Just Bought 2005 Freelander (Few Questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upstate2012

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just today I came home with a 2005 Freelander, and I had a few questions. The car has 29,000 miles on it owned by a 65 year old man who babied it. It is the SE version, but is equipped with 18" alloys, Harman Kardon sound system, and the upgraded leather seats. What type of maintenance am I going to expect maintaining this car? I know it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but for the price I could not pass up how spotless and good this car looked on the inside and out. I have read people having problems with the 02 and 04s, but haven't read anything about the 05s. If I keep up with the scheduled maintenance, should I expect to be bringing it into the shop that much?

I appreciate any reviews on the 05s, thanks so much I'm happy to be part of the Land Rover family now!

- Bryan

Shermie

Reaction score
If your car is still under warranty, I would take her out for a good round of driving. The best advice, while still under warranty, let her break. Don't constantly fill her up with Dexcool (they tend to leak), etc. This way the warranty should cover replacement of any major parts. Good luck, Shermie

TRD4ME

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just today I came home with a 2005 Freelander, and I had a few questions. The car has 29,000 miles on it owned by a 65 year old man who babied it. It is the SE version, but is equipped with 18" alloys, Harman Kardon sound system, and the upgraded leather seats. What type of maintenance am I going to expect maintaining this car? I know it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but for the price I could not pass up how spotless and good this car looked on the inside and out. I have read people having problems with the 02 and 04s, but haven't read anything about the 05s. If I keep up with the scheduled maintenance, should I expect to be bringing it into the shop that much?

I appreciate any reviews on the 05s, thanks so much I'm happy to be part of the Land Rover family now!

- Bryan

Watch your coolant level constantly. Overheating is an unfortunate issue with all freelanders, and very comonly ends with complete engine failure. I suggest buying an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the vehicle past its normal warranty period.

upstate2012

Reaction score
I believe it has something like a 4 year 50K warranty on it right now, which makes it still in warranty. How much would an extended warranty cost me?

Shermie

Reaction score
100%%%%

Hurry now ... and get some quotes for extended warranty. You will thank all of us. Make sure you know exactly when your warranty will expire. Demand a detailed explanation of every repair. Don't assume that the LR shop is always telling the straight and narrow. There are good and bad one's. The major weak points on the Freelander are the Engine and the Drivetrain. In my opinion the Freelander in under-powered for a 4X4. The engine should have has at least 230 Hp.

If your car is losing coolant, you hace two choices. Either let the car fail (I did not do that) or constantly add coolant until the warranty runs out and you have a $7000 repair job. This is why the extended warranty is a life insurance policy well worth the money.

There is a shop bulletin that replaces the plastic intake manifold mounted thermostat for an in-line type (I mean that it hangs off a cooling hose like it was a fuel filter). The bulletin replaces the original thermostat with some kind of cover/gasket.

Heater Cores leak after some time. The worst that can happen is that your motor goes after the warranty expires.

The Jatco transmission is best left alone. If you have the shop change the fluid past 30kmiles, you risk having a bad Jatco. If you have an independent shop that can change the 6 - 7 quarts of LRN-402 according to the procedure, and the tranny breaks, your warranty can cover this. Typically the LR shop will flat out refuse to change tranny fluid as they know these boxes are a one way trip. They work until they start to show error codes. If you EVER see a blinking F1, F2, F3, F4 etc, code on your dash DEMAND that they replace the Jatco. The factory recommended interval for a Jatco fluid change for my 2002 SE was 60kmiles, 10K past warranty... hummmm. Was this by design?

Good luck and happy Rovering.

Rich Sherman

freelander2

Reaction score
I have an 02 with 57k. I always take to the dealer or service. Don't let any knuckleheads work on it. Hard to get parts for and they don't know until it's apart. I just got a quote from the dealer for 5 year extended warranty for $2700. The earlier you get the warranty the cheaper it is. Get the warranty from the dealer and see if they will give you a discount too, if not drive to another dealer if the give ou a better price. Deff get the added warranty. My car I bought at 40k but the warranty was out because of age, I've had some electrical issues starting to pop up so it is going to be needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM