle in every single way, with the only exception being that my 4Runner had built-in rear lockers. The interior of all of the Toyota forerunner’s is extremely plasticky and does not compare to land rover, probably from any year. I don’t really see the $45,000 4Runner being even remotely in the same class as the $50-$100,000 defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my LR4, but after driving the Defender I think I might make the switch. The cargo space and 3rd row seat is significantly smaller, but the first 2 rows feel significantly larger and more comfortable. It is the quietest truck I've ever driven, but still feels unmistakably like a Rover. The clean lay out up front somehow looks futuristic and retro at the same time. I think the shifter was the best possible option, I certainly want a stick and not paddles when shifting off road, and to make the front of the vehicle have an open design that would support a front bench, dash mounted makes the most since. I do love the LR4, and it has been my favorite vehicle of all time, but I think the new D110 will make a worthy replacement

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my LR4, but after driving the Defender I think I might make the switch. The cargo space and 3rd row seat is significantly smaller, but the first 2 rows feel significantly larger and more comfortable. It is the quietest truck I've ever driven, but still feels unmistakably like a Rover. The clean lay out up front somehow looks futuristic and retro at the same time. I think the shifter was the best possible option, I certainly want a stick and not paddles when shifting off road, and to make the front of the vehicle have an open design that would support a front bench, dash mounted makes the most since. I do love the LR4, and it has been my favorite vehicle of all time, but I think the new D110 will make a worthy replacement

wondering where the disclaimer is on this post? :aetsch:

https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/advertising-and-disclaimers/

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point they've been on lots for a couple of weeks, beside the powerfuluk video where the fault light comes on in the first few miles is anyone hearing any negative feedback? Other then price gouging, LOL...

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes [mention]DonMitsu [/mention] .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shall I keep you posted after we get our Defender? First we have to make up our mind on how to spec it out. After keeping the LR4 for 10 years, we want to get it right

I'm thinking V6, HSE trim level that includes the sunroof and nicer leather seats. I noticed that heated rear seats are not standard. You need to select them in the "interior" build section. And I can't live without a heated steering wheel after having one for years. I'll need that refrigerated center console too as I use it to store my lunch sandwich if I'm traveling to a client visit.

Not sure if I want the Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking. Someone posted this feature goes through brake pads every 15K miles. I wonder if you need that second AC unit to cool the rear passengers and dog. I guess I'd order it just to be safe.
It came in handy on our LR3 when the front AC fan failed on a long summer trip.

nhskibm

Reaction score
So I’m just dumb enough that in the past several years I’ve owned:

‘16 LR4 Landmark, non HD
‘04 D2 (still have)
‘13 RRS non SC (still have)
‘17 D5 TD6 (still have)
‘14 RRS SCV8
‘16 Disco Sport (hers and gone)

I have a Defender on order (Pangea Green p400 with all the capability packs). Also have driven one - twice.

First impression was that it was awesome. Looks way better in person and with the right color combo and packages you can make it look pretty good. Also, in all sincerity, they did as good a job as anyone could making a modern version of an icon. This is coming from someone that still has an E30 and appreciates when manufactures stay true to roots as best they can with 30 year differences. Drove great, command position like LR4 and D2, plenty of power, and stiff like a ladder frame truck.

Second impression with my better half was the same from a driving perspective but now came the “is it worth $75k?” I’m not sure. If our D5 didn’t do what we need it to running up and down I93, towing our 25’ AS, light off road but have full capability pack, 450mi to a tank of Diesel, massages our backs when driving from NH to CO, etc I’d likely be taking delivery. But for my everyday the D5 just feels like I got more at $83k. Whoever commented about the luxury side likely referencing a G Wagon I tend to agree. I got back in D5 from the Defender and just liked it more.

Now, that said, if we were in CO full-time and didn’t have the D2 or D5 I’d be stoked on the truck. There’s way more “non damaging” off road that I’d love to take that truck on, tow the AS, yada yada. But with the D5 and D2 sitting in the driveway I’d think I’d rather keep the two of them than take delivery on the one.

I’ll see how I feel when mine arrives but 50/50 right now because it didn’t wow us more than how we feel about what we have in the driveway today. And to all the LR4 faithful - we don’t miss it. Might be the D2 and L322 we still have but after 56k miles on the D5 I can honestly say it’s one of the best cars I’ve owned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA