LR Newbie - Thoughts/Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just picked up a 2011 LR4 HSE (Orkney Grey/Black Interior/Black Trim) last week, just in time for a trip up to the Berkshire Mountains in the northeast US. Traded in a very buggy 2008 GMC Acadia, which I thought was comfortable and had a nice ride (when the transmission wasn't failing), but the LR4 blows it away (and it's really pretty comparable in price to a new Acadia Denali). I was amazed at how easily and confidently the LR4 handled the winding mountain roads, especially in a few downpours. Anyway, the posts here have been really helpful, both before purchasing and in the few days since I've picked it up.

The most useful thread so far for me was the post re: headlights. Coming from a car with HIDs, I noticed the difference immediately. Installed the Philips CVs yesterday in the lows/highs/fogs, and they definitely seemed considerably brighter and whiter. Installation was pretty simple (special thanks to the suggestion here to use tape on the fog lights - saved me at least twice from losing a screw).

As for questions/comments - here goes:

1. Rear view camera - the demo at the dealer (HSE Lux) showed the guides in the rear view camera moving/curving as the steering wheel turned, to show where you're heading. On mine, those guides stay straight at all times, regardless of whether the wheel is turned. Are the "moving/curving" lines part of the vision package (which I don't have)?

2. Vision package - while I understand why HIDs and extra cameras would be extra, I was upset that LR didn't include the auto high beam assist in the models w/o the vision package. I had that feature on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and really appreciated the extra illumination it provided on a daily basis. Yes, I can flip the brights on an off when on dark roads, but I view that a bit more as a safety feature that shouldn't cost additional at this level.

3. Memory seats - this was the only feature that was enticing me to the Lux model, but in the end I couldn't justify a few thousand extra for just that option - the other "Lux" options didn't interest me as much. I gather many of you w/o the Lux feel the same way. The salesman said that is easily the biggest complaint they are getting about the HSE non-Lux versions.

4. Service - having trouble accepting that no service is needed for 1 year/15k miles. Since I purchased the LR4 (not leased), I'm thinking I should take it in after a few thousand miles just to change the oil and filter, to clean out any new engine debris. Are these new engines really that maintenance free, or is it LR trying to keep the cost of "suggested" maintenance down?

5. Daytime running lights - those cool LEDs seem wasted to me if they can't stay on during the day (not to mention the safety benefits). I read here that some people have had the dealer program the LEDs to stay on at all times, but the downside is that the low beams also stay on as well at all times. Has anyone discovered a way to have just the LEDs stay on? I'm thinking of having the dealer turn this feature on either way, since the only downside is replacing the set of $30 low beam bulbs more often (guessing at least once or twice per year) - not really that big of a deal.

6. Stereo - while the interface could certainly use a little work, the stereo in this car really rocks and is really crisp at HIGH volumes, especially hooked up to an iPod. I only say that because I read that an option on the 2012 was something like an 800 watt system. Makes me wonder - does LR own a hearing aid company as well?

7. Fuel economy - 500 miles this past weekend in the mountains - averaged 18.5 mpg from start to finish (according to the trip computer). I found that to be amazing considering it's rated at 17 for highway, and that was a combined highway/city average. My old Acadia - at best 11-12 mpg around town, and about 17-18 combined MPG on longer trips. To me, the difference is that the LR4's big engine doesn't need to strain to get going and to go up hills, while the 6 cylinder Acadia engine was always revving much higher just to keep pace (particularly up hills).

Anyway, thanks for all the info on here, and sorry for the longish post, but I find with my other cars, the more feedback/info on these boards, the better (particularly for those in shopping mode). The LR4 was a bit of a mystery to me as recent as a few weeks ago, until my wife cajoled me into stopping in the local dealer. I was thinking about something bigger - Suburban/Yukon/Sequoia - to replace our Acadia, but after exploring and driving the LR4, I was sold on this "smaller" SUV.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
7. Fuel economy - 500 miles this past weekend in the mountains - averaged 18.5 mpg from start to finish (according to the trip computer). I found that to be amazing considering it's rated at 17 for highway, and that was a combined highway/city average. My old Acadia - at best 11-12 mpg around town, and about 17-18 combined MPG on longer trips. To me, the difference is that the LR4's big engine doesn't need to strain to get going and to go up hills, while the 6 cylinder Acadia engine was always revving much higher just to keep pace (particularly up hills).

Remember, the trip computer calculates a couple of miles per gallon higher than actual. So if your trip computer says 18.5, you probably actually got around 16.5 mpg.

If you want better mileage, ask LRnewbie for tips on calculating your usage by hand. He "eyeballs" the gas gauge and scratches out an estimate from there. You could actually be getting closer to 21 mpg without even realizing it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey goblue95,

Congratulations! You will definitely have to post some pictures for us, as I really love the Orkney Grey. I am originally from MA and love the Berkshires! I currently live in CA, but hope to move back to MA at some point in the next couple years. It would be awesome to have my LR4 in New England to tackle the snow and mountain roads. For now, I am planning to go to Tahoe where there is lots of snow and then just brave the suburbs. Hehe!

I also have the HSE package and can try to answer some of your questions. I am glad you like the Philips CV upgrade - it's great. Actually, I am upgrading to the HID kit from DDM this weekend. The upgrade is VERY easy from what I hear (a number of people on here did it) and looks amazing... finally real HID lights! Definitely read through that HID thread and let us know if you have any questions or if you are interested in the upgrade. The kit is very plug and play and easy to remove if needed. Check it out!

1) I believe the moving of the camera is part of the Vision Assist package and not offered on the standard HSE back-up camera.

2) No Auto-high beam feature without the Vision Assist. This is a feature I would not use much, but still, it's really handy. I agree it could have been included.

3) I have definitely heard other HSE owners complain about the lack of memory seating, especially for the driver. I am the only driver of my LR4, so it's not important to me, but I can see how it would be a good option.

4) You do NOT need to take the LR4 in every few thousand miles, it's definitely meant to go 1 year / 15,000 miles without an oil change / maintenance. I would say if you are a very aggressive driver and drive it a lot for commuting, stop and go traffic, then maybe you can go more frequent. However, the computer will tell you when you are ready for the oil change, so wait for that warning. With that said, if you do not put a lot of miles on it, like me, then make sure you at least bring it to the dealer before 1 year of ownership to get the first maintenance free of charge. Other than that, just wait for the warning. I got my LR4 in February 2011 and just hit 4,000 miles.

5) You can have you DRLs programmed at the dealer for a charge. They program the computer to run the LEDs all the time. One thing you can do, though it can be annoying but it's just habit for me, is you can turn your lights to the OFF location and then when you drive and want only the LEDs on (like DRLs) is to turn the knob ONE CLICK to the right and you will have only the LEDs on and nothing else (well ,except for the little yellow side lights). You just gotta remember to turn them on and off everytime you drive - which I do because I like the LEDs on while I drive.

6) I am NOT an audiophile at all, so the stereo is fine for me, but I see what you mean - totally.

7) There are lots of tips and tricks about getting better MPG! :)

Best of luck and definitely keep us posted!!!!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72