LR3 slight differential noise normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission gets more complicated. To start, if a shop tells you that they can do a transmission service while you wait, for less then 4 hours, they either are lying to you, or not preforming it correctly. I do not trust any fluid exchange/flush system that I have ever seen, or used, and the fluid MUST be filled with the vehicle cold. Also, if you plan on changing the filter, it is several hours of labor, as exhaust, frame cross beam, and engine mount need to all be undone before the pan can be removed.

This sounds like something I'd want a shop like yourself to do. I have worked with Flying Circus English Cars in Durham NC since 1999. You may have heard of them being regional to you.

I realize some dealers may not be "good" but just the same, some must be ok and I think I've found a good one in Tacoma Wa. At least for now the service folks and tech are great and have never tried to push anything. In fact I've only been there for codes or obvious failures that have come up during trips.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestion, and I agree completely, dealerships are not 'bad'. They are, and always will be a higher labor rate per hour then an independent shop, as they have far more overhead. The main thing is to have a service adviser, and technician that you trust, and is honest. This goes for indy shops as well, a good tech is worth it, even if he costs you a little more per hour, it really will save you in the long run.

My only issue is with the concept that dealer techs are the most qualified, trust me, as I have been the foreman at multiple dealerships, there are vastly different levels of techs anywhere you go, and even though you pay the higher rate, you may be getting a lower quality repair. I am not trying to put any dealership as a whole down, but most have a few weak links.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...my opinion is just that the dealer has more resources. That means a larger network for information and parts. ...but, almost more importantly, I'm more comfortable taking a corporate entity to task if the repair is not up to *****, than I am with a ma 'n pa shop.

To Dave's point, I've had a great rapport with my local dealership. They always take care of me; and may nearly give me incentives and discounts which offset the higher labor rate.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....The main thing is to have a service adviser, and technician that you trust, and is honest. This goes for indy shops as well, a good tech is worth it, even if he costs you a little more per hour, it really will save you in the long run....

I agree and that is why when I'm in NC, I go to Flying Circus and nowhere else. I made sure my extended warranty was good for use at any ACE certified shop but it also says any shop qualified if no dealers are nearby.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone that needs parts for these let me know.

I suggest 30k on diff oil changes, 60k on transfer case, and 60-70k on transmission.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front/rear diff were replaced at 40k miles. afterward I change the fluid every 20k. Now I'm at 100k miles and the front is failing. it appears regular fluid chg not doing much good :(

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that elsewhere. No way to know for sure why, but it has worked for most folks, including myself. Let me know if you want better than OEM stuff...

djkronik57

Reaction score
I do not trust any fluid exchange/flush system that I have ever seen, or used, and the fluid MUST be filled with the vehicle cold.

I'm at 89k miles now and was looking into a transmission fluid flush from a dealer or LR specific indy nearby. Why is a flush not a good idea?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...maybe it was done in during the first 40k miles. The 20k intervals sounds reasonable.

Since changing both my diffs I changed fluids every 1000-2000 miles (that's right) until the fluid came back clear and the magnet devoid of shavings. Now that both have gotten the green light, I'm going 15k for the interval.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM