Leaking coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I bought the Disco last summer, I saw a few drips of coolant hanging off of the suspension and steering linkages. I never saw any puddles on the ground however. I took a look around and couldn't find the source of the leak. The resevior always had fluid in it when I checked it. So I figured I would just leave it alone for now. In the fall, I put in a new thermostat. It is working good and there is no leaks from it. In Dec, we had some cold nights, so I pluged in the block heater overnight. When I drove to work the next morning, I froze my butt off. The temp guage read normal, but no heat out the vents. Before I left work, I checked the resevoir and found it to be empty. I looked under the front bumper and found frozen coolant all over the engine and the axle. I had to add almost a whole jug of coolant to top it up. I figured the block heater had boiled the fluid and forced it out somewhere, so I never used it again. However, instead of an annoying drip, I now have a serious leak somewhere. I top up the resevior, go for a half hour drive and loose about a litre of fluid. But I still can't find where it is coming from.
Have any of you had a similar problem with your Disco? Is this a common problem with Disco's? I suspect it might be the block heater itself that is the problem. If it is located in a frost plug, perhaps the seal is compromised. It is frustrating because I can't see the source of the leak and don't know where to start looking or replacing parts.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Block heater could be an issue, but I would also start the engine and check for leaking from the water pump, if not then I would say the valley gasket around the intake manifold.

If just taking a wild guess I would say either the block heater or the water pump.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I peered in at the water pump from over the rad this afternoon and this is what I saw: right above where the lower rad hose slips on, there seems to be a bit of a flat spot there on the pump. Some fluid was pooling there. I wiped it off best I could (hard to get the hand down there) and started the engine and watched. A slow trickle of fluid started to come from a hidden spot near the center of pump housing and pooled on the flat spot. For now, my guess is that the pump housing has a crack in it.
Are the pump housings prone to cracking?
It is so darn hard to get a good look at anything under the hood!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like either A) the gasket is going bad or B) the water pump itself is going bad. Either way the pump has to come off, so I would replace it.

Like any vehicle the water pump can go bad. I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster with 217k miles with the original water pump, but I have had cars that they needed a new water pump at less then 100k. It can happen. Of course my Rover still has the original as well.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yipee fun!!!! Why do vehicles always break in winter? My shop has another vehicle in it that is totally incapacitated, so I have to work on the Disco out in the elements. And we've had over a foot and a half of snow the last few days! This is going to be great.
Ya , I had a water pump go on an old Toyota pickup once. I was driving along when I noticed a noise coming from under the hood, kinda like a bunch of marbles bouncing about. 30 seconds later the noise was so loud I couldn't hear the radio anymore. No warning.
Where do you suggest I find a new water pump? Any good suppliers? Sometimes my local auto parts store can't get certain parts for Disco's.
Thanks!

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I have dealt with them before. Good service and pricing!

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....I finally was able to replace the water pump this weekend. The new one is on and there is no more leaks! I took a look at the old pump and found that it was leaking fluid from the vent hole that vents the bearing. That means the bearing and seal were being compromised and the fluid was passing by, thus the leak. By grabing ahold of the fan clutch and wiggling it I could feel some play in the water pump bearing. Thank goodness that's taken care of now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM