LR3 Side Molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, my first post here. Just got my 07 LR3 HSE last week. Loving it! About to break first 500 miles. I've been going easy on it due to its "break in" period and can't wait to see what it can do on and off road.

Question though. Dealer installed side molding per my request but they seem to be (very) slightly off position. I would like to take them off and do it myself but I am afraid that I might damage door surface in the process.

Does anybody know more about side molding? Are they bolted in or glued in? Would it be ok just to take them off or will it damage paint? Thanks in advance. - Brian from DE

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automotive grade sticky tape. Removing it won't damage the door surfaces, but you will need to clean up the mess. Obviously, once it's removed... the double-stick tape that came on the strips won't be too useful.

Since you paid the dealer for install, it's their job to fix it if it was installed incorrectly. Most likely, they'll just use another set...

Last edited:

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. Took them off and put them back, little higher than where dealer installed. It is just double side tape. I could have done it myself (salesman told me they use special glue blah blah blah). Oh well, lesson learned - side molding, do it yourself! - Brian from DE

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were able to remove them and re-apply them without new tape? If so, impressive.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were able to remove them and re-apply them without new tape? If so, impressive.

LOL, more likely the origional install was not quite up to par and perhaps used the wrong adhesive tape.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was hot day today and my LR3 was sitting in the parking lot all day. Didn't have problem taking them off. It doesn't seem as sticky as it was when I applied again but they should hold. Thanks for the tip, grommet! - Brian from DE

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While its already been said....yes, very easy to install yourself and I'm sure if you're only within the first 500 miles you probably won't have a big problem with the reinstall. As you said, it was a hot day and everything was nice and gooey!

I hope these don't trap water and attract rust over the life of the vehicle. But, at 42K they have no doubt saved me from plenty of door dings. I'm surprised the truck doesnt' come with them.

I had the dealer install my side step bars. To a casual observer, they're fine, but I can tell they didn't to a great job. One side is positioned slightly higher than the other and they did a messy job of cutting an access hole underneath. Its fine, but since I was paying a dealer to install them on a brand new truck, I would have expected a better job and not a rush job.

Anyway, here's the truck out this weekend... ;)
DSC_8510-vi.jpg

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My beloved 07 LR3 HSE with side molding that "I" installed..... I love this car!

DSC09674_jpg.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My beloved 07 LR3 HSE with side molding that "I" installed..... I love this car!

flysurfer, how do you like the storage box up top? i'm going to have to get one for my LR3 soon (baby on the way) and was wondering A) how easy it is to take on and off the car so i can still fit the truck in the garage and B) how easy is it to load that high up?

Thanks!

what's with the "flysurfer" handle? do you kite by any chance? (its a kite brand, if you didn't know.)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Rig Flysurfer!

Todd, I have a Yakami skybox thingie (21 cubic feet of goodness) and it works out well. I use a Thule roof rack & cross bar system that can hold the Yakima box or my Hannibal roof rack, depending on the type of outing I'm going on.

The box is very quiet up there, but it does block the view out of the sunroof (but not the operation of it).

I am very tall, so the box location poses no difficulties for me. I just stand on the rock sliders or rear tire. My wife stands on my tires or opens the door and stands on the rear seat to access it.

Here are a few photos of the Thule pylon mount (holding the Hannibal):
LR3_hannibal_rack-11.gif

LR3_hannibal_rack-12.gif

LR3_hannibal_rack-13.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635