LR4 5.0 Antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM antifreeze at the dealer is not expensive. It isn't worth risking compatibility issues to save five or ten bucks, IMO.

If you switch to anything else, I'd drain & refill with water, run to operating temp with heater on to circulate water everywhere, then drain again to flush all the old stuff out... then refill with whatever you're gambling on.

Keep in mind this cooling system has aluminum block, heads, radiator, and lots of plastic parts.

:eek:

buckeyeLR4

Reaction score
Is Dex-cool safe? My parents 97 blazer used dexcool and it turned into a thick mud plugging up everything in the motor to the radiator.
GM cars came with Dexcool so I doubt it was mixed. We had it in a Malibu, Horrible stuff. Do not recommend.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many, many horror stories about DexCool… Google if you want to read up on it.

However, the Land Rover antifreeze is supposed to be a similar formula - but I don't know if it's identical. Or if the newer versions of DexCool are "fixed" to eliminate the problems with the original stuff. Either way, the OE/dealer Land Rover stuff would be the safe route. Part number LRN2279, ~$25 from aftermarket vendors if you don't have a local dealer. I think my dealer charged about the same for 1 gallon.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/land-rover-engine-coolant-antifreeze-genuine-rover-rov-lrn2279

s-l640.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72