Keyfob distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zgpablo

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 14 LR4 Lux. My keyfob that should indicate my proximity to the car doesn't seem to have any range.

I guess they call it "Passive Entry", but for me it's very active. The fob literally has to touch the door handle before it will be recognized and unlock when I pull on the door handle.

I have turned passive entry on and off (thanks to the tip in the other thread here) but although when offf I can only unlock by pressing unlock on the fob, when on I have to be so close I am practically inside the car.

I changed the battery in the fob last week with no difference noticed. I have had the car for a year but just getting around to being bothered by it enough to post this.

I have a second key that has the exact same issue so I am guessing it's the car's receiver and not the keys. Any ideas smart LR4 people?

Thanks community!

zgpablo

Reaction score
Anybody having this issue? I have since replaced the batteries in both my Keyfobs and also replaced the battery in the LR4 (which brough tthe ECO back to life for better or worse).

Still, unless I put my key fob right up against the handle none of the features I expect work. The button on the door handle does not lock the truck, the truck does not unlock as I approach.

Can anybody tell me what happens when they get within (3? 5? 10?) feet of their LR4 with the key in their pocket?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine used to work really well. As an example, I typically carry my keyfob in my right front pocket, and when I exit my LR4 I would typically close the driver's door, then hit the lock button on the driver-side rear door as I walked behind the vehicle, with my right hip aimed away from the car.

About a year ago, though, it started to not work so great, and my normal locking cadence would only work about half the time, with the other half ending up with the "beep beep" sound you get when you try to lock the doors without the fob. The solution for me has been to turn and point my right hip towards the front driver's door and lock it there. I generally never have a problem unlocking the car from any door.

I'm not sure what could have happened in that time to change things. This past December, when my CPO warranty was winding up and I took it in for a host of work (including getting the timing chain guides taken car of), I told them about my issues, but the dealership said they couldn't find anything wrong.

zgpablo

Reaction score
That sounds exactly like my issue, just a couple of years away from my level (I'm sorry to say). This seems like a very mechanical problem that should be an easy troubleshoot. I was about to ask where the transmitter is but found this, there are a lot!

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LS/2016/T19945/18970_en_GBR/proc/G1800736

I walked around the car and is seems I had to get within a couple of inches for any of them to work. The tailgate I had to place the key right on top of that number 7.

So the question is, is there a power supply to these transmitters that gets low? WHat else could be affecting these...

zgpablo

Reaction score
Interesting theory avlash. I took my fob apart again and I was expecting something connecting the key holder to the antenna but it doesn't, it's all kept separate. There is a little coil in there that must be working otherwise it would not unlock at all IMO.

No wiser, does anybody else have the same issue? Does "everybody" have the same issue?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For mine, it happens on all three of my keyfobs (2 original, one Amazon programmed with my GAP tool).

zgpablo

Reaction score
Both of mine too ryanjl, 1 original and 1 I programmed with the IID Tool I found on Ebay I think. So it must be the power on the car not the key. Are we getting closer, or nowhere? :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72