Just Getting Started, Key lock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all... Im Cole
I am fairly new to discoverys but I have had my share of other 4x4s, Just sold my 75' land Cruiser and bought a discovery... here is my question, I have an issue with my key not turning in the ignition, it is like something is catching internally and wont let it go forward, after working with it a while, it turns over and starts perfect every time as long as I can get the key to rotate forward... I have tried putting the key in different depths, oiling it, locking the steering wheel, leaving it unlocked, etc. I have tried different keys too, so I assume it is not the keys... let me know if anyone has any ideas, and hopefully I can help you out on something else.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the Disco? I'm feeling safe in guessing that if it's an old one either the key isn't as "sharp" as it once was (therefore not hitting the lock tumblers correctly) or the ignition cylinder itself is preparing to crap out on you. Do you have trouble with any of the other locks on the truck?

Others may have more advice, suggestions, etc.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. it is a '98 Disco, and the key is original, but I had another key cut, and it does the same thing, unless getting it cut off the potentially "worn" key would cause it to be cut incorrectly. I am guessing that it would also be something in the switch itself, is there a way to just buy the switch as opposed the entire wiring, because once it engages, there isn't any problem.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Cole. Welcome!! Just a suggestion make sure you are in Park. My Rover ate my key one time ---- Finally I got it back after I jiggled the Shifter Knob a few times and made sure that it was in the gear Park all the way.
Hope this helps.
Best, Melissa

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the ignition cylinder, but:

(1) It's not cheap
(2) It means a separate ignition key (like an 80's or 90's GM!)

Lemme see if I can find a link for the part #, etc.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignition module will get you from about 100$ to 300$, depending where you getting it from.
On bright side - i got my disco from P/O like that and dont care anymore - it did **** me off royally at start, but then i just gave up.

In general it means that someone damaged ignition lock by using somewhat improperly cut key or worse.. (i.e if you got few keys that looks same and they all behaving like that). It also can be as simple as need of some lubing :)

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses... I don't think it is the park lock because it always has eventually worked after playing with it long enough, but its a hassle, and someday I am afraid it just won't eventually free itself.
If you can find some kind of ig. cylinder replacement I would be willing to look at it because I just use the keyless entry anyway. I have looked around and haven't found one yet but I still only know cruiser suppliers so any help would be great.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverconnection.com
carcannibal.com
roverguy.com
atlanticbritish.com
roversnorth.com
britishpacific.com
dap-inc.com
discountrovers.com
--
autopartsworld.com
autoparts2go.com

to my recollection all above can give you one.

So is it issue with turning or is it issue with not releasing?
If its turning than its one thing. If releasing then it well can be parking switch.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, its not turning...it always releases alright, so in your previous message you said that you also had this issue with yours but have not worried about it or did I misunderstand.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I suggest calling the local locksmith? Often they can fix the problem in an ignition with symptoms like yours.

Another option to getting a replacement part is ebay. I've bought a few parts through ebayers, including a new key ignition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99