L322 - Multiple Idiot Lights / IID Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamiamham

Reaction score
I have a 2008 RR HSE SC (the big one, not the sport) / Occasionally I will start her up and I get lights for multiple failures. Typically it starts with a traction control and goes on to the hill descent control, anti-lock brakes, etc. My mechanic - who is a dedicated independent LR guy - claims there is nothing "wrong" per se but when these systems go to initialize they sense a blip in the power supply and go offline. The battery is NEW and the charging system has been tested with no issues.

So my question is has anyone experienced this issue and if so how did they resolve it?

Second question

I have a bluedriver tool but it only seems to pick up on the more generic fault codes. IF I were to get something like an IID tool I know it will cause the fault lights on the dash to go out but - and this is a dumb question - is it actually resetting that system and placing it back in working order.

With no fault lights showing up on starting, I aired down my tires this weekend and drove out on the beach. Turned off the truck and stayed for while. Got back in the truck and it started normally; again with no fault lights. As I tried to climb the hill to get back off the beach, all the fault lights re-appeared. Traction control, HDC, anti-locks, etc. It did seem to me that I was indeed losing traction and it was difficult to climb the hill to get back out; took me several tries. Was that in my head or was there really less traction? If I had an IID tool or similiar to re-set the lights would it make any difference.

I just - JUST - put new 19" wheels and A/T type tires on this truck to the tune of $2000 so I would really like to be able to use it to drive on the beach...

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, clearing the codes to turn off the warning lights usually is not a solution. If the problem that caused the lights to go on is a “blip,” the codes will clear and the light will go off on its own.

I’m not sure why your mechanic thinks nothing is wrong and this is just a blip in the power supply - and I say that meaning no disrespect, there just isn’t a lot of info here - not sure if he checked it out or he’s just telling you this on the phone, etc.

All these faults are from the same system, so I would be inclined to think some part of that system is not functioning correctly. If you have something wrong with the battery/charging system, you’ll often see faults in multiple systems. And the fact that the lights keep returning seems to indicate a real problem, not just a blip.

The first place to start is the codes - even the generic ones if that’s all you have. What codes are you seeing with your bluedriver?

One thing that has come up numerous times in these forums, and can cause all these lights - and cause a real loss of traction - is the wheel speed sensors. The car uses these sensors to detect one wheel spinning faster than the rest and apply traction control/abs.

gravitylover

Reaction score
Steering angle sensor too. When the tilt motor activates it reads that sensor and if there's an issue there it would cause the cascade of faults. A simple thing that has bitten me in the *** a few times now is the negative battery clamp has a slight taper so while it's loose it needs to be tapped down before being snugged up or it will cause funny things to happen. Since you said the battery is new I figure maybe it's not sitting right so try loosening it up a bit, tapping it down then snug it back up and see if it makes a difference. Free fixes are good ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA