Land Rover Service is outrageous.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan,

So you are saying that there are no bolts to remove to change either the uppers or the lower bushings?

Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jzk, awesome pics!

I'm afraid I can't help diagnose your problems...it's not the dog-walking effect.

Best of luck.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I gave my gas tank a pretty good beating this weekend, what does it cost to replace....:confused:

About $1500 each time. Tank is about $1,000 I think, plus the cheesy tank retaining pan (disguised as a skid plate, but its not!), and labor.

KEEP your old tank.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan,

So you are saying that there are no bolts to remove to change either the uppers or the lower bushings?

Thanks.

John, no, there definitely are bolts, but there is a special tool available to remove them. I've had all 16 of mine removed at some point (and reinstalled), several of them have been removed more than once. Never had any issues, however, the first first time, my dealer had to get the tool which cost them an extra day or so while they waited for it.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the feeling you got to know the bushings needed to be replaced.
On my 2005 LR3 when I make a turn or go over a bump or turn into my drive I feel thru the steering wheel a bump, as though something is loose. Maybe a strut but there is something defiantly loose.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine has always felt like that. If it's normal I like it...it's good feedback. ...but I've also wondered whether or not it could be the bushings.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I spoke with the local LR dealer about the ball joint replacements and they cautioned that you should be aware that LR now have a new balljoint assembly that is $$$$$ to retro fit to older LR3's since it's a whole lot more than just balljoint swap out.

It would seem that they aren't supporting the current balljoint assemblies going forward, or so they told me and so it's a whole new update. Maybe someone more technical can confirm/deny this factually vs dealer-speak.

Reminds me of when my air-con assembly in my then almost new Jaguar XJS V12 convertible got a pin hole in it and cost the equivalent of several $k to be completely replaced with non-CFC based air-con for a $20 fix. (damn tree hugggers ... :tongue: )

drstan

Reaction score
gmoney and Houm what you are describing possibly could be the steering knock problem that there is a TSB out on. I had a copy of the TSB and it states the following.

Steering Column Knock – Repair Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR3 (LA) VIN: 5A000360 - 8A444606
Model Year: 2005 - 2008
CONDITION SUMMARY:
MINOR 'KNOCKING' NOISE FROM THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
Situation: A customer may report a concern of a minor 'knocking' noise coming from the front of the vehicle or a steering system component while driving over small bumps or undulating road surfaces. Alow resistance in the sliding mechanism of the lower steering shaft may be the cause of the noise.Action: Should a customer express a concern related to the above condition, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to diagnose and resolve the concern.
PARTS:
QLB500070 .............Upper Intermediate shaft Qty 1 (as required)
QMN500250.............Lower Intermediate shaft Qty 1 (as required)
QYG10016L.............Bolt (upper I-shaft to lower I-shaft) Qty 1 (as required)
QYG000030.............Bolt (lower I-shaft to steering gear) Qty 1 (as required)

I had this problem resolved by the dealer under warranty recently on my 06. I noticed it most when I turned into my driveway as there is a bit of a bump and also when turning tighly into a parking space. If you are still under the warranty you might want to cite this to your dealer - it worked for me no more knock. I would feel it in my hands as a sharp upward knock-- just a thought.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drstan2008, this is only one of several potential causes of the knocking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis