Keeping my '06, need some advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a 7 year run with my LR3 I have decided that I am going to keep it indefinitely. The resale is horrible right now on these and it's paid off so owes me nothing. Need some info if any of you have it handy to prep for the long haul and get her shined up a bit. I know some of this info is out there, but I'm having a hard time with some of the opinion related questions. Here's what I got, kind of a brain dump. I need to keep my LR going, so I'm willing to spend some now to save more later. Thanks in advance.

2006 LR3 SE, 4.4, 56K miles, sole owner
Warranty work previously done..
  • rear tires (bald inside at 20K)
  • lower control arms (done twice)
  • ball joints (w/o) control arms
  • tie rod ends
  • air compressor, drier, update
  • coolant tank
  • windshield (heating element stopped working)
  • 4 alignments (on LR dime due to component replacement
  • tailgate latch/cable
  • transmission ecu (would not go into gear randomly, stuck in intersection)
  • other minor things...

1. Airbag light is intermittent. I read that there are some clockspring related posts about some recall (not mandatory) Does that still fly if my VIN is within range? Even if it is not a required recall?

2. 56K is not that much, but 7 years is. I am thinking of going all Royal Purple in diffs, xfer, and trans...Is is worth it at 56K to do this. Anyone else running all RP or other synthetics?

3. Maint items. Any user serviceable items that would be good. Air filter was just done. Are new plugs worth it? Is there an external Fuel filter? Anything else as general maintenance? (hoses, lines, compressor maint..)

4. IIDTool. Is it worth it? Found for about $410 online, seems to be the bees knees for the LR3. Faultmate is too much.

5. Front seats are pretty beat, anyone use good covers or have a line on replacement leather. Not many Aftermarkets have a kit for the LR3.

6. Driver armrest on door panel is cracked through the vinyl cover, can feel it where my elbow sits, have to pull off panel and see if that part is accessible from the rear.

7. New tires coming, going with the Toyo's I think based on recommendations. The Silend Armor's are pretty beat and actually cracking a lot on outside edge. not bad on rotations either just not holding up.

8. Middle sunroof shade won't stay shut, can feel the latch is loose on one side and won't catch. Anyone every drop the liner enough for this or does it have to come out?

9. Any body comp issues with LED's for all but Headlight. Any reco's on what worked for you?

Thanks gents, lot of questions but can't seem to wrap it all up no matter how many searches.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Airbag light is intermittent. I read that there are some clockspring related posts about some recall (not mandatory) Does that still fly if my VIN is within range? Even if it is not a required recall? It might be a TSB, which is not a recall. If it's not a mandated recall, it's not a free fix.

2. 56K is not that much, but 7 years is. I am thinking of going all Royal Purple in diffs, xfer, and trans...Is is worth it at 56K to do this. Anyone else running all RP or other synthetics? I'm not sure about the LR3, but on my Jeep you'd actually have to change the diff fluids more with synthetic. For the trans, I'd stick with the LR stuff-trannys can be very picky.

3. Maint items. Any user serviceable items that would be good. Air filter was just done. Are new plugs worth it? Is there an external Fuel filter? Anything else as general maintenance? (hoses, lines, compressor maint..)
I'd leave the air suspension stuff alone unless something is known to be bad. New plugs could be worth it, what is your MPG now? I'm at 95k in my 07 and I think I still have the OE plugs, still getting 17 all city. But they might have been changed, I'll check my records.

4. IIDTool. Is it worth it? Found for about $410 online, seems to be the bees knees for the LR3. Faultmate is too much. That actually seems like a really good price! Thanks for the heads up on that.

5. Front seats are pretty beat, anyone use good covers or have a line on replacement leather. Not many Aftermarkets have a kit for the LR3.

6. Driver armrest on door panel is cracked through the vinyl cover, can feel it where my elbow sits, have to pull off panel and see if that part is accessible from the rear. Pics?

7. New tires coming, going with the Toyo's I think based on recommendations. The Silend Armor's are pretty beat and actually cracking a lot on outside edge. not bad on rotations either just not holding up.

8. Middle sunroof shade won't stay shut, can feel the latch is loose on one side and won't catch. Anyone every drop the liner enough for this or does it have to come out?

9. Any body comp issues with LED's for all but Headlight. Any reco's on what worked for you?

____

I replied in red to things I thought I knew...haha. Glad to hear you are keeping it, so am I. At least for a few more years. :bandit:

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For maintenance, I would do, or have done, a injector and induction service, and then change the plugs, ignition capacitor, and PCV valve. Not that you need it by mileage, but usually a noticeable improvement after 75-90k miles.

For fluids, my shop uses Motul 75w90 in front and rear diffs(with a friction modifier if locking) and BG undyed full synthetic in the trans, and have had very good results. Stick with LR t-case fluid, its a strange fluid, somewhere in between atf and gear oil, and some atf's do cross over, but I wouldn't risk it. Only need 2 qts, even if it is pricey through the dealer, I say it's worth it.

SRS lights are usually clockspring (or wiring) or either front seat pretensioner. Have it checked out, and go from there. It was a recall, so if you're in the VIN range, it should have been done already. See attached.

The sunroof shade is an easy fix, see attached again.

**Ok, don't see attached, as it only allows for 19.5kb for a PDF. Not sure if I can PM a file here, but if you PM me your email, I can send you a couple of PDFs. Or if you want to try to search for them, it is Recall P045 and TSB LTB00084

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See this link for the airbag recall: https://www.box.com/s/0ri0fg2s8v1p1gv8yzok/1/651891491/6145844091/1

My 2006 RRS was affected. It started as an intermittent warning light (as the wiring was slowly fracturing, I guess) but eventually became permanent. Recall campaign was performed at no charge last year - I had not seen a dealer since 2008, when my factory warranty ran out and the recall had yet to be issued. :biggrin: I did get a letter in the mail from LRNA about it, though.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
See notes below. I plan to keep my LR3 for quite a while also.

1. Airbag light is intermittent. I read that there are some clockspring related posts about some recall (not mandatory) Does that still fly if my VIN is within range? Even if it is not a required recall? Clockspring can also cause intermittent Cruise Control problems. Two birds?

2. 56K is not that much, but 7 years is. I am thinking of going all Royal Purple in diffs, xfer, and trans...Is is worth it at 56K to do this. Anyone else running all RP or other synthetics? I prefer regular service with OEM fluids, especially the transmission.

3. Maint items. Any user serviceable items that would be good. Air filter was just done. Are new plugs worth it? Is there an external Fuel filter? Anything else as general maintenance? (hoses, lines, compressor maint..) Plugs are 100K items. I would put a new desiccant drier on the air suspension compressor if it hasn't been done. I would do the fuel filter and PCV valve at 100K with the plugs.

4. IIDTool. Is it worth it? Found for about $410 online, seems to be the bees knees for the LR3. Faultmate is too much. A Faultmate or IIDTool is almost mandatory, just clearing codes can restore functionality and provide DIY troubleshooting time.

6. Driver armrest on door panel is cracked through the vinyl cover, can feel it where my elbow sits, have to pull off panel and see if that part is accessible from the rear.

7. New tires coming, going with the Toyo's I think based on recommendations. The Silend Armor's are pretty beat and actually cracking a lot on outside edge. not bad on rotations either just not holding up. Has the truck been aligned recently? If so, did the shop know to put the suspension into a special mode first? This is (FWIW) supposedly required to get a proper alignment that works at all heights.

8. Middle sunroof shade won't stay shut, can feel the latch is loose on one side and won't catch. Anyone every drop the liner enough for this or does it have to come out? The front 'bar' can sometimes jump out of the track and cause the latch to be hard to engage. The solution for me was to purposely 'crook' the latching bar (front-to-back) to get it back into the track. I didn't need to drop the headliner.

9. Any body comp issues with LED's for all but Headlight. Any reco's on what worked for you? The lower current draw causes problems with the lighting monitors. Folks add resistors to get the current back up to normal, but then what is the advantage of LEDs?

Thanks gents, lot of questions but can't seem to wrap it all up no matter how many searches.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and knowledge so far. I think the IIDTool is on the definite list and fluids will be ordered through the local stealership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM