LR4 ... radiator leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etarasoff

Reaction score
Just picked up a 13 HD with 88K on the clock. Drove it from Colorado to Minnesota without issue. Now it's sprung a coolant leak.

Appears to be under the radiator on the passenger size. I see coolant dripping down the crossmember under the radiator that's in front of the skid plate under the engine (see pic). Front of engine everything else I can see look dry.

I'll have to pull it into the garage and take off the skid plate to have a good look, but are the radiators a common issue? Is there anything else around there that could be suspect?

I had already planned on doing the 2 crossovers, water pump, thermostat, etc. as preventative. Looks like I might be doing a radiator too??

Any advice you guys can share with a Land Rover newb are appreciated. I'm not unfamilar with wrenching but I'm definitely new to this platform.

Thanks!

Attachments

• radiator.png
    radiator.png
    466.4 KB · Views: 23

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through my thread. I had a similar issue and ended up replacing mine. It’s tight coming out.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I highly recommend replacing all cooling items as you planned plus the radiator. I also recommend getting everything from fcpeuro.com if you can, simply for their lifetime warranty. Also only get oem parts for cooling and electrical sensors.

I recently did my radiator too and my comment on @f1racer328 thread has some tips on removing it without removing the AC. If you feel compelled to evacuate the AC, I highly recommend taking this opportunity to flip the upper control arm bolt around on the LH (looking from inside the cabin) side. The bolt hits the AC line, but flipped the bolt comes out easily for future work. Just food for thought. Good luck.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself the LR4 workshop manual! Its available as a pdf (and I have no idea why the moderators don’t make it a sticky)

Coincidentally on my ‘13 LR2, the radiator went. So a replacement was sorted. I don’t go chinesium brands. But there are a few options and its worthwhile to compare factory to oem pricing.

LiteFlight1

Reaction score
I came late to the party here as I have been traveling with my 2011 LR4. She just brought me out to Washington state and back to Minnesota with only one fault light! That was for low windshield washer fluid so it really doesn't count either! I had mine develop a small leak on the passenger side of the radiator also a couple of months back. That leak cause me to look more closely at my timing chains while I had some stuff apart and I ended up doing that job also!!! (and it needed it) I had already done the front Y pipe and the thermostat previously and I had the rear crossover pipe in my parts bin for some day....but my leaky radiator brought out my tools and parts a bit sooner than expected and now she drives me where I need to go without worry! I am in central Mn if I can be of any help to you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72