LR4s out there holding their value maybe more than just quite well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually think the test mules were the perfect modern take on the old Defender. They looked beefy and chiseled and I though that was going to be a sure-fire hit; it was not until studying the images hours later that it was evident to me that the hood and roof lines were just cosmetic cover ups. That was a let-down, but I was still curious for the next year until the big reveal, that is when my heart sank. Oh well...it's growing on me slightly, but it still looks goofy to me, as does the D5.

y-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100681962_h.jpg
Man I loved that squared off version....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder when the LR4 will be seen as just too old to bother with by those who want to daily drive one and looked at instead as a semi-collectible for examples well cared for with low miles.

At that point, good samples may be even more rare than usual given that at this point, so many years after production, most models are not as sought-after. What I mean is that in 5 years, finding any LR4 with under 100k miles will be pretty freakin' rare and more rare than usual for a typical vehicle model population of that age and type.

Did anyone else here own an original (2001-2005) Audi allroad? The LR4 is "deja vu all over again" if you did. I had a 2002 allroad then another 2005 before they became extinct and morphed into the "smallroad" we all hated. We all agreed that the 2.7T engine, 6MT transmission, air suspension, luxury interior, ample passenger and cargo room were a perfect combination and we could never drive anything else. And the rather square and boxy style was timeless. Sound familiar?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The New Defender has taken an odd journey in my head of intrigued > horrified > interested > I can't believe they've done this > growing on me.

The D5 has taken a more steady, downward trajectory of *** > Ugly > burn it.

My biggest issue with the New Defender is its ugliness comes by virtue of try-hard ugly. Whereas the ugliness of the Ineos Grenadier is more of a austere ugliness.

The Grenadier also currently has the benefit of being on the dreamshelf, where we don't even know if it's ever going to really materialize generally, come to the U.S. specifically, and be readily available even more specifically, and therefore can take the form of whatever we want it to be so long as it's on that shelf.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd like to know what the maintenance bills were to get to 400K miles! It looks remarkably clean for that much mileage, so I suspect this person spared no expense in keeping it maintained. Good to know it can get there!

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The New Defender has taken an odd journey in my head of intrigued > horrified > interested > I can't believe they've done this > growing on me.

Warning: The next 2 steps on this journey are the impressive test drive followed by spending $80K to order one.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Age...The newest LR3 is now 12 years old. And rust...I recently saw an LR3 from Nantucket Island with 13,000 miles getting a new frame installed.

Frame being replaced within only fourteen years of service is really not a good example of durability and longevity and should not be acceptable for a $45k-51k plus product (a lot more money at the time and equivalent to what a D5 /Defender costs today) from a prestige, luxury, expensive brand, even if it lived in a harsh snow/road salt environment such as new england, etc, a setting where this LR product was really supposedly designed, engineered, and meant to dwell in.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 has taken a more steady, downward trajectory of *** > Ugly > burn it.

My biggest issue with the New Defender is its ugliness comes by virtue of try-hard ugly. Whereas the ugliness of the Ineos Grenadier is more of a austere ugliness.

Ha @ "burn it"

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dont shoot it down design wise before seeing one in person. The car definitely has some presence and does look much better in real life, either on the showroom floor or passing by you on the road or parked on the curbside, than in pictures.

Its only until you sit on the driver' seat and/or a second row seat that you start planning on buying an extended warranty option for your LR4.

But it could be that for some the lack of CDP/stadium seating would not be a deal breaker and they would wanna give it a shot.

After witnessing first hand how clueless the top LR brass is (regarding their own products and customers' areas of interest as far as functionality) at that private event, I think they were just unaware that the CDP/Stadium seating, etc are not the sought after features in an LR product by offroaders only. The non-offroading, beverly hills/rodeo drive buyers are equally as interested in these key LR DNA attributes as the traditional LR off roaders.

Otherwise why even bother considering an LR 4x4? Both BMW and Audi make great AWD SUVs if you are ok with not having the CDP/stadium seating type of features.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72