LR3's "Land Rover" hood letters same as 2004 Discovery II ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the LR3's "Land Rover" hood letters are the identical ones used for the 2004 Discovery II's? The part numbers for each set are different, but I've heard they are identical and Land Rover issued new part numbers for the LR3's hood letters. Mine need replacing that's why I'm asking. Anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

TRD4ME

Reaction score
The part number was updated becuase there was an issue with the emblems surface pealing. A newer emblem is now available for LR3. As for the contour of the hood, when you replace emblems on either of the two vehicles, the replacement part is on a straight peice of cardboard, it is up to the installer to match the contoiur of the hood.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you suggest I look for the new part #'s? I don't want to re-install the same "Land Rover" letters and have them peel. Thanks in advance!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the replacement part is on a straight peice of cardboard, it is up to the installer to match the contoiur of the hood.

No, that is incorrect. Within the straight piece of cardboard, the individual letters are spaced and rotated on angles to match the contour of the hood. All you need to do is lay it down and peel it off....unless you want to put them on a flat surface like what I did to the rear of my truck. Then you have to hand adjust each letter to get them to layout out flat horizontally.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you got me interested and I went to the bin to check it out.
Both of these come on flat cardboard sheets, with film on the fronts. The film keeps the letters in the proper spacing until they are set down. You pull the backing, lay it down on the car, and when you have it correct, you press the set down, and remove the film and voila!

The letters for both cars are the same height and type face, and very similiar color, despite different color codes.

LR3 "ROVER" measures 15 3/4 from edge to edge on the bottom of the "R", and you can see a definite "bow" to how they are set, so that when they are placed, they follow the back curvature on the metal. A straight edge underneath reveals no significant curvature to the letters, they are essentially flat, and if you look at your hood, that is an essentially flat surface.

SII "ROVER" measures 14 1/4 from edge to edge on the bottom of the "R". The word lay is essentially straight. A straight edge underneath reveals a significant curvature to the letters. The hoodline of a Discovery has a pretty good curve for the letters to sit on, and they are formed as such.

Bottom line, different. You could probably make them work, but it would be a ton of work to get a quality outcome.

As for improved part #, I show:
"LAND"
DAB500050LQV up to 6A376899
DAB500050LQV after 6A376899
"ROVER"
DAB500080LQV up to 6A376899
DAB500080LQV after 6A376899

I did a search, and if there is a new and improved #, I do not know of it, and with everything else going on in Land Rover, I could have missed it. Thanks for the challenge. Going back to work now.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, you are really good at your job. I appreciate your professionalism, and enthusiasm for Land Rovers.

Are you going to do Trek this fall? I think you would get along really well with the parts manager at LR Mission Viejo. He's part of the ********* that is going to Trek. Name is Darrin Simons. Really good guy.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did Trek in 2003. The hardest day I ever had, but a bunch of fun. I'm letting some younger up and comers take the day for this event, but if one can't make it, I'm going.

Thanks for your commnets. I think what makes or breaks a dealer is if they have the passion, or if they are going in to do a job with cars every day. For the staff here, I can say the majority have the passion. Thanks Again.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave thanks for the quick intel on the LR3 hood decals. Are they something I could order from you?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could, but I prefer you deal with your locals unless they are totally bad. I'm more on the board to soak up knowledge and help out where I can than to drum up business.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99