LR3 Cup Holder Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

UnbrknCh8n

I love my LR3, but have some frustration about the (large) size of the cup holders in the center console. I drink a lot of soda, and 16 or 20 oz bottles really tilt all over, and sometimes fly out of the holder when I'm cornering (even when I'm not driving like an idiot).

Apparently, this is an improvement over the Disco II's small cup holders, but it still can be kind of annoying to me.

Is anyone aware of any sort of "fix" for this (such as an insert which provides more stability for smaller bottles or cans?)

(i do have to say that if my main complaint about my LR3 is the size of the cupholder, life is pretty darn good!)

R

roverdawg

The large cup holders, while better than the smallish ones I had in my 98' Disco, can be a pain in the @$$ (I've cleaned up more spills 'cuz of this feature). I had an extra Ipod holder (designed to fit in a cup holder) that I modified by cutting out a piece of plastic. Works great for soda cans, etc. On one of the other forums someone tried cutting a sleeve but had mixed results.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't drink enough -- well, outside of the local pubs. ;)

Never had a spill in LR3. Of course, now I will because I said that...

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pop out one on the passengers side is handy (HSE only)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
So what your saying is the item your putting in the hole is too small for the size of the container... Sorry couldn't help myself.

Try going to walmart (I hate that word) and seeing if they have any inserts that might fit.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
askewed said:
The pop out one on the passengers side is handy (HSE only)
My '05 SE has the pop out on the passenger side too.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The additional front passenger cup holder is part of the Rear Seat Package (3rd row), which is no longer optional on '06 HSE in North America.

U

UnbrknCh8n

roverdawg said:
I had an extra Ipod holder (designed to fit in a cup holder) that I modified by cutting out a piece of plastic. Works great for soda cans, etc. On one of the other forums someone tried cutting a sleeve but had mixed results.

Thanks for the idea. I've tried cutting up one of my kid's pool "noodles," and this has saved more than a few spills, but I was hoping for a "fix" that didn't look like it was designed by a Boy Scout on acid.

The 16 or 20 oz bottles falling out are a nuisance, but when I lost a 24 oz cup of hot coffee when turning right (wetting my pants and, more importantly, losing my caffeine delivery system), I was a little more annoyed.

I agree that the pop-out passenger side cupholder is great, but it's a long reach from the driver seat!

T

toddjb123

Its funny the problems that end up getting addressed. Some NA exec must have spilled his coffee, because this has been "fixed" in 2006 vehicles...

Had my car in the shop this week (gas tank recall) and they gave me an '06 SE to drive. Sure enough, the new cup holder inserts are much narrower at the base. Look like they'd hold a can of soda or cup of coffee much better.

Guess you can buy some '06 inserts for your '05 cup holders and get an LR solution. I'm sure those inserts are only $20 a piece from the dealer! :)

On an unrelated note, I've been reading about the lumbar shortage ('06?) from afar. FWIW, the SE '06 they gave me had lumbar, it worked fine, no complaints.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As posted before, earliest '06 builds had lumbar... it's long gone now. (As early builds weren't HSE, no '06 HSEs have it so far.)

I never noticed the cup holder insert difference... as I said earlier, I guess I don't drink enough!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635