LR4 owner needs help from LR3 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to Land Rover family. I got LR4 but need hepl from LR3 owners regarding rock sliders. I posted a message on LR4 forum but it looks like most LR4 owner are focused on Satelite radio, changing letters on the hood, changing halogens lights etc.
Someone advised me to go to LR3 forum for help..
I took my track off road and had a lot of fan. My friend who is only into Jeeps was impressed with LR4 performence on the trail.
I got few scratches here and there and I am thinking about getting good rock sliders. I think it should not be different from LR3.
Here is my questions. Does anyone know how much difference is between rock sliders from RoverRacks.com and Rover Specilties. At first glanced they look very similar in design.

Thank you for any feedback.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am an LR3 owner and I have the same question on the differences. I have seen the RS Sliders in use and they are awesome. I like the price on the RR Sliders a lot better...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the RR sliders but the RS Sliders are awesome. As for scratches, invest in a good polish, like that shown here: www.zainostore.com

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the question comes down to the level of protection you want, and what obstacles you will be wheeling over.

The RS sliders tie into the frame and cover the compressor.

The RoverRacks just mount to the sill and do not connect to the frame. They do not cover the compressor.

So if compressor coverage is something you are interested in go RS - if not, the RoverRacks will keep the sill from getting crushed, but you may damage the compressor/airtank if something comes up and grabs it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the question comes down to the level of protection you want, and what obstacles you will be wheeling over.

The RS sliders tie into the frame and cover the compressor.

The RoverRacks just mount to the sill and do not connect to the frame. They do not cover the compressor.

So if compressor coverage is something you are interested in go RS - if not, the RoverRacks will keep the sill from getting crushed, but you may damage the compressor/airtank if something comes up and grabs it.
Also worth noting, is that there has been feedback here that the full coverage ones (RS I guess) create more noise in the truck. I think it creates a baffle and traps noises that would have otherwise exited the bottom of the vehicle.

Might not be an issue to you, but if you don't go offroad too much, sill protection may be all you need.

It's all here-say for me, though. I don't have either, just wish someone around me sold them. :(

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your feedback.
It looks like RS sliders are the way to go. Extra underbody protection never hurts.
I am not very experianced as for off roading ( just starting), but the trail I took my LR4 on, was not the easy one. Very few stock 4x4 trucks would finish it.( high clearance of LR4 was really needed)
At one point I had some people watching closely my performance. Probably they thought I was crazy taking a brand new LR4 on this trail. With a help from a spotter I had no problems.
I am not crazy, my friend who was with me used to do some serious off roading so his tips were helpful.
I ma planning to take this car off road more often ( it was one of the reason to buy it),so down the road I may regret not getting extra protection wchich RS sliders provide.
How much extra noise are we talking about with RS sliders and at waht speed.
My LR4 is my on weekends and my wife's daily driver. It also serves as our family car.
Is the extra noise really bad? LR4 is very quiet to start with, so maybe this should not be a real problem.

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the RS sliders slim option- and love them. Great protection. I agree with Toddjb122, there is a slight difference in the noise. You can hear the compressor more, but only at idle, and for me it isn't an irritating sound. The other thing I notice is a little more vibration/resonation on acceleration. For me, again, not irritiating, but its there. I don't hear or feel a difference when cruising at any speed. To get the RS sliders on, you have to take the insulated cover off the compressor. I dont think the cover is needed for anything except noise insulation. Some on this forum have mounted the compressor higher- I think you can get a modified bracket if you prefer to keep the cover on. The LR3 is pretty quiet anyway, I imagine the LR4 is quiter, so if you want the protection I dont think the extra noise will bother you.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't count out the Rover Racks sliders just yet, When i first learned they came out I got excited because i have their Rack and ladder, so i know they'd be good build build quality. I asked them about the compressor issue and the told me they'd be including a plate to cover it on the driver's side. Also you can support the weight of the car on them:

NOV%2014%20Download%20019.JPG

NOV%2014%20Download%20023.JPG

And the tubeless ones are for sale @$799 now.

also I made a thread on them back when they came out, which can be found here:
New LR3/4 Slider Option

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM