LED turn indicators on a trailer-caravan HELP REQUIRED.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

FBP

I went to pick up my new caravan today but found that the turn indicators were malfunctioning, so the car is back to LR dealer tomorrow while the caravan is still at the manufacturer's factory.

When brake's were applied they lit up on the caravan as normal, when turn indicators were activated in the car the correct indicator flashed on and off as normal on car and caravan however when the turn indicators were returned to the centre position in the car no indicator lights were flashing on the car but on the caravan first one side then the other side would flash, this was a constant repetition like a strobe light continuously flashing on and off at a rate of once every half second or there about.

The trailer wiring is standard fitment for LR Australia and the electric brake controller was wired by LR dealership as per LR Tech Support instructions.

I suspect it is the onboard diagnostics checking for a blown bulb that is causing the problem. Don’t know what the fix is, that’s where you guys come in, all advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

FBP

F

FBP

Update - also applies to new Range Rover as well as Disco3/LR3.

My Disco 3 sends a 3v pulse to the trailer light circuits continuously to check if a bulb is blown, this is ok if you use ordinary 12v bulbs, as the 3v pulse will not activate them.

However there are two types of 12v LED tail lights being manufactured, one requires 12v to activate it and the other will activate on any voltage even the 3v pulse. My caravan has a mixture of these types, the brake lights only activate on 12v while the 3v pulse as well as the 12v are activating the turn indicators. The result is my caravan has strobing indicator lights even while the key is out of the ignition.

Solution as advised by LR Tech Support is to fit 12v relays to the caravan. We now have to provide a pure 12v power supply for the other side of the relay and it cant come from the car. Life is fun isn’t it?

G

giraffekidz

It might be cheaper to add two conventional sidemarker? lights (one on each side) into on the trailer (suggest near the tougue, so they aren't near the back). That way those conventional lights will "fake" the LR3 system. Seems easier (cheaper?) to splice a few lights than to place relays into the system. You could even paint or color over the fixture so you'd never see them light up.

Just a thought.

F

FBP

Thanks for that, still discussing with caravan manufacturer what they want/will do etc

F

FBP

Caravan manufacturer will be fitting relays and picking up clean 12v power from the three 12v batteries in the van.

This solution is fine when you have separate 12v power available, what is really needed is for LR to have a software fix whereby you can have the car test for blown bulbs or not depending on wether LED's are fitted.

I am aware of at least two other people having the same problems with LED's in a trailer/caravan and with the grater use of LED's LR will have to come up with a fix. LR Australia says they are working on the problem, but have not disclosed a time frame for the fix.

FBP

wires

Reaction score
G'day all
I have the fix for the trailer LEDs blinking.

wires

rrover

Reaction score
I have just bought a set of regular lights to put back on it. I haven't replaced them yet hoping someone would find a solution. I have tried Zener Diodes but that didn't work.
I am open to any suggestions.

Troy

DonA

Reaction score
:eek: $297AUD or $231USD plus $32 postage...neat gadget and I respect the work involved but it will be much cheaper for me to change the lights on the trailer to incandescent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge