LR3 Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

slimjim28

So how is the LR3 for reliability? I have a VW Touareg that is in the process of being bought back by VW and I'm considering the LR3 as a replacement. The LR3 is the only vehicle that I have found that comes close to the Touareg's feature set.

In less than one year of ownership of my Touareg, it has visited the dealership 12 plus times. On a plus side, the VW dealership was only 20 minutes away. The closest Land Rover dealership is about an hour away. So the LR3 reliability issue is going to be a big factor in my purchase decision. The last I looked Consumer Reports still didn't have any data on the LR3.

The common complaints I have seen so far seem to be air suspension failures and system shutdowns while driving. Have these issues been resolved and are you experiencing any other nuisance related failures?

I would appreciate your feedback!

B

backpain

I think the powertrain is solid, the interior is well put together and with tight decent quality parts. I'm hoping that a software update from LR will fix some of the annoying issues such as the rolling stop power surge, odd cruise control performance, and auto windows all the way around (my Audi had that and man was it nice) and the engine whine on the AUX input. I'd like to see a bigger brake kit come out, sometimes those brakes feel really weak for such a heavy vehicle.

Expect electrical issues, it's a British car signiature ya know ;-p (mine had a screw driven through the FM antenna amp supply shorting out the system... all factory). I'm not suprised at the suspension issues, it's all new and I think LR might have pushed this car onto market a little early (a couple more focus groups might have yielded a more improved onership experience).

But, I think LR learned a lot with the BMW experience on the Range. And with the Ford backing I'd expect LR to improve as has the Jaguar line since Ford invested. The LR3 is a big leap from the Disco (not to knock the D, we have one too and dig on it). Hopefully Ford doesn't start rolling out the LR platforms everywhere under different badgine like they seem to do. So far my only problems have been primarily annoyances and quickly remedied. I've had more problems with the ******* that put in my bluetooth and DVD system.

Always an adventure! Isn't consumerism the best?!

B

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think the brakes are exceptional. Firm pedal, easily modulated. The brakes feel "weak" in the top third to half of the pedal travel which is fine. If you need more brake, just step on them harder.

Unlike the overly assisted brakes found on many new cars, these brakes need a little pedal effort to really get them to bite hard. The pedal feel is closer to the big brake kit on my Audi than a typical SUV. One of the strongest points of the LR3, IMHO.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What big brake kit do you have on your Audi? I have Stoptechs on my Audi.

F

fbaer

I got my HSE on 12/23 and it has a bit over 1800 miles on it. I have had 1 electrical glitch, the nav system died, but reset itself right away and since jan 3 i have had no issues at all. I really love it! It is an amazing vehicle, and I cant wait for spring to take it ff road! I DID take it onto a frozen lake for ice races, it was a blast.

I was on my way to the dealer to buy a 2004 cayenne s, and decided to look at the lr3 again, and with the research i did, on the recalls and techical svc bulletins on the cayenne, i opted for the LR3. Since it is a brand new truck, i knew there may be an issue or 2, but that Ford has a lot at stake, and absolutely will take care of customers.

Good luck!

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jzk said:
What big brake kit do you have on your Audi? I have Stoptechs on my Audi.

Alcons. Hope the LR3 is as reliable as these British made brakes have been.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6800 miles since November. 1 software glitch when it was -18 degrees a brake warning code was thrown.

Otherwise, dead solid reliable -- as was our 01 SE7 Disco.

A

AKlr3

Silver on black SE with 3500 on the clock since Nov 18, and not one problem so far (knock on wood). Love this truck. Great in all the snow this winter in Alaska. Goodyears perform well.

B

backpain

steve c said:
6800 miles since November. 1 software glitch when it was -18 degrees a brake warning code was thrown.

Otherwise, dead solid reliable -- as was our 01 SE7 Disco.

I've noticed some cold weather oddities on startup, everything from a complete system failure to the park brake, suspension or HDC failure. But turn the car off pull the key and restart and it's fine. I'm the same way, hate mornings and cold mornings suck worse.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635