Looking to buy LR3 - a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Agreed. I bought my 07 HSE with 40k 3 months ago for $26k wholesale, still has warranty left. The dealer was always $4-$5k higher and they weren't interested in coming down much.

When you say wholesale do you mean you found it at auction? Or did you just talk the dealer down?

I'm in the same predicament--looking for an '06 or '07 SE with under 50K in the in the $20-25 range...but can't seem to find a dealer with anything like that here in Nashville.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say wholesale do you mean you found it at auction? Or did you just talk the dealer down?

I'm in the same predicament--looking for an '06 or '07 SE with under 50K in the in the $20-25 range...but can't seem to find a dealer with anything like that here in Nashville.

Independent wholesale dealers who buy them at auction and mark them up very little to move a lot cars. I'm guessing the guys I bought mine from paid around $23k at auction and sold it to me for 26k. Whereas your typical LR dealer is probably looking to book at least $5k profit. I know they are buying them cheap at auction.

A good wholesale dealer in Dallas is texas cars direct. They have great prices, but have been hit and miss on LR3's lately, they mostly have been moving range rover sports. They had a great deal on an LR3 07 grey SE with 42k for $23,500, the LR3's go quick when they get them. They have an incoming inventory report they update daily.

http://www.texascarsdirect.com

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have you checked Edmunds.com and broken your search down by your criteria? I only show 8 nationwide with your criteria under 45,000 miles, 71 come up when you up the mileage to under 60000 miles.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bill Jacobs outside Chicago is one of the best priced LR dealers I've seen. They have an 06 SE with 49,000 for $24992. If you're willing to go the distance. I bought a round trip ticket in case I didn't buy it and drove it back 15 hours...glorious way to break her in.

http://hoffman.landrovers.com/

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
Have to agree with EGRIZZLE about texascarsdirect having the best prices in the DFW area. I was going to purchase from them except they didn't have an LR3 with what I wanted back in Sept 2010. I found my 2007 LR3 SE (42k mile lease return) with every option except navigation for $26500 at a FW Acura dealer. All the local LR dealers were $5k to $6k more.
I'm confused by Bane's comment about the banks financing only purchases from franchised dealers. Texascarsdirect has numerous finance sources and my credit union will finance a purchase from a private individual.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of options. Thanks guys.

I guess I haven't really thought about buying outside of Nashville for a couple reasons: 1) seems like it would cost just as much to either travel to get it or have it shipped...right? 2) How can you really be sure about it? I know people who have bought cars off ebay and been totally happy--but I'm just nervous that you're not building a relationship with a local dealer first... 3) I really don't know that I wanna go to the hassle of selling my truck independently...it seems really nice to just trade it in and forget about it.

Then again, this is the first car I've bought in 6 years...so I'm a little rusty on everything.

Big_Mark

Reaction score
... because here in California, most people don't want a vehicle that gets 14 and 17 for MPG.

Same here in WA State. I was able to buy my 06 LR3 SE for 16k @ 90,000 miles from the local Jag/LR dealership.
Yeah I too was worried about financing a vehicle with that many miles but so far so good!
Also I was still paying on my 06 Malibu Maxx SS, when the dust settled I ended up only paying $13. a month more on the car payment and my insurance went DOWN! Amazing..

As for offroading, I wouldn't dare take my LR3 offroad (other than logging roads, snow, etc) my idea of off road entails tight trails with trees that tend to bash body panels. I'll leave that to the D1 :biggrin:

I do enjoy the ride its comfortable. I drive 20 miles one way to work with a mix of highway and city driving I'm averaging 15.5 MPG, I've had as good as 19 on the highway only. I'm still learning what speeds to drive to conserve as much as I can.

I love this car it rocks

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer actually....I worked him hard...that was including a gmac warranty till 100k...its a 2005. If you remember premium gas was about $4.65 in Aug.08. Values of gas guzzling suv's had dropped big time. Good timing was also a factor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99