LR4 Ordering/Build/Delivery tracking process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrrb

Reaction score
First Land Rover exerience. When ordering Audi's as an example, there were descreet steps that could be tracked through the system: (1) order placed and commission # assigned, (2) order is pulled and VIN assigned w/build date, (3) transit from factory, (3) port stock, (4) transit inland, (5) dealer stock.

Is there something like this for Land Rover? Once an order is placed from the dealer what is the first opportunity to get some sort of confirmation from Land Rover (commission # or VIN) that the order is real? Thanks.

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know a lot of you ordered your LR4's -- what is the experience like?

I've been told by the dealer that a deposit is required, and I should expect to wait about 3 months for delivery. What else is there? Does LR keep you updated on the progress? I read about one manufacturer that actually lets you monitor your vehicle via web cams (can't remember who).

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often does LR put out "order calls?" I notified my dealer that I wanted to order a 2012 HSE two weeks ago, but the order still hasn't been placed. I get the feeling there's not much rhyme or reason as to when this occurs. Is it all based on production and inventory levels?

I've also been told not to expect much in the way of updates once the order's been placed, as LR isn't very "high tech" when it comes to the order process.

ChicagoSammo

Reaction score
Irrb - Once your order is placed by the dealer they will know the approximate delivery date and VIN.
GrizzId - Your dealer wants to know that you are serious and not going to go awol when the vehicle is delivered so a deposit is a fair thing to ask for. It's not like they are asking for half of the cost upfront. My dealer jokes that he'll take anything, a shoe even, just something to give both parties the tacit implication that the deal will be completed at delivery. If you are ordering some freaky options and colour schemes expect the dealer to ask for more than $1k as they will be stuck with "unique" car to sell if you renege.
As regards order days it varies depending on the Dealership's available inventory volume from LR. Speak to your dealer, they should be very open with you as it is your car that they've ordered for you.

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChicagoSammo,

Thanks for the info. I never had a problem with the deposit -- perfectly acceptable on a $50,000-$65,000 vehicle.

What I was a little surprised with was the lack of communication between Land Rover Corporate and my dealer. It was basically: tell us what you want, give us a cc number and we'll let you know when the order gets placed. Could be tomorrow, could be a month -- just depends on when the order call comes around. In my case, it's been over 2 weeks (well within their estimates).

My dealer has been very friendly and up-front when I call to inquire. They just apologize and say they expected the order call to come sooner -- they're not sure what's taking so long. I'm guessing it's because Land Rover's sales are up 30-40% year-over-year...supply and demand.

At any rate, in today's day and age, I would expect friendly email updates and things of that nature to improve the "customer experience."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72