Leaking oil on floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farwellbooth

Reaction score
I bought a used LR4 with 47k miles and I have oil leaking on the garage floor. I'm still under warranty, an oil leak would be covered correct?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the leak under the skid plate or off to one side, closer to a front tire? Is it just a few drops? It may be a front control arm bushing leaking. These are oil filled and when they wear out, they leak.

Bushing or engine leak, it should be covered if you are under the 4-year, 50k mile deadline.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front control arm bushings replaced last month. Initially the dealer said they were covered under warranty, but I had a call back the next day telling me that LR told them it was normal "wear and tear". Pretty ****** considering they went out around the 2.5 year mark.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't actually know the bushings had oil in 'em. Did the LR3 also? I think it'***** or miss on who gets their control arms covered. I did with the LR3, guess I'll see in another few years if they cover the LR4 when they go bad.

Farwell, I guess you really need to figure out where the oil is coming from. How much oil was there on your floor? Personally, if you just got it I'd probably check the oil filter housing and make sure it's tight. Did you literally JUST get the truck? I'm thinking someone did a crappy job of changing the oil before you bought it.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the LR3 control arm bushings are also oil filled, as mine were leaking when worn out. And since I was over 50K miles I had to pay for new ones along with tie rods, ball joints and new front hubs.

roverman, you're right, if really engine oil, it's probably a loose oil filter or they forgot to install the new rubber o-ring on the oil filter cap. I don't think anyone has posted an issue with engine oil leaks on an LR3 or LR4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635