LR3 Small Mystery Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the factory LR and probably have 20k on it with no issues other than the smell of antifreeze around the expansion tank. Really I top it off every couple of months with maybe 8 oz of coolant.

GOTROVER

Reaction score
I’ve tried several water pumps and none of them managed to last long. (Autozone, Roverparts) I assume the gasket and the manufacture brand make a difference in product.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you expected using an Autozone part on a Land Rover, and then a used part....time to nut-up and buy a new factory part and live happily ever after.

GOTROVER

Reaction score
Well, isn't that the obvious. As stated before I bought one from autozone/ roverparts.com and none of them lasted long. Besides what difference does it make on your part. I thought this website was design to help Rover family fix a problem not comment as a blogger.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto and choose your part and gasket option.
I would use metal impeller, not sure what plastic/metal has to do with pump cavitation, either should be 100% immersed in fluid, with equal pressure on in/out side and if the supply side supplies the pump sufficiently no cavitation. You more likely have blocked hoses, starving the pump creating the cavitation and premature wearing if cavitation was the problem. Sounds like the guy had some plastic impeller pumps to sell. Plenty of good pumps with plastic and like so with metal.

Land Rover parts...he said the box had an Airtex pump inside, guess I should buy that plastic tee bleeder back i replace with a metal one.

Good luck ALL

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, isn't that the obvious. As stated before I bought one from autozone/ roverparts.com and none of them lasted long. Besides what difference does it make on your part. I thought this website was design to help Rover family fix a problem not comment as a blogger.

In my mind, I'm pointing out the answer, albeit with some sarcasm...

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Gates water pump. I chose to replace mine as a preventative measure. I have a small leak that I noticed on my oil or bottom engine plate. I looked for hoses, radiator, etc. for leaks and found none. I started looking into our water pumps and decided that I would pick a pump up in case it was the pump.
I;ve used gates hoses and pumps for my International Scouts and like the quality of the part for those so it seems like a good brand however I have not fitted mine so no history yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72