LR4 info display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnR

Reaction score
I just bought a new LR4 HSE lux.

The sales brochure specifically mentions that the drivers LCD displays "infotainment highlights".
I see a similar picture in the owners manual too, but can't find any direct mention of it.

My car shows nothing.

Do other people see any info there?

JR

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that was Land Rover's intention originally... But it never happened. At first they were talking about introducing the feature (display of navigation directional arrows, MP3 playback info,etc) on later production 2010s, but they must have hit some type of technological brick wall or something. Latest I heard is that they will not implement the "enhanced" TFT display until MY2012! Until then, that display seems like an awful waste of real estate space.

JohnR

Reaction score
wow, that's amazing!!

I really like this car, but I've got to say that the nav, audio and other controls are the
most baffling of any I've ever used. I've never had to spend so much time reading
an owners manual over and over!!

It's really hard to believe that my 7-yr old Infiniti had a better nav system, or
that you can buy a $150 portable GPS that does more and is easier to use.

Anyway, thanks so much for the reply,
JR

zgaspen

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for an LR4 to demo overnight to play with stuff like this, and while eons ahead of the system I tested in 2007, I'm bracing myself for the disappointment. If memory serves, on either my test drive of the 2010 RRS or LR4 the TFT showed "mp3 track 3" or something totally useless like that. I don't know if it had to do with the dealer's iPod lacking data, or if that's all the more it reads. I'd expect the latter. Coming off an MDX, though, there's going to be no way they can match the tech....telling myself all the things the LR will do where the MDX won't wishing they could do both!

JohnR

Reaction score
Well, if you saw "mp3 track 3", that's a whole lot more than mine shows.
I'll have to take it up with the dealer along with my other laundry list of items.

As I said earlier, most of my issues have been resolved by re-re-reading the owners manual, but it shouldn't be that difficult!!

...and speaking of matching the tech.
Why do you have to know all the secret voice commands?
Why can't you just say "Navigation" and have a list of the next commands show up on the display?

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re. the audio info available when playing from an iPod or USB drive - I have found the file info available and navigation between files to be as good as any after market iPod player. Track info is displayed (artist, track name, podcast name etc) as I would expect for when it is included. Folder navigation is simple (up one level, up to top level etc).
My biggest complaint for the entire system is with the Nav. Entering a destination is quick and fairly simple (once you have practiced a few times) except for the final step. You enter the address, it shows on a map (with arrows to adjust the "crosshairs") and then you have to hit "destination" then "route" or something convoluted to do with the fact is offering up 3 route options. What about a shortcut, enter address, click start, boom.

CHT

Reaction score
Re. the audio info available when playing from an iPod or USB drive - I have found the file info available and navigation between files to be as good as any after market iPod player. Track info is displayed (artist, track name, podcast name etc) as I would expect for when it is included. Folder navigation is simple (up one level, up to top level etc).
My biggest complaint for the entire system is with the Nav. Entering a destination is quick and fairly simple (once you have practiced a few times) except for the final step. You enter the address, it shows on a map (with arrows to adjust the "crosshairs") and then you have to hit "destination" then "route" or something convoluted to do with the fact is offering up 3 route options. What about a shortcut, enter address, click start, boom.

The lack of audio information on the TFT was disappointing, but not a deal killer for me. It was disappointing...even my 2005 Audi has this information in the driver display. As far as Nav, Audio, MP3, etc., I have no issues. On the Nav, if you are offered several rout3 options but then hit "destination" or something like that, it will automatically default to the first option. No need to go through some convoluted procedure. After using the Nav for over a month, it is more than adequate and the visuals work well once you understand them. My only issue with the Nav is that sometimes it routes me home or to places I know in the most indirect fashion possible (my portable Tom Tom sends me the right way).

Last edited:

JohnR

Reaction score

As you say, the track info is displayed on the big screen, but it's lost amongst a clutter of other information.
There's lots of screen real estate, but the info is crammed up into a small space,
and is limited to only a few characters.
You have to touch the screen to see more.

That crosshair step on the nav is totally unnecessary!
No one is going to adjust their destination a few feet either way.
That should be an optional step for certain.

My biggest peeve with the nav is that I can't pick a destination while driving.
My Infiniti let me do a "Quick Stop". That is, while driving I could see the top
five POI categories (no scrolling) pick one and see the 5 nearest options.
I absolutely couldn't believe that while driving on the interstate, I couldn't
quickly route myself to the nearest gas station or fast food place!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72