How (and why) to disable passive entry

If your Land Rover (MY2010+) is equipped with passive entry, will you be disabling it now?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw this posted on Facebook. It discusses "relay theft" of our vehicles, which is explained in the description for the accompanying video. There's a comment that follows the video that includes a document detailing the process for disabling passive entry. I had not seen anything about this here on the forum before and didn't find any threads discussing disabling this feature. This process is supposed to apply to all LR vehicles (equipped with passive entry option) from 2010 on.

I'm curious how many of you with passive entry will disable it based on this information. What are your reasons pro/con? I'm not sure. I use it frequently but I also often use the keyfob to unlock as I approach especially if I'm driving others (because I have two-stage unlock enabled currently). I live in an area with an overabundance of LRs, so you might call it a target-rich environment.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine in some higher density areas this would be an issue. If there are creeps/dudes/baddies doing circles around my house they're more than likely about to find themselves in a bad situation that they don't want to be in...and I'll have some lovely hacking equipment in my possession. :)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there are creeps/dudes/baddies doing circles around my house they're more than likely about to find themselves in a bad situation that they don't want to be in...

That was my initial thought, but driveway theft is only one scenario. If the threat happens whenever the key and vehicle are in range of each other, bad guys could just case the LR traffic into the local SBX/gym/grocery store/etc and do the same thing.

They'd have a freaking field day in Potomac Village, MD!

I'm on a private drive and I keep my vehicle in the garage with door closed. Home theft is not my primary threat scenario. But the ones I mentioned above happen all the time. This video and information made me think about things...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thief can also intercept the signal the fob sends when the lock/unlock button is pressed, so this method doesn't really keep a tech-savvy criminal from stealing a car, does it?

I suppose the signal interception method requires them to be near when the vehicle owner locks or unlocks their car, but other than that, it works.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thief can also intercept the signal the fob sends when the lock/unlock button is pressed, so this method doesn't really keep a tech-savvy criminal from stealing a car, does it?

I suppose the signal interception method requires them to be near when the vehicle owner locks or unlocks their car, but other than that, it works.

That's all true. It just underscores the fact that anything we do to lock down our valuables is just a deterrent. If some ***** wants to steal your stuff badly enough, they will. If there are relatively simple strategies that make the bad guy go to the next, easier, prospect, then the deterrent worked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72