Looking to buy LR3 - a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bane

Reaction score
I've only had to replace the tie rods once somewhere between 60-70k miles. Your friend probably had the stock goodyear tires on his truck. They didn't wear down from poor suspension geometry, it's because they are terrible tires. It's widely known that the stock goodyears wear out quickly, unevenly, and noisily(?). At 43k miles, you'd probably be looking at putting new brakes on it (if warped or worn of course), maybe a new tstat soon if you get a CEL. Depending on how hard it's been driven, you shouldn't have to worry about bushings and tie rods till 60-70k miles.

To continue on with the maintenance costs thread, can you tell me what kind of expense is involved with replaceing brakes on a LR3?

Thanks

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with EGRIZZLE about texascarsdirect having the best prices in the DFW area. I was going to purchase from them except they didn't have an LR3 with what I wanted back in Sept 2010. I found my 2007 LR3 SE (42k mile lease return) with every option except navigation for $26500 at a FW Acura dealer. All the local LR dealers were $5k to $6k more.
I'm confused by Bane's comment about the banks financing only purchases from franchised dealers. Texascarsdirect has numerous finance sources and my credit union will finance a purchase from a private individual.

I agree with both of these guys, TEXASCARSDIRECT.com was by far the lowest when my wife and i were shopping. I found ours on there website, put a $1000 deposit down on it, they called when it came in. Flew to Dallas from Houston, they picked me up and the airport and once i walked in they handed me the keys after i gave them a copy of insurance and dl and they said take the car out and keep it as long as i wanted(for the day of course), tested everything out, car has been spotless with exception of needing new bushings now at 48K, bought the lr3 hse with around 21K from them for way below what the dealership was wanting. Plus it was white with tan interior and HSE, so all the bells and whistles, only wish it had the dvd player, next one will. My wife loves the LR3, probably keep it a couple more years then buy a range rover next go round from them.

As far as financing, they will get you preapproved before your vehicle comes in if need be. There bank was lower than any other bank i could find in the houston area. Worked out perfectly.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To continue on with the maintenance costs thread, can you tell me what kind of expense is involved with replaceing brakes on a LR3?

Thanks

~$1200 @ dealer, ~$500 DYI.
There are 6000 threads on this.

Bane

Reaction score
~$1200 @ dealer, ~$500 DYI.
There are 6000 threads on this.

Is that all four sets of pads and rotors? What did that entail?

I will do a search and read the other threads also.

Thanks,

geoellis

Reaction score
That is for pads and rotors all around. I get my parts from Atlantic British and have a local independent garage I trust put them on. That runs me about $800.

Big_Mark

Reaction score
That is for pads and rotors all around. I get my parts from Atlantic British and have a local independent garage I trust put them on. That runs me about $800.

If you go to Napa or Orieleys you can get better pricing that Atlantic British. AB seems to be the Land Rover Newb shop since they pop up near the top of a Google search (they got me as well), they have a lot of stuff but it's mostly overpriced and they don't have everything.

For instance ABS sensors (Front) for my 94 D1 are $200+ Each, on another site I found them new for $60. a side. And guess what they worked :biggrin:

Buyer be ware..

Bane

Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge. I picked up an 06 LR3 HSE with 50K miles for 26K, Blue book on it was 28K. I finally found a dealer willing to come off the price. Bought it in San Francisco and drove it back to San Diego, I love the ride and features so far. The dealer put new tires and brakes on, so nothing to worry about there.

Thanks everyone for the information it helped with my decision to purchase.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Congrats Bane, let's see it!

I seem to be running into a problem finding anything here in Nashville...plus it looks like some of the stuff around here is priced pretty premium. So based on what you guys have been saying, I've expanded the net for the search. Chicago is a pretty easy distance from Nashville, so I started looking there.

I came across this lower mileage '07 SE: http://www.patrickjaguar.com/used/L...over-LR3-3b6ce4180a0a0002018bff6820219c68.htm

and this higher mileage '08 HSE: http://2711.ecarlist.com/web/used/Land-Rover-LR3-2008-Hoffman-Estates-Illinois/942892/

I've been thinking SE this whole time cause I don't care about all the bells and whistles...but this HSE seems like a good deal.

What do you guys think? Is the HSE priced low or the SE priced too high?

Thanks guys!
-Ryan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99