LR4 Roof Rack Question(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And rear last
1465196_10151754430211993_1817412380_n.jpg

Tightening the front and rear bolts will bend down the rail on both ends and allow it to shape flush with the roof
1463734_10151754430276993_1747597118_n.jpg

1450179_10151754430336993_422317109_n.jpg

The plastic tips that go on the end of the rails do not sit totally flush on the roof. They do press down on the trimmed rail guards.

Jomalo

Reaction score
Thanks! (sorry a little late)

How many skis can you get on that setup.. I usually travel with 3-4 pairs of skis and atleast one snowboard. I'm wondering if I should get a ski box or the setup that you used in this example.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with roof racks, I will want to avoid hiding/covering the "Alpine Windows" which is one of the features I really like on the LR4. So I would likely want a setup that I can put on from time to time or maybe for 3 months when I am going up in the mountains a lot but being able to easily take it off when I don't want it. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with roof racks, I will want to avoid hiding/covering the "Alpine Windows" which is one of the features I really like on the LR4. So I would likely want a setup that I can put on from time to time or maybe for 3 months when I am going up in the mountains a lot but being able to easily take it off when I don't want it. Any suggestions on how to do that?
If you get a full-sized (or even a half-rack) from Voyager, Urban Offroad, Baja, etc. then you definitely lose a lot of the view from the Alpine windows. That is one negative aspect about having a rack, it basically closes off the roof-top glass. My passengers can look through the sky lights, but all they see is chicken coop flooring and darkness - haha!

The roof racks I mentioned above are not really meant to take on and off regularly - at least I would not do it. Your best bet would be to get the roof rails, cross bars, and then maybe a good basket that clamps onto the cross bars. I know Yakima and Thule make them at various sizes, as well as other companies (universal ones as well). I looked into putting a smaller one toward the front of my rack for my spare tire.

I would say getting the clamp on basket is your best bet - easy on and off. The rack I have and from Voyager are not meant to be on and off.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that Finlay brought a great option to the table for you if you are looking for something that can EASILY be taken off or put back on depending on what activities and needs you will have.

I have the Yakima cross bars with a cheaper Rola basket with extension. I purchased this basket for mainly the price but it works for my needs. As mentioned, there are many quality universal baskets including Yakima and Thule. Mine simply has a lower and upper bracket that you screw together with wing nuts (knob over the nut). It may take 10 minutes for me to take it off and to put on by myself.... just a little balancing over over my head and assistance from a bucket to step on to slide it across the bars!!!

The noise isn't terrible with the basket... but its there! There is another thread where some install a flooring which helps. When the basket is off, I put my Yakima fairing on which cuts down the noise from the bars greatly.

Attachments

• 20131204_112154.jpg
    20131204_112154.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20131210_094141.jpg
    20131210_094141.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 57

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that Finlay brought a great option to the table for you if you are looking for something that can EASILY be taken off or put back on depending on what activities and needs you will have.

I have the Yakima cross bars with a cheaper Rola basket with extension. I purchased this basket for mainly the price but it works for my needs. As mentioned, there are many quality universal baskets including Yakima and Thule. Mine simply has a lower and upper bracket that you screw together with wing nuts (knob over the nut). It may take 10 minutes for me to take it off and to put on by myself.... just a little balancing over over my head and assistance from a bucket to step on to slide it across the bars!!!

The noise isn't terrible with the basket... but its there! There is another thread where some install a flooring which helps. When the basket is off, I put my Yakima fairing on which cuts down the noise from the bars greatly.
I think this is the best set up for someone who does not want a permanent rack.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So for this setup you do not use (or even have) the standard LR roof rails? Or do the Yakima crossbars attach to the roof rails. I don't mind the roof rails. But I would like to take the crossbars and basked off when not using them.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for this setup you do not use (or even have) the standard LR roof rails? Or do the Yakima crossbars attach to the roof rails. I don't mind the roof rails. But I would like to take the crossbars and basked off when not using them.

Yes, I do have the roof rails and feel that the rails would be your best bet for removal as well. With the rails, you slide the base to the landing pads from the end to where you want the pads. This makes your whole setup less permanent. After you slide the base bracket in the rail, you connect the landing pad by screwing into the bracket within the rail... not into your roof.

After that, you just connect the towers to the landing pads and slide the cross bars through. For removal, you can leave the landing pads on and just remove the towers and bars if you want. You can leave the landing pads on to make your install the next time easy without having to line anything up again. They make covers for the landing pads if you wanted to leave them on... very slimline in my opinion and the pads do not stick up that far.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, I do have the roof rails and feel that the rails would be your best bet for removal as well. With the rails, you slide the base to the landing pads from the end to where you want the pads. This makes your whole setup less permanent. After you slide the base bracket in the rail, you connect the landing pad by screwing into the bracket within the rail... not into your roof.

After that, you just connect the towers to the landing pads and slide the cross bars through. For removal, you can leave the landing pads on and just remove the towers and bars if you want. You can leave the landing pads on to make your install the next time easy without having to line anything up again. They make covers for the landing pads if you wanted to leave them on... very slimline in my opinion and the pads do not stick up that far.

Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. In fact this forum is very helpful - and I don't even own a LR yet!

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. In fact this forum is very helpful - and I don't even own a LR yet!

You're absolutely welcome man! This forum is a great place for help and sharing opinions! We will be looking forward to see what setups you end up with deciding what's best for your needs!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM