LR4s out there holding their value maybe more than just quite well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I saw that lawsuit loss. Good.

Also to clarify Apple makes 1/3 of the global revenue and 2/3 of the global profits because they're masters at selling a lux brand WHILE increasing gross margin while everybody else races to the bottom and goes margin negative (Apple's span 40-60% gross, the competitors are in the <10% range). Not sure it translates here.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/12/19/apple-takes-home-a-third-of-smartphone-revenue-two-thirds-of-profits/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but do you also see the level of ridiculous amounts of innovation that that joint constantly pumps out, and as a result, constantly driving and pushing its competitors to strive for their own while keeping them on edge all the time.

And due to all this, who wins at the end of the day? Little guy like me.

Also, its not just about Apple being able to masterfully sell a lux brand, try holding any apple product in your hands for a few secs, and trust me you'll know that its worth every penny. Thats what sells an Apple product, not their ability to sell. Much like what sells an LR3/4 even to this day and not the subpar advertising/marketing that LR did for it.

The level of exacting standards, craftsmanship, longevity, and durability in an Apple product are far above the rest and thats why customers are more than happy to splurge hundreds for anything Apple.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The level of exacting standards, craftsmanship, longevity, and durability are far above the rest and thats why customers are more than happy to splurge hundreds

They even got me to accept the needle and steady drip fix of their iPhone Upgrade Program. I just became a lifetime lessee of iPhones and will never stop paying for the fun.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the LR4, but the only thing that could make it better for me is if it had the RRS diesel. I've got an RRS Td6. It's a blast to drive. The fuel economy is way better and as a result, the range is 150-200 miles better. But, as awesome as the RRS is, it's the LR4 that I'm pretty sure I'll still have 10 years from now.

Beats me why LR felt the need to offer TDV6 in RRS but not in a model in the entire lineup that needed it the most, aka LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in the FFRR, the TDV6 wasn't available stateside until the 2016 model year. Of course, in true LR fashion, they offer the FFRR with the engine people would want but with no option for rear locker (only available with the Supercharged 5.0).

I have seen some reports of Land Rover testing diesel Defenders in the U.S., but those would be the new ingenium diesels which I'm not too sure about.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen some reports of Land Rover testing diesel Defenders in the U.S., but those would be the new ingenium diesels which I'm not too sure about.

Yeah I am gonna have to wait this new engine tech out and see how that goes. Not planning to spend any cash on a new LR engine until it matures/gets debugged/things revised, etc.

I skipped the first MY 2005 LR3 all together and waited out one full year before I purchased my 06 for the same reasons. Went the same safe route for LR4 by waiting it out until 2012. Not a fan of beta testing vehicles for LR with my own money.

Also, it would be one thing if I trusted the LR service techs, so if a design-flawed, faulty sensor, buried deep down inside the motor, failed on the first MY batch and had to be replaced, I would not worry about getting it replaced, etc. But my experience with LR service has been extremely bad all around.

LR dealerships mostly wanna hire junior techs with no experience with low salaries, and these young junior techs are really not up to the task regardless of their training. The work ethics, care, and workmanship are just not there due to their young age and non caring attitudes. Add the pressure by the service advisors to get stuff done quicker to increase the bottom line and/or because the daily rental loaner is costing them, and the product care goes out the window.

And post service/release, if the customer returns to get something fixed/reseated/adjusted which should have been done and taken care of properly at the first visit to begin with, the dealership ends up making more money off of LR because there are many ways for them to write that work order internally. They could easily write it up as "the replacement part was faulty" or something so "it had to be replaced again with another new part", etc, covering up their internal operator error or screwups.

This entire setup is quite frustrating and there is always this looming fear that they might screw something else up if I have them replace this trim piece or that part.

Does not matter either if the service manager is experienced and your friend and you have a good relationship with them, they cannot really control and micromanage how the work is performed buy a tech on a vehicle.

Wish LRNA owned, ran, and maintained their own service departments reporting directly to LRNA only, at least in their major markets so dealing with all this nonsense adding to a really bad ownership experience could go away.

Last edited:

777AIA

Reaction score
So.. why aren’t LR3 prices advancing like LR4’s. They actually have the higher level of technology. Odd...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. why aren’t LR3 prices advancing like LR4’s. They actually have the higher level of technology. Odd...

Age...The newest LR3 is now 12 years old. And rust...I recently saw an LR3 from Nantucket Island with 13,000 miles getting a new frame installed.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A bit confused by the “higher technology” piece... not sure that’s accurate. I would argue that the LR3 is more reliable with the 4.4. For the Lr4, a failed crossover pipe will grenade the 5.0 and there’s that pesky timing chain issue, but LR4 has higher tech and a more refined/updated interior.

I would suggest that buyers are looking for well sorted LR4s right now, but probably a low miles and well cared for (not rusted) LR3 will appreciate as well. I don’t think LR dealers will want the LR3, but the LR4 has demand for it that dealers know is not satisfied in the D5 or the new Defender.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont consider myself a traditionalist. I consider myself a modernist. I am not looking for tradition here.

I loved the design of the orig Discovery (series I and II), but I loved the redesign (LR3) way more even though it was missing the alpines of the D2, not because it looked little bit like the D2 but because it looked modern and still looks modern to this day. I appreciated the LR3 not because of its traditional roots or heritage but purely because of its modern day functionality.

And for the light source, the third row moonroof in LR3 way more than made up for the missing alpines while the rear quarter panel exterior area (*********, flushed glass window running vertically into the roof) looking far more **** than the D2. Perfect design evolution, and a great example of not being harnessed by the past.

I like the design of the new Defender not because of its nods to the past (alpine windows and tapered roof front, non-functional checkered plates on the hood, etc.), I like it because of its modern, graceful, and minimalist styling.

As for the alpines on the new Defender, I really dont think they bring anything to the table as far as modern visual aesthetics. And inside the cabin, not sure if they bring more airy, roomy feel because the light source is way too deep into the headliner/roof. A better job/implementation could have been done here.

I am that customer who McGovern is trying to sell his product(s) to.

I actually think the test mules were the perfect modern take on the old Defender. They looked beefy and chiseled and I though that was going to be a sure-fire hit; it was not until studying the images hours later that it was evident to me that the hood and roof lines were just cosmetic cover ups. That was a let-down, but I was still curious for the next year until the big reveal, that is when my heart sank. Oh well...it's growing on me slightly, but it still looks goofy to me, as does the D5.

y-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100681962_h.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that buyers are looking for well sorted LR4s right now, but probably a low miles and well cared for (not rusted) LR3 will appreciate as well. I don’t think LR dealers will want the LR3, but the LR4 has demand for it that dealers know is not satisfied in the D5 or the new Defender.

I wonder when the LR4 will be seen as just too old to bother with by those who want to daily drive one and looked at instead as a semi-collectible for examples well cared for with low miles.

At that point, good samples may be even more rare than usual given that at this point, so many years after production, most models are not as sought-after. What I mean is that in 5 years, finding any LR4 with under 100k miles will be pretty freakin' rare and more rare than usual for a typical vehicle model population of that age and type.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi