LR3 Decissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alryky30

Reaction score
Ok, I was so sold on the LR3, but some of your guys have scared the crap out of me. This is going to be a five person family vehicle that needs to last the miles.
As I know that these are not Toyota's, Honda's or Nissan's I am no fool in thinking these will not need maintenace. I am pretty car maintenance savvy, but please tell me how much on average year your LR3's run you on maintenance. We in the military do not make bank so I need the best bang for my buck.
Yes I am American true and blue and a Sailor ta boot, but I will not under any circumstance ever buy another "American Made" P.O.S.....

Hollywood619

Reaction score
I hear you about the Sailor income (I'm a Navy Chief) but you don't have to worry about maintenance for 4 years/50K and the same goes for warranty. I bought mine here in Europe and have drivern it 15K and my only problems have been minor electronic warranty issues like the parking sensors and a bad tire pressure sensor. I would recommend a 2007 or newer (new models do NOT include maintenance), be mindful of excessive mileage and inspect the vehicle carefully for excessive "off-roading" (such as deep scratches and bent items in the undercarriage, mud buildup in the compressor pump area and within the frame rails-all of which you can inspect by putting the vehicle in off road height and crawling underneath).
This is a great vehicle which handles great, provides a nice ride and has a certain cache you do not receive with American trucks. Do a search and you can find the post for a much cheaper extended warranty that is offered through Ford.

Good Luck!!

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they're great... no reason to worry about what you're reading in the message boards really... most of the people that only visit here are the ones who have problems and are seeking help..

I've had my 06 since 06 and haven't had one problem worth mentioning... have had 3 years of free service and I'm an extremely happy customer.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One problem with getting answers to your very valid questions is that most long-time owners of these vehicles have had them for a few years and the whole time they've been under warranty. That not only throws off the cost-measurement but also makes the tolerance level (for maintenance trips) a bit higher.

I am going to put it like this...I LOVE my LR3. Absolutely love it...but I'm on a first-name basis with my service reps at the LR Dealer too.

crossbowme

Reaction score
I only have 4K on mine so far and I have had some minor irritations. However, the truck I traded in on the LR3 (2003 GMC 3500 Duramax) was a maintenance nightmare. I bought it new and in 52k I had on it I had it towed to a dealer 3 times and had 4 major failures! I think the LR3 will have to go down hill a lot to match that POS! My LR3 has a 75k warranty on it and I take it to the dealer for all my maintenance and anything that could be warranty related. My sense so far is that the LR3 is a vehicle that must have the maintenance required but if you do that, it will stand up well. I have had dozens of vehicles in my life and this is one of the best.

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
luv my 06 it came with extended warranty 4yrs 75k and the only problem has been a cracked winshield washer bottle. replaced under warranty

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
my '06 lr3 just completed a quick out and back from denver to chicago, it ran great and got 18 mpg for the trip. it was snowing when i left chicago and the roads were ice and snow covered all the way to nebraska with countless cars and truck wrecked on the road side. even with the junk stock tires it was great.

they seem to have teething problems when u get them even used. if your patient with a good dealer once they get used to u it's all good.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are a 6 person family and our kids love it! We have to put the bags up top when we travel but who cares. We have had some issues that have all been fixed under warranty. I also have the warranty out till 100k miles and it sure make me sleep a lot better. I would suggest that you check into one. A lot of guys are getting the Ford ESP warranty for a really good deal, I have the LR one. It is an incredible vehicle!

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06' LR3 only had 26k on it when I bought it, but within the first few months of ownership, I have had it in the shop about 4 times. The standard CPU reflashes were done on my first visit, which the dealer scheduled the day I bought the truck. They actually went through every system and made sure it had the latest updates. The next visit was for a suspension fault(bad sensor). The rest have been for annoyances like shakes and rattles that should be worked out soon... hopefully.

My experience at my dealership has been great. It is almost a pleasure to bring the truck in for service. They always have a loaner car available(usually a Rover) and I always end up having a great conversation with the service manager or my sales guide.

This is my second CPO car (first was an Audi A4) and it really isn't a different experience as far as the first few months go. I think these trucks come in off lease in generally good condition, but the little things that a long term owner would care about seem to be neglected. Once you figure out what issues need to be addressed and then keep up on the regular maintenance, I would bet you have a solid truck for the long term.

alryky30

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you

All of your insight has put my busy mind at ease. I was just very concerned because I am in Italy right now, and there is kind of a shortage of good reputable maintenance places here. I am sure we will proceed with our plans and look at getting the 2010 model, due to the fact that the 2009 model year for military sales is already gone, and the wife can not bring herself to go after the only other option I gave with a right hand drive version.:proud::proud:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4