It's here, now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I On another note, bbyer where was your avatar pic with the Defender taken?
South of Benghazi a couple of hundred miles in 2004. The first attached jpg is one of the local wildlife doing an inspection. The second jpg is a couple of hundred miles south of Edmonton winter of 2019.

Given a choice of sand blowing down my neck, or snow, snow is preferable.

Also snow does not chew up the driving lights, windscreen or take the paint off the bonnet.

For pickups, we used the Single cab Defender 90 with the box on and around the plant sites. The 110 was for cross desert and back to the big city etc.

The not so good last jpg shows one of the pickups on the move. There are no roads out there; well no need for them really. In this case we were following the power lines to the next site; other times it is aim for the black smoke from the flare pits or follow the sand filled 45/55 gallon fuel drums - no speed limits but mines from WW II tend to be effective speed traps - they effectively restrain one from straying too far off the accepted routes.

Snow and cold for me are preferable. The Defenders had AC but real men do not use it. You cannot drive with the windows open when it is hot as the wind generated will burn you - like being in a forced air oven - well we did use the AC on the 110 but not the 90s as they were for around the field hopping in and out.

Not really the stuff of vacations.

Camel watching camel in pipe line trench b.jpg

Fernie snow 2019 09 28.jpg

LRtower desert1.JPG

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really cool, thanks for sharing!
I appreciate the comment.

The dropbox link below (no password needed, should open), is to a near half hour video on a trek thru Libya prepared by a Land Rover dealer based in France. These guys were even further south than where I was.

The 2007 video was to be a promotion for selling Land Rover tours into Libya. The actual tours never got off the dunes however due to subsequent events.

Watch it on a big screen (not a cell phone), and have a good sound system. The music can be haunting.

The Toyota's in the video and below are driven by the Minders. Watch for the clip of the burned out tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00ddxe3375kfatk/Libye_Progressive_Scan_from_DV_PS.mpg?dl=0

Libya Toyotas in the sand.jpg

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, the trunk space is really much smaller than I expected, 8inches...That is about the width of that spare tire...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, the trunk space is really much smaller than I expected, 8inches...That is about the width of that spare tire...
Yes, where did the space go?

It is not much smaller on the exterior than the 3/4 but inside is for midgets.

Probably what really sold me on my 3 was how much interior space there was with the second row of seats down. I can get bigger boxes in there than I can on a Tahoe or even Suburban as the rear hatch opening is more square. As to a number of small boxes, probably either of the two might carry more, but the 3/4 has a larger hatch opening.

As to the new Discovery, probably smaller than a 4Runner in the rear as well. How could LR do it to itself again?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I submitted my order today for a new Defender HSE. As soon as it arrives, it will replace our LR4 that has served us so well for 9 1/2 years

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I submitted my order today for a new Defender HSE. As soon as it arrives, it will replace our LR4 that has served us so well for 9 1/2 years
Congrats [mention]DonMitsu [/mention] - when you get it, I hope you'll start a new thread in the Defender sub-forum and link to us here for those of us who want to follow along. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a silver one at a local towing company today and see that a silver one is missing from the Landrover Chattanooga website so either someone bought it and is having it transported or it has suffered some kind of catastrophic issue. I'll have faith that it is the former...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a silver one at a local towing company today and see that a silver one is missing from the Landrover Chattanooga website so either someone bought it and is having it transported or it has suffered some kind of catastrophic issue. I'll have faith that it is the former...
Maybe it would not start and hence the unloader could not get it off the hauler; hence it ended up somewhere else and now it is in the process of getting returned/towed back to the dealer.

I think that spin sounds better?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it would not start and hence the unloader could not get it off the hauler; hence it ended up somewhere else and now it is in the process of getting returned/towed back to the dealer.

I think that spin sounds better?

LOL, we all have such terrible opinions about Landrover reliability, engineering, and not to mention Joseph Lucas' contribution to the legacy, yet we continue to love them. Not sure what it is but that green oval remains true in our hearts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut