lr3 been sitting for a year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

speakman

hello - we just brought home our new LR3 V8 SE - we got a (very) good deal because she is a 2006, originally registered in Feb 06 as a demo/service loaner but never actually used as such. Accordingly she is "new", 30 miles on the clock, but has been sitting outdoors (Rockville, MD) basically unused for a year. Because she was registered, the 4yr warranty is down to about three. Based on a 20 mile or so run home she feels great, but I wondered if any of you had any thoughts about what to worry about with such a car. I do know it's a highly complex piece of technology, not a Camry, and am not afraid of complexity (plus i can walk to my office from the dealer so am not too freaked out if trips to the shop are required) but would welcome any input on things to look for...

Thanks
John

Also seeking clues as to the dealer-installed navi that we are going to send it back in for soon, but i will send a separate note about that..

dbregman

Reaction score
Also have then make sure all the service campaigns (TSB's) have been completed.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they install a new battery? If the car was "looked through" by prospective owners, they were sure to tinker with the seats, stereo, etc. If the vehicle was sitting all that time, that would certainly drain if not damage the battery. If the vehicle just sat, the problem may not exist, but the cold weather in Rockville certainly could have strained it a bit.

dtmelm

Reaction score
I would have them check all the things that might have moisture...

Change oil and filter.
Use a fuel additive that eliminates moisture.
Ask them to consider giving you a "good faith" fuel injector cleaning.
Watch for tire flat spots (although they will be real obvious when you're driving)

Just my few ideas...

Oh...And if it's your first LR, think about going to the LR Experience. We just did that at the Quail Lodge here in CA. 6 hours of training and fun. Pics to follow...Really worth the money though..

D.

ddeeble

Reaction score
I'm going to assume it's at least been started periodically and the engine allowed to run - otherwise the list of potential issues can get very long! Any kind of flexible seals will begin to deteriorate (especially HVAC), bushings can harden and crack, water contamination of brake, oil and fuel systems, etc... An idle year can be a very long time for something that was designed to be in motion.

Assuming the engine has been routinely started and allowed to at least reach operating temperature and the HVAC system was run periodically, I would say water intrusion would be the most serious potential issue. I would ask that they flush (not just replace) the brake and oil systems and definitely add some anti-moisture additive in the fuel tank.

As others others have mentioned, flat spots in the tires, musty smells coming from the AC, new battery (although dealers usually keep these fairly consistently charged), new wiper blades (you can bet those are shot after a year in the sun), and TSB's would be a good list of things to look for.

Any of these problems should surface pretty quickly though, so I doubt you'll be 'surprised' by some failure just after the remainder of the warranty has expired.

Congrats on the ride and enjoy! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4