LR3 vs. 2 LR4s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikesh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in Canada trying to decide between the following 3 cars.

1. 2009 LR3 HSE lux with ~68000 miles - asking $18000 cad ($14200 usd)
- at a kia dealer. trade in from 1st owner
- stock
- reasonable looking service record, but not complete.

2. 2013 LR4 HSE lux with ~75000 miles - firm at $33500 cad ($26442 usd)
- 2nd owner
- has 5 compomotive 18s with M/T tires.
- 1.5" jonson rod lift
- prospeed sliders and underbody protection.
- seems to shift a bit rough compared to the car below.
- good service record from the current owner since 2016. Can't tell before that.

3. 2013 LR4 HSE with ~50000 miles - firm at $39000 cad ($30776 usd)
- 2nd owner
- stock
- rear locker.
- in the 2013 LR4 brochure, it said backup camera is standard with HSE pack, but there is no backup camera for some reason.
- very good service records from the original dealer. oil changed every 7500km.

I don't drive very much. <5000 miles a year. Would be my only car, and maybe 10% offroad for camping and whatnot.

I'm leaning towards #3 mainly due to rear locker and very new interior, but don't want to in 2 years have some kind of catastrophic issue. I don't want to have to put another 10-15k into it.

The LR3 I'm ok if I have to put more money into fixing things given the lower price. Currently seems to be in very good condition.

And #2 has 5-6k of mods so it's in effect 10k cheaper than 3 except for 25000 more miles. And do I even need a rear locker for the kind of offroad I would do? But feels nice to have it. And $40k cad is kind of my upper range on what I want to spend on a car.

What are you all's thoughts?

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I use to off road a lot, and never had lockers. Rovers have almost always come with open diffs with a central lock in some cases. I have driven is some crazy places and only got stuck one time (follow simple rules, never off road with only one vehicle unless you have lots of recovery gear to include either a winch or a come along and tow straps), For the money and the low mileage you say you plan to drive. I would go with option 1.

kameag

Reaction score
Not sure where you are in Canada, but there is a nice looking LR4 at Hunt Club in Nepean. See Autotrader.

Bowman

Reaction score
I like number 1 too. I have a 2005 LR3 with 195K miles. Yeah I have to fix things once in a while but its a strong running vehicle and it's my daily driver. I have a house in Georgia USA, but currently i'm in Big Sur California. I towed my travel trailer out here without any issues, stopping at all the 4-wheel spots I can find on the way. Water pumps are common problem area but once fixed should be good to go. I have no complaints about the 4.4 L engine, except maybe the milage, especially pulling a trailer. But that's to be expected.

Mikesh

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. So it turns out the dealer already took 2 deposits for #1 and didn't tell me. He said he got like 50 calls for the car. It sold to the first guy. LR3's are really popular here and don't show up much. I'm in Vancouver. I saw another LR3 with 100,000+ miles and they also wanted like $18k cad (~$14k usd) which seems really pricey. Also he wouldn't let me drive it lol. The car seems very well taken care of, but the EAS compressor was super loud compared to a LR4. And he said the compressor was just replaced 1 year ago and he had the receipt.

Anyways, I'm going to go with #3. I may be overpaying a little, but I've made my peace with it. It's in really good condition. The interior is almost like new. Getting it PPI'd in a couple of days.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rover... take pics when it is yours and post in the Intro section.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA