keys in ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got 05 lr3 and a couple annoyances that we are hoping there are settings to correct:

1) when we leave cars in garage we just leave keys in em. this car doesnt shut off (radio nav etc )until key is pulled out. any setting chnage here or will radio nav eventually go off if we shut car off and leave keys in ignition?

2) doors auto lock when we put her in drive and go. however when we stop and park they dont unlock. you have to manual unlock at master button. we are used to auto unlock once car is in park and auto lock in drive at 5mph. is this a setting issue?

thanks in advance.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doors unlock when in park and key is removed. I think the only setting issue is turning the auto-lock on or off.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't see any annoyances here. Roverine is correct.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) when we leave cars in garage we just leave keys in em. this car doesnt shut off (radio nav etc )until key is pulled out. any setting chnage here or will radio nav eventually go off if we shut car off and leave keys in ignition?
Interesting sidenote: our Touareg had the intelligent key system and it would run the car's battery down if you left it within a certain distance of the car. Apparently they (the key and the car) are in constant communication.

Not a big deal on the LR3, but these features are becoming more common and you could eventually run in to that as an issue.

-Rich

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I think the key thing is different than what I experience. If I have my key in, and radio on, but nothing else, it turns off after a fairly short time, like maybe 10 minutes? Of course, it does this with the key out also (as long as I don't open the doors - like sleeping in the drivers seat on my lunchbreak :)

The door auto-unlock, I'm not sure, but I thought there was a setting that the dealer can access with the T4 Testbook computer that can enable auto-unlock when the car is shifted in to Park? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. sigh....

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, auto unlock when in park would seem to make sense. i am getting a little tired of going to pass side doors only to find them still locked. is anyone sure that they are to unlock when key is removed if a passenger did not exit that door when it was last shut off......... anyone know?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i turned my autolock off, the doors now only lock/unlock when i press the button. also i found out that if you press the volume knob with the keys out you can still use the radio. this is nice when i need the keys and leave someone in the car. i am also annoyed that the electronics stay on when the keys are in so i just dump them in the cupholder when not locking it up.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i adjusted my autolock setting to off now as well to rid the annoyance. but it is nice for safety reasons for autolock....... sucks since every other car with autolock i have driven unlocks in park and locks at 5mph.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635