LR3 shift selector problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like it probably has a plug on it somewhere, perhaps in the shifter? It looks like you might want to continue to disassemble it.. Obviously water in there somewhere. I would lean toward replacement. That means it needs to come apart anyway..

Well done write up with pictures..

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up again, I finally decided to just unbolt and remove the shifter assembly because my eyes are just not good enough anymore to discern how the harness was attached. The space was too small and cramped for my fingers to feel around.

In the end it is quite simple, so I figured I would post a pic here for any other harness-challenged people like myself!

Turns out you just push in on the front of the harness and then push/pull down on the bar in front and when the bar is fully lowered it sort of self-ejects itself from the shifter assembly. Once I got it off, it was quite evident where the problems were. I used some compressed air to blow out the connections.

Since there was still some green, I used a wire brush and cut off a few strands and twisted them together to make a mini-brush to clean inside the contacts on the harness. I did not have any contact cleaner and of course, I was too lazy to put it all back together just to be able to drive and get some. When fussing around with my make-shift brush I made the key-chime go off again, so clearly that issue stemmed from this harness. I disconnected the battery after that!

Being the impatient ******* that I am, I could not leave well-enough alone and decided to use a q-tip and rubbing alochol to try and gently clean the pins on the shifter assembly. I must have bent one and my eyes just could not see it (it was supper sunny bright out) and when I went to put the harness back in I had resistence. I saw the pin bent but in trying to get it back straight it broke off :frown:.

Everything works without pin#8, but now instead of the D light being on permenantly, it only comes on when the lights are on and it goes off when the LR3 is off. Ironically, that is progress, but unfortunately, it looks like it will be a $250 investment in a new shifter assembly now to fix my stupid mistake in leaving the sunroof cracked.

Anyone have the wiring diagram of this harness? Now I am curious what each pin actually does.

Attachments

• LR3 Shift Assembly Release Harness.jpg
    LR3 Shift Assembly Release Harness.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 309
  • LR3 Corroded Harness.jpg
    LR3 Corroded Harness.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might help...

Well, I can't seem to get the link to post properly, so go to www. disco3. co. uk /gallery/albums/userpics/37402/307-01_Automatic_Transmission.pdf

Was it the purple wire you were referring to? If so, it looks like it may just be power from the battery for something.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to release the wire from the older, and fit a new metal contact on it. Not ideal, but it's fixable.

If you need some additional manuals, drop me a pm.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might just be best to try and find a harness on e-bay or from a junked LR3 somewhere. I would think you should be able to pick up a used wiring harness fairly cheap.

Anyway, if your D light is staying on no matter what, then I would be paying close attention to pin 14 (the blue and red striped wire) coming out of the gear selector mechanism. That's the power wire for the D light. For some reason, it seems to be getting power all the time, so perhaps it's shorted?

Emma

Reaction score
Just to follow up again, I finally decided to just unbolt and remove the shifter assembly because my eyes are just not good enough anymore to discern how the harness was attached. The space was too small and cramped for my fingers to feel around.

In the end it is quite simple, so I figured I would post a pic here for any other harness-challenged people like myself!

Turns out you just push in on the front of the harness and then push/pull down on the bar in front and when the bar is fully lowered it sort of self-ejects itself from the shifter assembly. Once I got it off, it was quite evident where the problems were. I used some compressed air to blow out the connections.

Since there was still some green, I used a wire brush and cut off a few strands and twisted them together to make a mini-brush to clean inside the contacts on the harness. I did not have any contact cleaner and of course, I was too lazy to put it all back together just to be able to drive and get some. When fussing around with my make-shift brush I made the key-chime go off again, so clearly that issue stemmed from this harness. I disconnected the battery after that!

Being the impatient ******* that I am, I could not leave well-enough alone and decided to use a q-tip and rubbing alochol to try and gently clean the pins on the shifter assembly. I must have bent one and my eyes just could not see it (it was supper sunny bright out) and when I went to put the harness back in I had resistence. I saw the pin bent but in trying to get it back straight it broke off :frown:.

Everything works without pin#8, but now instead of the D light being on permenantly, it only comes on when the lights are on and it goes off when the LR3 is off. Ironically, that is progress, but unfortunately, it looks like it will be a $250 investment in a new shifter assembly now to fix my stupid mistake in leaving the sunroof cracked.

Anyone have the wiring diagram of this harness? Now I am curious what each pin actually does.

Thank you for your detailed posts and pics. As a result I found corrosion in exactly the same connector (replacing the terrain switch circuit board did nothing) I'm about to clean-carefully!- and as mine seems a little than yours I'm hoping once clean I'll have some success.

I too have the light indicating D, and my terrain selection switch is not lit at all although all other functions work (suspension, park break).

I'm wondering how yours ended up? Was that corroded connector your only issue?

Last edited:

dorf_online

Reaction score
Thank you for all your input and pictures. Mine too is illuminating "D" constantly, and manual shifting is unavailable, with "Transmission Fault" warning on dash. With the info provided I will attempt a fix, thanks again!

BERNEL NERY

Reaction score
Time to resurrect this Thread. I'm sure by now everyone is happy with their "working" SPORT mode or COMMAND SHIFT. Typically post like these once a problem is fix nobody comes back to update, But that is common. So here is my problem

1. No problem with illuminating D as describe.
2. No Errors/Warning on the Dash or Fault message.
3. Just basically an intermittent COMMAND SHIFT. That is because the I did disconnect that connector, no corroded connector for me which is even strange. It work after I disconnected the connector. Then next day did not work again.

jverbruggen

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I noticed these posts regarding the D light staying illuminated, and shift command not working, as well as having a "Transmission Fault." I believe my issue is a result of my sunroof being left open in the rain as the problem came about two days later. I removed the harness which goes into the shifter assembly and noticed some corrosion. I used contact cleaner multiple times on the harness, as well as where the harness plugs into (I did not use any wire brushes). Unfortunately after putting it back together, the same problem persists. Any recommendations? could it be on the inside portion of the shifter assembly? Is there a way to take it apart? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Josh

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not find any simple way to take the shifter assembly apart - I think it was rivoted together (I could be wrong) and there was a small circuit board at the connector, so it is quite possible the assembly board itself incurred an electrical short which would make cleaning its connector and/or the wiring harness useless. I have no way of being sure - all I can tell you is that I used the existing harness (cleaned up) and replaced the shifter assembly and all has been fine since. I also purchased the shifter plate (P,R,N,D) as it is a separate attached item that does not come with the shifter assembly but the original was fine and I did not actuall need it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72